Dynamic Foveated Rendering - Everything in one page

mbucchia

I would like to share my optimization journey for my 8KX.  Although not able to use DFR, FFR works quite well with this HMD.  I have been using OXRTK FFR and was getting about 1.5ms shredded from my average GPU frametime consistently.  First time I tried QVFR, I did not get such a great result with default settings and never thought about playing with settings.  I revisited using QVFR a couple of days ago and got incredible results of over 2.5ms improvement with an even better image quality.  I have tweeked settings as follow:

For the HMD

smoothen_focus_view_edges=0.2
sharpen_focus_view=0.8

For DCS

turbo_mode=0
peripheral_multiplier=0.4
focus_multiplier=1.4
horizontal_focus_section=0.35
vertical_focus_section=0.45

Horizontal focus may seem small but with the 8KX wide FOV (normal at 140 deg.), I barely notice the blur on the sides and get tremendous performance uplift.

Image has never been so clear and crisp and I believe that the 8KX is still not at the limit of what it can do. I use DLSS balanced and the result is amazing.  Still some issues with MFDs but overall excellent.  Thanks @mbucchia!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

So with 2.9 the problem with the box in NVG disapared. Now with the latest update it's back. I'm using Varjo Areos with foveated rendering. Does anyone else have this problem.

Problem: In NVG the foveated area has a visible (black) box around that moves with the view. It's also barely visible at night without the nvg as it darkens the visible lights on the gorund when looking around.

vor einer Stunde schrieb kega76:

So with 2.9 the problem with the box in NVG disapared. Now with the latest update it's back. I'm using Varjo Areos with foveated rendering. Does anyone else have this problem.

Problem: In NVG the foveated area has a visible (black) box around that moves with the view. It's also barely visible at night without the nvg as it darkens the visible lights on the gorund when looking around.

Yes, it was perfect before, now NVG are unusable with foveated rendering 😞

Also the NVG view is changed back from the circle (which is correct) to an overall NVG view over the whole field of view

Edited by TimSell75
  • Like 1

🖥️ i5-13600K, 64GB DDR4 3200, RTX4090 24GB, M2 PCIe 1TB   🥽 Pimax Crystal   🕹️ Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster TPR Rudders

Everything has been working great for me except for a small annoyance. I always have a thin black line to the right and bottom of my vision where the focus view blends with the background view, and only on the right/bottom sides. I have bloom and lens effects disabled. The line is visible on both eyes. I'm the Quest Pro.

The only thing I've changed from default is the focus area, made it a bit smaller as it doesn't bother me... except the black line is now closer to the center 

horizontal_focus_section=0.42
vertical_focus_section=0.40

Any ideas?

Edit: I noticed I don't get this effect on the KA-50, but I do on the F-16 :confused:

Edited by halufpv

I've been having issues with enabling Quad View with OpenXR MC as if I'm in any Plane attitude other than wings level, I get horrendously bad resolution until I go wings level again. I've uninstalled/reinstalled in different orders and retested with differing levels of success and in one instance, could not enable MC unless Quad view was disabled.

If I disable Quad View, no resolution issues when motion rig moves but sacrificed the smoothness. If disable MC, the result is the same when Quad view re-enabled. Seems as though the two are not playing well together. Need some new ideas and have already reached out to mbucchia but think he's swamped with work/life.

Using runtime 0.4.4 and latest OpenXR MC. 

Rig details:

YawVR

PIMAX Crystal

7900X3D

64GB DDR5 @6400Mhz

NVME 1TB 990 Pro

Win11 Patched/Updated

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just installed the Quad Views Foveated Rendering app on my Quest 3 and its really helped with performance and is generally not noticeable so really quite pleased except for one thing.

When I glance down, the line between the high res and low res is quite noticeable because of the cockpit screens, dials buttons etc. Is there a way to smooth this out a bit without impacting the benefits too much?

Its really only glancing down in the cockpit area that this is a noticeable issue.

Thanks for any tips!

12 minutes ago, Swooperduper said:

I am experiencing constant CTDs while in multiplayer with my Varjo AERO. I notice it mostly when I have a lot of contacts on the Air-to-Air radar in the F-15E. But the issue has progressed pretty much to any module even just sitting on the ramp after about 5 to 10 minutes I just CTD. I am at a loss. I have installed the foveated mod via the instructions here: https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated/wiki  I have used Process Lasso to force DCS.exe to the P-cores on my i9-14900KF. I've set the affinity higher for all the Varjo apps, I've set all other processes to lower affinities. vrmonitor.exe is set just below the Varjo apps. I'm running Ultra Low latency mode and maximum performance power profile in the nvidia settings application. I only run in openXR I do not use steam vr. I've run sfc /scannow for Win11 dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth for Win11. I've run the dcsupdater.exe -repair in the command line. I've disabled the in-game VOIP. I need some help figuring out why I'm constantly CTD. Most of my dcs.log files seem to be corrupted... I'll post the ones I was able to succesfully extract.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900KF   3.20 GHz
Installed RAM    96.0 GB (95.8 GB usable) DDR5-6400 (Corsair)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition    Windows 11 Pro
Version    23H2
OS build    22631.2792
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22681.1000.0
Z790 AORUS MASTER X 1.0 BIOS version F5D
GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC 24G
Varjo AERO VR headset
Running Varjo Base 3.10.3.25

dcs.log-20231209-013227.zip 317.67 kB · 0 downloads dcs.log-20231205-040628.zip 377.31 kB · 0 downloads dcs.log 242.14 kB · 0 downloads DDCS-Modern-Syria_0-20231208-195650.zip 41.38 MB · 0 downloads

You should create your own thread for this...under bugs... It will get more attention.

I'd also recommend adding a track file

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Not sure this is related to OpenXR or not -- 

I have an issue in VR where it seems l like the area of the image that's being shown on my pc monitor, has ever-so-slight opaqueness to it.   this allows me to see the border between the image on the pc monitor and the rest of the image being rendered in my headset.

is there a way to modify this so its not as visible?

thanks!

On 12/11/2023 at 9:57 PM, Guyamn said:

this allows me to see the border between the image on the pc monitor and the rest of the image being rendered in my headset.

If you mean that you see a border between the inner high resolution portion of the image, and the outer low resolution portion of the image, then yes this is a reported issue.  It is more apparent in some modules such as the F-16 (for me) and even sometimes more visible on the left side than the right side.  Unfortunately, this is a problem related to DCS, not OXRTK or QVFR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

5 hours ago, WipeUout said:

If you mean that you see a border between the inner high resolution portion of the image, and the outer low resolution portion of the image, then yes this is a reported issue.  It is more apparent in some modules such as the F-16 (for me) and even sometimes more visible on the left side than the right side.  Unfortunately, this is a problem related to DCS, not OXRTK or QVFR.

gotcha!  that makes sense.  I don't find it disruptive, just something I'd fix if I could.  ty

Hey mbucchia, thank you for all the hard work for our community 💪👍

I tried your quad views yesterday with my quest 3 on rtx 4090 and amd 7800x3d. It gave me the smoothest vr experience ever in DCS. No jitters, no stutters, nothing...as long I could hold 72fps, a dream to fly the apache so fluid, gives me total control and immersion. 

I am not very technical, I don't understand, why quad views uses more GPU power, but is so much smoother then without it? 

In other words, with quad views, I had less headroom, then without it, but the experience was much smoother. 

What is the difference in using quad views or using foveated rendering in the toolkit? 

I know stupid question, where does the smoothness come from? I really thought it's not possible with dcs mt version. 

Is the solution with Virtual Desktop, the same technology, is it as smooth as quad views? 🤔 

Kind regards 

McDan 

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

On 12/13/2023 at 8:37 AM, Guyamn said:

gotcha!  that makes sense.  I don't find it disruptive, just something I'd fix if I could.  ty

This will unhelpful-but I had that problem-and I changed some option (Brightness in Varjo base maybe) and it went away-my memory is shot-I will update if I can remember exactly (this is the focus vs peripheral box that flits around with eye tracking I am referring to).

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

When it comes to Pimax, I would be careful with what they say in their marketing materials. Many people have already wondered what it looks like in reality like it was with 8KX (I tested Pimax too but not Crystal), of course DFR will help, but this material may be marketing exaggeration. DFR could be used by Quest Pro and Varjo Aero as well. Result from 5 to 55 fps looks unbelievably, actually, someone could confirm that they achieved such a result thanks to DFR on any goggles with old GPU.

I think as far as tests go this one is more reliable:

It is also worth adding that DFR was developed by mbuccia, which developed it for many VR models, but now its support has unfortunately ended. Unfortunately, it is not known what will happen to the future of DFR technology in sims.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 12/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, McDaniel said:

Hey mbucchia, thank you for all the hard work for our community

Btw. Mbucchia stopped his support for VR some time ago, so dont expect the answer from him , unfortunately. 😪

• Thanks 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Can someone with a Varjo Aero post their settings.cfg. The ones posted for the Crystal were really helpful (i've been over the advanced config page a few times now)but would like to see the Pimax settings replaced with the Aeros settings as they are different and I'm not able to find those settings on the page.

13 hours ago, YoYo said:

Result from 5 to 55 fps looks unbelievably,

If you take into account the rendering resolution drop to 0.5, this is a reduction of 75% of the pixel count.  I think it looks plausible but the image quality must suffer a lot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WipeUout said:

If you take into account the rendering resolution drop to 0.5, this is a reduction of 75% of the pixel count.  I think it looks plausible but the image quality must suffer a lot.

Yes. I noticed this, also there is in the comments on YT. I don't personally use DFR, but I'll have to check it out eventually. Im afraid of this transition, which is visible even in this Pimax video (from 0:48):

image.png

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

vor 8 Stunden schrieb WipeUout:

You don‘t see a reduced quality, because it‘s reduced where you don‘t look. You can even improve the clarity by supersampling only the eyetracked focus region a bit. Only on videos the reduced resolution of the downsampled aeras is visible.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb HoBGoBLiNzx3:

Can someone with a Varjo Aero post their settings.cfg. The ones posted for the Crystal were really helpful (i've been over the advanced config page a few times now)but would like to see the Pimax settings replaced with the Aeros settings as they are different and I'm not able to find those settings on the page.

For Aero I would recommend Varjo-Foveated (VFR) instead of Quad-Views-Foveated (QVF). Different settings and no OXR Toolkit possible with VFR, though.

Edited by Sile

Sile is correct. You don’t notice any degradation of quality because the resolution is massively lowered in your peripheral vision where you can’t see sharply. The massive drop in resolution means less work for the game and less for the GPU which results in large fps gains. In the focus region, you increase the render resolution to boost clarity. The focus region is quite small and so does not have a huge impact on fps.

I find the conjecture from people who haven’t tried this laughable. If you’ve not tried it, how can anyone give any credence to your “opinion”.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spartan111sqn said:

Why?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif