STECS Standard - First Impressions

AlpineGTA

• 1 month later...

I got the mini, but with shipping the way it is I also got the button expansion, grip replacements (because...because) and detent frames.  Arrived yesterday and spent last night getting mad at it, in large part because with the throttle all the way forward it would go from sending 100% to 0%.  VKB wirelessly connected to the throttle overnight and fixed all the bugs, so my day today went much better.  Come to think of it, DCS does that, too...pretty sure it has nothing to do with me reading manuals...

Right now my biggest gripe apart from the TDC being on my thumb is the rate at which it slews.  After tweaking software all day I'm not convinced I can't slow those axis down a bit, though.  The other thing is the way the F-18 antenna elevation control works, which isn't VKBs fault.  That makes me want to have multiple button configurations, and I've heard that is also possible.  Given some time I'll look at that tomorrow as well.

If you want videos Jabbers has about 85% of what you need in his review video, and that was done better than the tutorials provided by VKB.  I did need VKBs tutorial to turn an encoder into an axis because Enigma's attempt needed help (boolean?  Huh?).  Then I made it an encoder again once I remembered why the F-18 antenna elevation sucks.

I didn't get any of the button expansions because I build my own.  Up until today I've used a Warthog throttle since forever, but never configured any of the buttons other than those on the grip, and not all of those.  With the significantly improved control density on the STECS more and more get use; the front triggers are 'HORNET BALL' and 'READY PRECONTACT', but that might change.

As for detent frames, that's a point of annoyance.  Apparently you can't set up detents on the black frame (and still call it a black frame).  No idea where that decision came from, but I'd prefer to match the colors on the one that gets the most use.  Seriously, VKB, why make that one special?  So there's one with shutdown and AB detents for real airplanes, one with just the shutdown detent for almost real airplanes (those without an AB), and by default the black frame for helos with, as of now, no detents.  Jabbers set his shutdown to pulse, I did not, and set it to < and mapped to IDLE/OFF.  Works perfectly.

The downside to a shutdown detent (that I will probably never use) is it reduces the throw length, which compresses the travel needed for things like A2AR and formations which are the same, really.  Those detents could be a bit narrower; they eat up a significant amount of travel, and even with two you can tell some real estate is missing.

I'm sorely tempted to take the shutdown detent off and just keep the AB.  The best news is you can tweak the throttle on the fly without restarting DCS.  Mostly.  That didn't apply to changing the encoder to an axis; I had to restart DCS for that to pick up.

The base wants to be flat, but isn't.  When I mounted the throttle I put small (#8) washers under the holes to prop the corners up so the center won't flex.  The whole thing is surprisingly light after using that 100 kilo Warthog throttle for so long and you can just forget about using it on a desk without some kind of mount.  It does not have any kind of rubber or non-skid feet or surface, but that's an advantage for mounting it (almost) flat.

Another point of annoyance is the right throttle handle will move on it's own if the tension is dialed down into me range, so it's stiffer than I prefer.  The fix is to either link them or have more friction than I'm used to, but neither of those make me regret the purchase.  I never linked the WH throttles, but I might try to get used to that with this one.

On the whole I really like it.  For $321 all up, of which about $65 was shipping, it's a great deal.  If you can live without all the 5 way switches and extra detent frames you can get it for a bit less.  Incidentally I almost bought the carrier for all those extra parts ($5, shipping change is sunk cost) but they all came in one, so bonus.

Once this is bolted to something solid it has a wonderful feel, and despite several hundred hours using the WH throttle I didn't have any trouble doing A2AR or formations on this one.  Yes, the throttle position is a little different, but it's tighter and more responsive than the Thrustmaster.  I put off getting a Virpil (I have a Virpil stick) for years because I didn't want the buttons and was unsure about the smaller throw distance.  VKB really nailed this.

The real test will be how well this holds up five, ten years from now.  I could see crud getting in and gumming up the works, but we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I totally understand your confusion when trying to configure with VKBDevCfg for the first time.

After watching the video tutorials on basic editing, you will be very excited afterwards.

If I can recommend for elevation radar, better map the encoder buttons.

Of course, the black frame is just as adjustable as the other colors, in the Detents tab Set#1 and physical rotary switch 1.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 12:33 PM, AlpineGTA said:

The SEM side extension module arrived today so I thought I'd add a couple more pics to show it. It might look like a lot of buttons but I don't believe you can ever have too many for DCS and I like the extra options it gives. I like having the flap and landing gear levers on it, they're easy to find in VR and it frees up the ones on the base module for things like master arm toggle. I've changed the grip colours to green too, it's a bit more subtle.

PXL_20230908_225209222.MP.jpgPXL_20230908_225152982.MP.jpg

Hello, AlpineGTA,

It's a wonderful environment.

I'm also interested in this throttle.

Now, can I ask you a question?

Can I connect the SEM side extension module (GNX SEM-V) to STECS?

Or do I have to purchase the GNX USB Controller (HID-Main) separately and connect it to the PC?

5 hours ago, Falcon_Block50 said:

Hello, AlpineGTA,

It's a wonderful environment.

I'm also interested in this throttle.

Now, can I ask you a question?

Can I connect the SEM side extension module (GNX SEM-V) to STECS?

Or do I have to purchase the GNX USB Controller (HID-Main) separately and connect it to the PC?

Hi,

Yes, you can. The GNX SEM-V comes with a cable that plugs into the front of the STECS. You don't need to purchase a HID-Main, the STECS has it's own USB controller built in. You might want to purchase a GNX MFH (Multi-Functional Holder) to mount it though, if you don't already have one.

Btw, when plugged into the STECS, all the buttons and controls of the GNX SEM will appear in the same column as part of the STECS in DCS controls settings when you're mapping the buttons.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, SCHOOL said:

Thanks for the review. How is the feel on the throttle sliding? Are they wobbly or loose feeling? I really like them to feel solid.

School

They feel very solid to me, I don't notice any wobble in them at all.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

I love the detent options, and the configurability of the buttons

Unfortunately, if I look at the planes I fly (F-14/Spitfire/Harrier), this unit is severely lacking in lever/slider axis compared to an Orion2

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

On 12/25/2023 at 7:29 AM, bingbean said:

Hi AlpineGTA.

What was a reason you did replace the winwing throttle with the STECS? The easy replaceable detent plates, or something else? 

And how much different is winwing joystick with metal spring and cam centering mechanizmus, compared VKB ones?

Hi,

I fly a lot of different modules and wanted a throttle that was more generic with lots of buttons that can be configured for lots of different aircraft. The WinWing is more of a replica throttle, although of course you can still use it on any aircraft, which I did and it's still an excellent throttle. I'd also been waiting a long time for the STECS to come out, I like the quality of VKB products. I only bought the WW because my trusty TM T16000M throttle went faulty, so I upgraded to the WW, but then the STECS happened to be released just a few months later, so I bought that too. I also like how configurable it is, I like how you can swap out the buttons and how it can be combined with other VKB extension modules. And yes, the detent plates were also part of the attraction. They work very well.

I can't compare the WW joystick to VKB, as I only have is the entry level Gladiator K VKB stick, that has a plastic gimble. So although the Gladiator K is a very good stick, I don't think it can be fairly compared to the WW Orion stick with it's metal gimbal. I do like the WW Orion stick though, it feels very good with it's metal grip and adjustable damping. Although, it does have a definite sort of detent that I can feel in pitch forward and back when I cross the centre position, no matter which cams I use, but not side to side. I would like to eventually get a VKB Modern Combat Ultimate stick to compare. 

• 2 weeks later...

After more than three months of playing with STECS Standard, I decided to make my video review of the unit:

Long story short, I like it a lot. But there are still things I don't like (grip encoders mainly), although nothing is a deal-breaker for me. I'm happy for this upgrade from TWCS.

Edited by virgo47
  • Thanks 2

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• 2 weeks later...

I just overflew that thread(haha aviation joke...) however its perfect for fc3 and every other module. I just added some keypads to my setup to have enough buttons so I dont have to use the mouse.(I have two thrustmaster flying clamps to the left and right to me in front of me is my stick. on the left is the throttle and a 12button keypad and to the right are the other keypads.)

Although Axis Z cant be assigned to both thrusters(how is it done?)thats my question. I like my stecs standard throttle very much

Edited by FlyingCoffin

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, AlpineGTA said:

Hi,

Yes, you can. The GNX SEM-V comes with a cable that plugs into the front of the STECS. You don't need to purchase a HID-Main, the STECS has it's own USB controller built in. You might want to purchase a GNX MFH (Multi-Functional Holder) to mount it though, if you don't already have one.

Btw, when plugged into the STECS, all the buttons and controls of the GNX SEM will appear in the same column as part of the STECS in DCS controls settings when you're mapping the buttons.

Hey @AlpineGTA, I got my SEM-V and MFH today, I want a set up like the one you showed us in page 1. Did you have to configure the SEM-V as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQXwQl_IHA

or, beside changing the detents on the flap and gear levers, you just have to plug the module to the STECS and everything will be auto configured?

Edited by Gianky

2 hours ago, Gianky said:

Hey @AlpineGTA, I got my SEM-V and MFH today, I want a set up like the one you showed us in page 1. Did you have to configure the SEM-V as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQXwQl_IHA

or, beside changing the detents on the flap and gear levers, you just have to plug the module to the STECS and everything will be auto configured?

Hi Gianky,

I didn't change the detents on the flap and gear levers, I just left everything default and plugged the SEM-V into the STECS using the supplied Module-to-Module cable. I think then it was just a case of rebooting the STECS and check everything is working in the config software. Good luck.

I've actually just ordered an ATEM module to convert my STECS into a Max. My original plan was to keep the SEM-V and mount the STEM on the right side of my cockpit as a stand-a-alone control panel, but it seems there's no way of doing that without purchasing another SEM module to connect the STEM to. So, for now, I'm going to convert my STECS to a Max and instead move the STEM-V over to the other side and see how I get along with that setup. 

Thank you for your help, @AlpineGTA!

54 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

I've actually just ordered an ATEM module to convert my STECS into a Max. My original plan was to keep the SEM-V and mount the STEM on the right side of my cockpit as a stand-a-alone control panel, but it seems there's no way of doing that without purchasing another SEM module to connect the STEM to. So, for now, I'm going to convert my STECS to a Max and instead move the STEM-V over to the other side and see how I get along with that setup. 

Interesting ideas, let us know how they work for you.

Yes, I'll post new pictures once I have it set up. It might be a while though, they're about to enter the Chinese New Year, so I fear shipping my order might be delayed.

Thank you Alpine, I hope you won't have to wait much.

Meanwhile, I set up the SEM-V with the STECS. As help for others who will do what I did (buying a new module after having the setup the STECS), I'm leaving here a quick description of my experience.

Since I modified the flaps and landing gear lever (changing the internal detent), I had to go through the setup procedure described in the video I linked above, and I ended up having to reset the whole system (STECS standard + SEM-V); I'm not sure if it was because it was the only way, or only because I couldn't find a better way, but after setting up the SEM-V via physical buttons, to set it up in the VKB software, I had to reset the STECS + SEM-V system to default and then set the whole system up again. It was a bit of a pain having to do it all over again, but thankfully the procedure is pretty straightforward after you did it the first time, so it only took time.

I hope this can help others, if they're gonna be in need.

EDIT: I forgot to say, using the STECS Standard with a frontal SEM-V is a blast, especially in VR, now I have basically all the relevant controls at my fingertip, it's really great and VKB products are great pieces of machinery, I love how precise, customizable they are, and how you can mantain them in time (even though you have to learn how, if you're a total noob with hardware like I am!)

Edited by Gianky

3 hours ago, Gianky said:

Thank you Alpine, I hope you won't have to wait much.

Meanwhile, I set up the SEM-V with the STECS. As help for others who will do what I did (buying a new module after having the setup the STECS), I'm leaving here a quick description of my experience.

Since I modified the flaps and landing gear lever (changing the internal detent), I had to go through the setup procedure described in the video I linked above, and I ended up having to reset the whole system (STECS standard + SEM-V); I'm not sure if it was because it was the only way, or only because I couldn't find a better way, but after setting up the SEM-V via physical buttons, to set it up in the VKB software, I had to reset the STECS + SEM-V system to default and then set the whole system up again. It was a bit of a pain having to do it all over again, but thankfully the procedure is pretty straightforward after you did it the first time, so it only took time.

I hope this can help others, if they're gonna be in need.

EDIT: I forgot to say, using the STECS Standard with a frontal SEM-V is a blast, especially in VR, now I have basically all the relevant controls at my fingertip, it's really great and VKB products are great pieces of machinery, I love how precise, customizable they are, and how you can mantain them in time (even though you have to learn how, if you're a total noob with hardware like I am!)

Yes, agreed, that's what I like about VKB, how customisable they are, the build quality and how they are designed for self maintenance and customisation. I'd like to eventually get the Gunfighter IV base and the Modern Combat Ultimate grip. And eventually add the F-14 and WWII grips!

I'm glad you're liking your setup with the SEM-V, I think it works really well for flaps and landing gear. The only reason I want to move the position of my STEM is because I have a slightly dicky left shoulder and reaching back a bit to operate the switches behind the throttle is a bit uncomfortable. I'd prefer to keep the SEM-V in front of the throttle if I could and have the STEM on a right MFH.

Can I ask what changes you made to your flaps and gear lever. Did you remove the detents, or add extra ones?

I switched them with the ones you found in the package. The landing gear one had a three position detent and I put in the two position detent, since the landing gear in basically all DCS modules is just a two position lever.

I thought about removing them and making axes out of the levers, but then I decided it was better to have both work as buttons.

Edited by Gianky
  • Like 1

Do you recommend switching to VKB's throttle or better to keep the throttle warthog?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 5:52 PM, Aviators said:

Do you recommend switching to VKB's throttle or better to keep the throttle warthog?

I believe that's a matter of preference, spare money and how well the Warthog works for you at this moment. I wanted dual throttle, but if TWCS kept working as new, I'd probably wait (price sensitivity). Because it failed (constant pot maintenance needed, TDC unreliable) I decided to upgrade and STECS Standard was my natural choice. I also considered Virpil's throttle.

I recently compared STECS Standard with both Virpil (theoretically, as I don't have it, but did some research about it when considering it) and TWCS (more from the upgrade perspective, as these are not comparable):

• Thanks 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine on Monday very quick delivery. Amazing hardware the software is a bit over whelming, but some good videos on YouTube. 

Question can we use the throttle wheels x 2 on the left throttle as AXIS . They trigger as buttons . 

Any ideas.

We can have upto 8 axis  I think in the  software.

Thanks . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .