Dynamic Foveated Rendering - Everything in one page

mbucchia

I repeatedly see all these success stories of people now being in fps heaven but something must be off with mine. What kind of numbers are y'all getting on the ground and low flights in metropolitan areas? With in game settings near the default VR which has most things set to low, I can't get above 50fps on the ground with some places dropping to 30s when testing. It's only at high altitudes I can get anywhere from 80fps - 100+.

I'm pretty sure it's all working. The debug tool follows my eyes, calibration in Pimax play appears accurate. I've tried a wide range of numbers in the quadviews companion app from 100% to 200% resolution. No change. I think I have a pretty good system with a 4080, 5800 X3D and 32gb. Any idea what could be off?

1 hour ago, EazyE said:

I repeatedly see all these success stories of people now being in fps heaven but something must be off with mine. What kind of numbers are y'all getting on the ground and low flights in metropolitan areas? With in game settings near the default VR which has most things set to low, I can't get above 50fps on the ground with some places dropping to 30s when testing. It's only at high altitudes I can get anywhere from 80fps - 100+.

I'm pretty sure it's all working. The debug tool follows my eyes, calibration in Pimax play appears accurate. I've tried a wide range of numbers in the quadviews companion app from 100% to 200% resolution. No change. I think I have a pretty good system with a 4080, 5800 X3D and 32gb. Any idea what could be off?

First off - what is your resolution setting in the Pimax Play app? 

Have you altered that resolution (up or down) set by the Pimax Play app by using openXR Tookit while ingame with that apps system menu - Override resolution function? 

100%-200% resolution... I guess that is refering to your multiplier for the focused area. I don't  use the Quadview companion app, so I set my multiplier by manually alterering a config file (your way is probably easier, but I found my "gold setting" right away so I won't play around with it anymore anyway. Not for now..)So in the settings file the multiplier is set by, like say 1.0 is the same as 100%, and 0.5 is the same as 50% and so on. So here are my settings that gives me 90 fps:

In Pimax  Play -Maximum resolution. BUT - that gives a very high resolution as starting point for all the multipliers - 4312x5102 or something crazy high like that.

So in OpenXR Tookit, while in game, I enter its System menu, which is almost all the way to right, one step down to Override resolution - change that to yes, and lower the resolution there to 3800x4497 (or something like that. It is 3800 multiplied by something). That gives lower and in my eyes more realistic starting point. Now you have to restart DCS to make that take effect before seeing any effect of that change. 

As for changes in the Quadview companion app? None. I don't use it. But I guess that would be the same as setting everything to default in that app. (Not sure though cause I don't use it).

So defaults gives me Focus area=1.0 multiplier (equals 100%), out of focus area multiplier is 0.5  (equals 50% in the app) (or I think I actually changed that to 0.4 -40% then--you get the idea). But nothing else is changed. So my in focus area is rendered at 3800x4497 resolution and the out of focus area at 40 (or to) % of that. Also Quadview gives 70% sharpening as default, so I don't change that or use that function in the OpenXR toolkit either.

If I was to use 200% for the in focus area then that would make the in focus render at 7600x8994. I don't need that. It just slows the system way too much down even though the in focus area isn't that big part of the picture . And even if lower the out of focus area a lot, I think the difference between in focus and than transition to out focus are would be to apparant. Also-  3800x4497 in the in focus area is pretty clear! 

I have i9 13900K and RTX 4090. 

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

6 hours ago, Peedee said:

First off - what is your resolution setting in the Pimax Play app? 

Have you altered that resolution (up or down) set by the Pimax Play app by using openXR Tookit while ingame with that apps system menu - Override resolution function? 

100%-200% resolution... I guess that is refering to your multiplier for the focused area. I don't  use the Quadview companion app, so I set my multiplier by manually alterering a config file (your way is probably easier, but I found my "gold setting" right away so I won't play around with it anymore anyway. Not for now..)So in the settings file the multiplier is set by, like say 1.0 is the same as 100%, and 0.5 is the same as 50% and so on. So here are my settings that gives me 90 fps:

In Pimax  Play -Maximum resolution. BUT - that gives a very high resolution as starting point for all the multipliers - 4312x5102 or something crazy high like that.

So in OpenXR Tookit, while in game, I enter its System menu, which is almost all the way to right, one step down to Override resolution - change that to yes, and lower the resolution there to 3800x4497 (or something like that. It is 3800 multiplied by something). That gives lower and in my eyes more realistic starting point. Now you have to restart DCS to make that take effect before seeing any effect of that change. 

As for changes in the Quadview companion app? None. I don't use it. But I guess that would be the same as setting everything to default in that app. (Not sure though cause I don't use it).

So defaults gives me Focus area=1.0 multiplier (equals 100%), out of focus area multiplier is 0.5  (equals 50% in the app) (or I think I actually changed that to 0.4 -40% then--you get the idea). But nothing else is changed. So my in focus area is rendered at 3800x4497 resolution and the out of focus area at 40 (or to) % of that. Also Quadview gives 70% sharpening as default, so I don't change that or use that function in the OpenXR toolkit either.

If I was to use 200% for the in focus area then that would make the in focus render at 7600x8994. I don't need that. It just slows the system way too much down even though the in focus area isn't that big part of the picture . And even if lower the out of focus area a lot, I think the difference between in focus and than transition to out focus are would be to apparant. Also-  3800x4497 in the in focus area is pretty clear! 

I have i9 13900K and RTX 4090. 

I run Pimax at maximum and in OpenXR I override the resolution to 3500 x 4100. 

10 hours ago, EazyE said:

FPS gain with QVFR drops exponentially when scenery detail goes up. @mbucchia says it's a CPU issue due to how DCS renders. I have a 4090/5800x3d build, and I choose to run without QVFR because any mission with details runs worse on QVFR.

• Thanks 2

The CPU performance issues can only be solved by ED in their game engine, for example through the use of quad instanced rendering (submit geometry for all 4 views at once). This isn't an easy undertaking, so I doubt it will happen any time soon, or ever.

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Yea, my frame rate goes down when I'm on a busy aircraft carrier.  Also though, I'm not aiming for 80-100fps, I want super good looking 40+, with ASW at 72hz make it all nice and smooth.  I think it works great!  Now I spend all my time flying the A-10, which means I spend 80% of my flight time looking closely at the TGP, yet playing with OTT set with ASW=Auto seems to get me to a point where now, I have no interest in fiddling around anymore, I just wanna fly!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Guyamn said:

Yea, my frame rate goes down when I'm on a busy aircraft carrier.  Also though, I'm not aiming for 80-100fps, I want super good looking 40+, with ASW at 72hz make it all nice and smooth.  I think it works great!  Now I spend all my time flying the A-10, which means I spend 80% of my flight time looking closely at the TGP, yet playing with OTT set with ASW=Auto seems to get me to a point where now, I have no interest in fiddling around anymore, I just wanna fly!

Nice! What headset Are you using?

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

I'm trying to get my quest pro going with DVR not sure if I have missed something or what. This is what I have done so far. Open xr tool kit set to safe mode entered game and reset to default. Back to desktop and installed quad views. On the headset eye tracking is enabled and calibrated and works in the test. Using DCS openbeta  mt exe. Dcs stand alone  Splash screen shows in the headset and desk top. The headset spash screen will go to a generic grey back ground with loading when that happens the desktop will have this image. This is as far as i get. Also this is using link cable. Picture and log attached

J

dvr pro.jpg

Quad-Views-Foveated.log2.52 kB · 0 downloads

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

1 hour ago, Tomcat388th said:

I'm trying to get my quest pro going with DVR not sure if I have missed something or what. This is what I have done so far. Open xr tool kit set to safe mode entered game and reset to default. Back to desktop and installed quad views. On the headset eye tracking is enabled and calibrated and works in the test. Using DCS openbeta  mt exe. Dcs stand alone  Splash screen shows in the headset and desk top. The headset spash screen will go to a generic grey back ground with loading when that happens the desktop will have this image. This is as far as i get. Also this is using link cable. Picture and log attached

J

Quad-Views-Foveated.log2.52 kB · 0 downloads

From the log:

2023-09-29 09:56:46 -0500: xrCreateSession: XrResult failure [XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE]
    Origin: OpenXrApi::xrCreateEyeTrackerFB(session, &createInfo, &m_eyeTrackerFB)
    Source: D:\a\Quad-Views-Foveated\Quad-Views-Foveated\openxr-api-layer\layer.cpp:1976
2023-09-29 09:56:46 -0500: xrCreateSession failed with XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE

Which is listed in the Troubleshooting guide:

Troubleshooting · mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated Wiki (github.com)

null For short you did not follow all the instructions needed to enable Developer Mode on the Quest, probably missed the phone part. To your defense, Oculus made this absolutely ridiculously complicated for no good reason. Almost like they don't want you to use the feature...

image.png

Edited by mbucchia

Mbuccia  Thank you  sir I bought this quest pro used without controllers thinking that I had read that the quest 2 controllers would work. I'm waiting on a pro controller. As of right now it still has another profile and I need to do a factory reset so I can pair it to my phone.  Which I'm nervous to do I did the reset on my quest 2 last week and it bricked it. Headset fires up fine and does the start up to the pair code but phone app will not pair and no selection to manually enter it.  Any way I'll use the pro as is until  the stuff comes.  I do like the pancake lenses clear and sharp 

J

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

2 hours ago, Tomcat388th said:

Mbuccia  Thank you  sir I bought this quest pro used without controllers thinking that I had read that the quest 2 controllers would work. I'm waiting on a pro controller. As of right now it still has another profile and I need to do a factory reset so I can pair it to my phone.  Which I'm nervous to do I did the reset on my quest 2 last week and it bricked it. Headset fires up fine and does the start up to the pair code but phone app will not pair and no selection to manually enter it.  Any way I'll use the pro as is until  the stuff comes.  I do like the pancake lenses clear and sharp 

J

You are going to so love eye tracked DFR with your Quest Pro (based on what I have read so far). Be sure and report back your experience with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got everything setup and working this afternoon eye tracking is the bomb I pushed density up to 1.6 in the oculus debug tool just messing around and then got on the 4ya syria server. On the ground 45-50 fps smooth and about 500ft off the ground 72 and never fluctuated. 

J

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 2:49 PM, Tomcat388th said:

Got everything setup and working this afternoon eye tracking is the bomb I pushed density up to 1.6 in the oculus debug tool just messing around and then got on the 4ya syria server. On the ground 45-50 fps smooth and about 500ft off the ground 72 and never fluctuated. 

J

I'd increase the density for the center in the foveated settings file instead. No point wasting resources supersampling the foveated part. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Regarding the DCS 2.9 update, if you are experience an issue with Quad-Views-Foveated where the application might crash/hang or the eye tracking is not available, please update to version 1.1.2 1.1.3 that was just released.

The error in the log file looks like this:

XrResult failure [XR_ERROR_ACTIONSET_NOT_ATTACHED]

EDIT: It appears that the issue persists for certain users even with 1.1.2. It will take longer to fix all the scenarios.

KNOWN TO WORK:

- Varjo-Foveated (obviously Varjo only)

- Quad-Views-Foveated + Oculus Link (must uninstall OpenXR-Eye-Trackers)

- Quad-Views-Foveated + VirtualDesktopXR

KNOWN TO NOT WORK - SEE WORKAROUND BELOW

- Quad-Views-Foveated + Varjo

- Quad-Views-Foveated + OpenXR-Eye-Trackers (eg: SteamVR or Virtual Desktop)

- Quad-Views-Foveated + PimaxXR

WORKAROUND 

> if you find that eye tracking has stopped working, go in to the in game settings, in the VR tab check the box to enable hand controllers, you dont have to ever use them, just have them enabled

EDIT2: Version 1.1.3 released with further fixes.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I've noticed with 2.9 and DLSS enabled you can see the eye-tracking box moving while flying the AV-8B. Kinda hard to explain, you can see the shade difference as the box moves around. 

I believe that the AV-8B has a different glass shader used than most jets. The old VR shader performance mod modified this shader. 

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

31 minutes ago, DayGlow said:

I've noticed with 2.9 and DLSS enabled you can see the eye-tracking box moving while flying the AV-8B. Kinda hard to explain, you can see the shade difference as the box moves around. 

I believe that the AV-8B has a different glass shader used than most jets. The old VR shader performance mod modified this shader. 

These are game bugs unfortunately. You'll have to direct your reports to ED. There were other lighting bugs before 2.9 as well. Idk if the one you are observing is really new.

Yeah, haven't flown the AV-8 in awhile. Thought I'd check out how dlss works with the ehsd as it was always a very aliased display. 

Thanks for the amazing app by the way

8 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Regarding the DCS 2.9 update, if you are experience an issue with Quad-Views-Foveated where the application might crash/hang or the eye tracking is not available, please update to version 1.1.2 that was just released.

Just released a new build 1.1.3 that fixes the remaining issues with DCS 2.9.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My very quick first impression with 2.9 is that DLAA (TAA too, but at the cost of too much blurring) noticeably reduces shimmering (I usually use MSAA x4 as I can't bear jaggies and shimmers), and that it seems to make any DFR peripheral area shimmering much less noticeable than before.  Placebo or does anyone else feel the same?  Might it be feasible to decrease the size of the focus area further?  I will test when I have more time, but wondering if anyone else has already played around with this?

Edited by Hippo
I was mistaken, after testing I can see no difference.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

12 minutes ago, Hippo said:

My very quick first impression with 2.9 is that DLAA (TAA too, but at the cost of too much blurring) noticeably reduces shimmering (I usually use MSAA x4 as I can't bear jaggies and shimmers), and that it seems to make any DFR peripheral area shimmering much less noticeable than before.  Placebo or does anyone else feel the same?  Might it be feasible to decrease the size of the focus area further?  I will test when I have more time, but wondering if anyone else has already played around with this?

Basically came to the same conclusion. I just did a short test though, need to look more into it.

I have an odd issue with DFR, I have installed all fixes but it seems that DFR will work for a short period and just stop. The error I am getting is

2023-10-20 07:45:58 -0400: xrBeginFrame failed with XR_ERROR_CALL_ORDER_INVALID
2023-10-20 07:45:58 -0400: xrGetActionStatePose failed with XR_ERROR_ACTIONSET_NOT_ATTACHED
2023-10-20 07:45:59 -0400: xrGetActionStatePose failed with XR_ERROR_ACTIONSET_NOT_ATTACHED
2023-10-20 07:45:59 -0400: xrGetActionStatePose failed with XR_ERROR_ACTIONSET_NOT_ATTACHED

Not even sure if this is related.

And just repeats that last line until it times out.