Thoughts about the Spitfire in DCS

jackd

Now i am lazy probably, sorry. After a few tests with the Spitfire as player with a new mission i am building i just get fed up with all this startup tinkering at each new test.

I set the player spit plane on Takeoff From Runway, and also Takeoff from Parking HOT,: it starts with the engine running OK, but then switches off.

Then you have to do all the startup procedures again. Windows-Home gives you the autostart, but that also eats up my patience quickly, even when you set TimeScale to 8x.

Now is there a fix for this? Or some cleverly made mod ?

BTW the nose down trim wheel works, but nothing happens; a bug?

---------------------------------

What i really also miss is an auto pilot function, so that a spitfire set as player follows it's waypoints automatically for mission checking,

just to give me the time  opportunity watching other mission objects.

The engine shouldn't (and doesn't) cut out in hot-started missions all by itself, even with nothing but mouse and keyboard plugged in. Must be some controller issue on your side, do you have something in your HOTAS bound to "mixture lever cut-off" command by mistake?

Trims being animated but inop is a sign of game flight mode being used, applies to all warbirds in DCS. Unlikely to be fixed when devs said numerous times they plan to remove the game flight mode form the sim altogether. 

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

thanks, checked it out, nope. just ran a test set as flyover takeoff start, then it crashes in to the ground. When i remove the player function it flies OK.

just noticed a j88a4 set to takeoff hot on runway it stays put with engines running. flyover works OK though for that junkers.

I did a full repair yesterday, guess the game files are OK, isn't there some bat installer file for the spitfire?

PS i noticed gameflight mode was on again ... again the culprit ... fixed!

Edited by jackd

Why would you buy an addon plane for a simulation title that prides itself on being as realistic and in-depth as possible, and then repeatedly, over a period of months, complain that the game isn't arcade-y enough for you?

I suspect we're all being gently trolled here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

1 hour ago, jackd said:

thanks, checked it out, nope. just ran a test set as flyover takeoff start, then it crashes in to the ground. When i remove the player function it flies OK.

just noticed a j88a4 set to takeoff hot on runway it stays put with engines running. flyover works OK though for that junkers.

I did a full repair yesterday, guess the game files are OK, isn't there some bat installer file for the spitfire?

PS i noticed gameflight mode was on again ... again the culprit ... fixed!

Uh... So is it flyover or takeoff? Can't be both at the same time. Please post a replay track of that Spitfire test you're attempting, so we can take a look. Otherwise it's getting a bit difficult to figure out what you mean.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

flyover .... at the spot where the original runway takeoff start was, and it works now. (game flight mode off).

5 hours ago, Skewgear said:

Why would you buy an addon plane for a simulation title that prides itself on being as realistic and in-depth as possible, and then repeatedly, over a period of months, complain that the game isn't arcade-y enough for you?

I suspect we're all being gently trolled here.

My problem is that i am not that much interested in one plane specificly, and the time to learn end remember all those particular however well made details, sorry.

I like them all at times, and am even more interested in mission making etc.

Edited by jackd

29 minutes ago, jackd said:

flyover .... at the spot where the original runway takeoff start was, and it works now. (game flight mode off).

My problem is that i am not that much interested in one plane specificly, and the time to learn end remember all those particular however well made details, sorry.

I like them all at times, and am even more interested in mission making etc.

I fly like 15 different moduals. And don't feel the need to have then more arcade. If it's a modual I haven't flown in a while I find a YouTube video and do a 10 minute refresher.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb jackd:

Now i am lazy probably, sorry. After a few tests with the Spitfire as player with a new mission i am building i just get fed up with all this startup tinkering at each new test.

I set the player spit plane on Takeoff From Runway, and also Takeoff from Parking HOT,: it starts with the engine running OK, but then switches off.

Then you have to do all the startup procedures again. Windows-Home gives you the autostart, but that also eats up my patience quickly, even when you set TimeScale to 8x.

What i really also miss is an auto pilot function, so that a spitfire set as player follows it's waypoints automatically for mission checking,

you can set your own auto start programs = faster, also I think there is even the possibility to set the necessary switches for the startup so that they are flipped immediately when joining the aircraft

Edited by Hobel

Do you mean autostart in missions? Joining the aircraft? I am not that familiar with this term in DCS yet .. 🤫

For now i use for mission testing work around a player temporarily not set to player, or runway take off or flyover point.

On 9/29/2023 at 7:27 PM, jackd said:

🥱😴zzzZZZZ

just to add my tuppence worth….. i have a button box with all the appropriate switches bound to the spit…. if I land and switch off the engine with my switches.   Then restart hot on the runway the engine cuts because it reads the switch positions as off….  i need to move ALL my switches into a ‘running’ condition before reset then engine will tick over nicely on restart….

You must have something in the off position…. there is also a checkbox on the controls that will ignore the status of any switch/hotas etc on startup that might help you out

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

On 10/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, Droning_On said:

just to add my tuppence worth….. i have a button box with all the appropriate switches bound to the spit…. if I land and switch off the engine with my switches.   Then restart hot on the runway the engine cuts because it reads the switch positions as off….  i need to move ALL my switches into a ‘running’ condition before reset then engine will tick over nicely on restart….

You must have something in the off position…. there is also a checkbox on the controls that will ignore the status of any switch/hotas etc on startup that might help you out

If you don't want to have this you can switch off controller sync in option, that way game when reload or reslot will not sync switches and axis with your controllers unless you move axis or press switch. That way if you start hot engine will not shut off in case when at your controllers engine was shut off, same with throttle which you advance fully after engine shut off, at hot restart throttle in game will be retarded despite the controller throttle is full on.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

If you don't want to have this you can switch off controller sync in option, that way game when reload or reslot will not sync switches and axis with your controllers unless you move axis or press switch. That way if you start hot engine will not shut off in case when at your controllers engine was shut off, same with throttle which you advance fully after engine shut off, at hot restart throttle in game will be retarded despite the controller throttle is full on.

thanks actualy like it this way

• Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:00 AM, Gunfreak said:

I fly like 15 different moduals. And don't feel the need to have then more arcade. If it's a modual I haven't flown in a while I find a YouTube video and do a 10 minute refresher.

pfft. only 15?

• Like 3

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

19 hours ago, grafspee said:

Guess i'm stupid again, but where can i find this controller sync; been looking through all the option pages ...

14 minutes ago, jackd said:

Guess i'm stupid again, but where can i find this controller sync; been looking through all the option pages ...

This option can only be accessed from main menu, can't remember which tab is it, but it should be in  third tab after system.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jy8oKfUBk9NJvgrSA

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

@jackd Yes this is the setting which i had in mind, i just couldn't recall exact setting name, sorry about that confusion.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1