Please make the stablators sag when you shut down.

SickSidewinder9

Just like the title says:  shouldn't the stablators sag back when the plane shuts down?  Instead they stay at whatever trim you were at.  It looks especially odd when you pull up to a bunch of unstarted or static or ai controlled Hornets and all their tails are sagging, then you shutdown and yours are still trimmed nose high.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

What?  How?

It takes time! I've never stood there and watched IRL, but it takes time for the Hydraulics to bleed off. I'm not even sure if it is implemented in DCS because, who would waste time waiting for that just to see the horizontal stabs droop? 

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Per NATOPS you shut down left engine first, wait until hyd press drops to... I\m not sure now, I think 2 on the gauge, then you pump your joystick forward-aft to bleed L hyd pres. Then when you shut down right engine monitor right hyd pres gauge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

It takes time! I've never stood there and watched IRL, but it takes time for the Hydraulics to bleed off. I'm not even sure if it is implemented in DCS because, who would waste time waiting for that just to see the horizontal stabs droop? 

I do....

just for the sake of doing it, after I watched a real pilot talking about the ground crew having to bleed the hydraulics manually with a lever ( lots of elbow grease).

If you keep the battery on, and you move continuosly the stick, the stabs will gradually move less and eventually stop moving, but I can not say if the will finally sag down.

Just a freky thing, I m affraid.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

I do....

just for the sake of doing it, after I watched a real pilot talking about the ground crew having to bleed the hydraulics manually with a lever ( lots of elbow grease).

If you keep the battery on, and you move continuosly the stick, the stabs will gradually move less and eventually stop moving, but I can not say if the will finally sag down.

Just a freky thing, I m affraid.

Saludos.

Saca111

Ha! Let us know if it works out. 

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Interesting.  I figured with the engines off, the hydraulic pressure would release itself and there would be sag from the weight of the tail planes.  I'll have to try it.

I'm not an engineer, so I guess I don't quite understand how the system works.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

On 10/3/2023 at 3:45 AM, Nealius said:

Part of the shutdown procedure is to pump the stick back and forth to bleed hyd pressure before shutting down the last engine, isn't it? Never really bothered with it though.

correct, and if you do, you can observe the pressure dropping on the hyd press indicator (below radalt). i on the other hand never bothered to verify, if as an effect the stabilators would drop...😆

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You don't have to wait for the hydraulic pressure to drop. You can get the same stab angle as the parked F-18s by doing this:

Before you shut down put the flaps to full down, then trim the stabs to full nose down, -11 degrees, which you can see by selecting FCS on an MFD. The stabs are then identical to the parked planes.

The thing I can't figure out is how to set the rudders to a straight position like the parked planes have. When the flaps are down the rudders are in a speed brake position. Maybe they will straighten when the hydraulic pressure is gone, I haven't tried that.

On 10/3/2023 at 4:45 AM, Nealius said:

Part of the shutdown procedure is to pump the stick back and forth to bleed hyd pressure before shutting down the last engine, isn't it? Never really bothered with it though.

This is indeed done after the first engine shutdown but prior the second one is shut to check proper operation of the switching valves. You should not get any abnormal dings or X'es for the flight controls when hydraulics re-configure as the hydraulic pressure of the system supplied by the shut down engine drops. The pressure gauge in the cockpit shows the brake accumulator pressure. It will not drop during normal shutdown.

It is not done to specifically bleed any pressure from the system, and is not 'required' for the stabs to droop after shutdown - they'll do that very much on their own!

Edited by AKarhu

• 3 weeks later...