HARM TOO Mode Emitter Location Accuracy

itsthatguy

As far as I'm aware, right now the the Hornet's HARM TOO mode is like an HTS but with superpowers.

I have no idea how the aircraft would be able to display a box over the emitter that the harm is "looking at" (the one that is boxed on the HARM display).
In order to do that, the HARM would need to be able to give an accurate "look angle", which it should not be able to do. Determining the accurate position of a radar emitter is no trivial task, that's why things like the HTS exist.

Here's another way to look at it. As we know, a TOO launched missile doesn't loft because the missile cannot determine range on it's own. But if it has an accurate "look angle", it (or the host aircraft) WOULD be able to calculate a range.

With the current implementation, I can fudge a impromptu PB launch by finding an emitter in TOO mode, then creating a target point with the HUD and slewing it into the center of the box showing me where the emitter is. Now I have a relatively accurate aiming point for a PB launch.

That should not be possible, not even an HTS in a Viper can give you an accurate position instantaneously, regardless of your approach angle. 

I'm not saying the box in the HUD is completely wrong, but I am saying that the way it's implemented right now must be.

Also, why does the HARM in TOO mode have none of the restrictions that the HARM in HAS mode does for the Viper, like tables and scan time?
The Hornet's HARMs can scan the entire volume for all types of emitters almost instantaneously.

Edited by itsthatguy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, itsthatguy said:

Also, why does the HARM in TOO mode have none of the restrictions that the HARM in HAS mode does for the Viper, like tables and scan time?
The Hornet's HARMs can scan the entire volume for all types of emitters almost instantaneously.

Because it's better, they are not the same. The Hornet has most of the HTS system's internal brains with its HARM CLC. (Navy voted for this over a dedicated HTS, even though there were designs for an HTS sensor built into the pylons) The HARM, ASPJ, and ALR-67 (RWR) build and contribute to trackfiles between each other. If the ASPJ or RWR picks up an emitter, it knows to send that data so the HARM already knows what to look for rather than "scanning." This is one of the reasons SP/ PULLBACK functions from any angle. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

I did just confirm that the TD box (Priority target symbol) is calculated and displayed by the CLC.

I figured as much - the post was more of a comment on the unrealistic accuracy of the box. It's always spot on almost instantaneously after a radar is detected for the first time.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, lee1hy said:

In multiplayer, the accuracy of HARM is very low due to de-sync and DCS native bugs

This subject is not about missile accuracy, but accuracy of indicating radar's position on the HUD in TOO mode.

You can slew TGP to the box and you'll have SAM site on the screen.

The overall functionality is realistic, but it is a little too accurate, how much is "too accurate" I don't know, this is just based off of asking a F-18 pilot about it, obviously not going to push for details. If I was ED I'd just add in some amount of random inaccuracy and call it a day.

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

I have been arizona and still have seen an emitter box in my HUD.  I couldn't shoot at it since I was arizona, but something was still detecting and displaying the threat, so I'm assuming the notion that the detection gear being in the pylon holds true, or if not, it just is possible somehow to show it in the HUD even if you're arizona.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot