Vario Aero Owners - ARE YOU HAPPY?

Motomouse

I am very happy. The Aero is exceeding my expectations by far, coming from the Reverb. The image quality and performance are superb on my 5600 & 3080.

The Reverb -> Aero upgrade is in the same league like the Matrox -> Voodoo 3d upgrade back in the days 🙂

All in all, it is the jaw dropping experience I hoped for.

I would REALLY like to hear the REAL opinions of others who have purchased this headset.

Have you got it up and running? How does it perform for you? Does the reality match expectation?

Edited by Motomouse
  • Like 1

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

• Motomouse changed the title to Vario Aero Owners - ARE YOU HAPPY?

I have been using my Aero for many many months now. I love it just as much as the day I got it. I would not take anything for it and have no need to replace it anytime soon. It is everything I need plus some! And I use it mostly daily for several hours a day.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I bought mine months ago coming from the Reverb, And I got a lot of people telling me to wait or you are stupid for buying it!    I even got some people on YouTube getting violent at me for buying it?          Other than that, I am really happy with the Aero, It was totally worth it!   Software, quality, resolution is top notch.     If I had just one complaint and that is I wish it had a bigger FOV.

• Like 3

I've had my Aero since May this year and been totally happy with my investment. I also came from a G2 which I was happy with too both good headsets but the Varjo Aero is a huge step up/forward. I have zero problems with anything as far as Varjo software the headsets performance, eye tracking and the outstanding clarity of the Aero. The FOV thingy I don't ponder on at all because the headset looks perfectly nature as like putting a helmet on and looks realistic enough for me to enjoy and just have fun. I'm using the Aero with OXR- DFR and running the res at 39PPD and I don't see VR getting any better then this combination until we get better support from E D.  A lot are soooo hooked on running at a stable 90 fps all the time at different altitudes and scenery/maps, well that's not gonna happen we are always gonna see fluctuation in fps with what we got in DCS at the moment. The solid fps that can be able to achieve a steady fps is locking the vsycn in Varjo Base to 45 fps which works perfect especially in congested multiplayer servers which I do often but mainly just disable it and let the numbers roll. I see a lot of 90 fps up in higher altitudes but mostly anywhere from 55-75 fps. Varjo and E D can't make everyone happy but they make me very happy. My VR experience and performance right now is absolutely awesome, no gripes here and in the cockpit.

• Like 2

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I've seen plenty fo people saying they liked the Pico 4 better than their Reverb G2 (not all, mind) but I was wondering how the graphics on the Pico 4 stack up against the Aero. Anyone done that?

My Pico 4 is outstanding in DCS World and other sims, but if the Aero is better I would have to seriously consider it, at the currently reduced price.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

22 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

I've seen plenty fo people saying they liked the Pico 4 better than their Reverb G2 (not all, mind) but I was wondering how the graphics on the Pico 4 stack up against the Aero. Anyone done that?

My Pico 4 is outstanding in DCS World and other sims, but if the Aero is better I would have to seriously consider it, at the currently reduced price.

I have the Pico4 and the Crystal. I have no problems still enjoying my Pico 4. Not the same of course, but as you know, Pico4 set up properly in Virtual Desktop looks rather good. 🙂

I was considering the Aero too, but went for the Crystal because of the Field of View and local dimming. But the reduced price on Aero will tempt many. 🙂 

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

Really happy with my Aero (previous G2 and 8KX user). The DFR-modding recently was like a brand new headset from an already good experience. When I needed the Varjo support they were super helpful and quick . 

• Like 1

System specs: 13900K, Nvidia 4090RTX, 64 GB RAM, 2TB SSD.  Rig: Next Level Racing Boing Military. VR: Varjo Aero (+Pimax (8KX)
Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Crosswind,
Winwing Orion 2 Hotas F16 (Throttle and stick) , Winwing Orion 2 F15EX throttle, Winwing F18 Phoenix MIP (VR)
Virpil Control Panel #2, Virpil Sharka 50 Control Panel, Total Controls Multi Function Button Box, Streamdeck
Software:  XRnecksafer, OpenKneeboard, SimShaker

I'm happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t coming from the G2. Small criticisms around MR being nowhere near as good as that in WMR and the G2, so I’ve just adapted to live without it. Either lock at 45 and VSYNC on or let it roll at 90 with some drops. And the smaller vertical FOV (in comparison to the G2). DFR has made the former far more achievable in more scenarios....

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

4 hours ago, Burt said:

The FOV thingy I don't ponder on at all because the headset looks perfectly nature as like putting a helmet on and looks realistic enough for me to enjoy and just have fun.

I agree 100% and said that early on. I came from the Pimax 8kx and the wide FOV but the benefits of the Aero outweigh the smallest reduction in FOV; IMHO. I am 100% pleased with the Aero

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

4 minutes ago, Rodeo said:

I agree 100% and said that early on. I came from the Pimax 8kx and the wide FOV but the benefits of the Aero outweigh the smallest reduction in FOV; IMHO. I am 100% pleased with the Aero

Horizontal FOV is not bad at all, Index level really. It is the vertical FOV that is really small. Once I got used to it though I don't even think about it.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not tried for flight sim, but I'm getting rid of the one I *just* got for my sim racing rig:

- my face gets much warmer than with a crystal/g2/quest. Perhaps not an issue for flight sims, but it is for that. Much more active.
- Varjo is the *only* headset I've ever tried that says 'too many monitors' and requires me to physically unplug some and reboot
- Possibly related: it's really stuttery if I have my Neo G9 Ultrawide connected as the only monitor. It's perfectly happy if I unplug that and use a little 10" monitor that usually shows a racing dashboard

The actual visual quality is great, lenses are much better than the crystal, and VFOV felt just a little smaller than the crystal (perhaps 'just a little' for me because VFOV matters less for racing than flight sims) - but the heat and monitor-compatibility stuff just makes using it too annoying.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

1 hour ago, actually_fred said:

Not tried for flight sim, but I'm getting rid of the one I *just* got for my sim racing rig:

- my face gets much warmer than with a crystal/g2/quest. Perhaps not an issue for flight sims, but it is for that. Much more active.
- Varjo is the *only* headset I've ever tried that says 'too many monitors' and requires me to physically unplug some and reboot
- Possibly related: it's really stuttery if I have my Neo G9 Ultrawide connected as the only monitor. It's perfectly happy if I unplug that and use a little 10" monitor that usually shows a racing dashboard

The actual visual quality is great, lenses are much better than the crystal, and VFOV felt just a little smaller than the crystal (perhaps 'just a little' for me because VFOV matters less for racing than flight sims) - but the heat and monitor-compatibility stuff just makes using it too annoying.

Strange - I use my Aero often for several hours a day and never feel like there is any heat issue. Fan seems to keep my face nice and cool, or at least good enough it does not bother me. You might want to open a support ticket unless of course you are just totally giving up on it.

Monitor issue is just how Aero runs, can not have too many displays. I can run two monitors and headset, no more.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Just pulled the trigger and an Aero now that the price dropped. Tried to order from Knoxlabs ... They wanted $230 shipping to Virginia? I ordered direct from Varjo ... Free shipping. I have a G2 now ... It's the only one I ever tried, so looking forward to the Aero.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, freehand said:

Why does it need a fan ?

To circulate air to help keep the headset temp cooler and in addition provides small amount of air on face ( barely feel) which helps keep cooler in the headset.

Pretty neat feature actually. Also mine at least has never fogged up on me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

11 hours ago, Burt said:

I've had my Aero since May this year and been totally happy with my investment. I also came from a G2 which I was happy with too both good headsets but the Varjo Aero is a huge step up/forward. I have zero problems with anything as far as Varjo software the headsets performance, eye tracking and the outstanding clarity of the Aero. The FOV thingy I don't ponder on at all because the headset looks perfectly nature as like putting a helmet on and looks realistic enough for me to enjoy and just have fun. I'm using the Aero with OXR- DFR and running the res at 39PPD and I don't see VR getting any better then this combination until we get better support from E D.  A lot are soooo hooked on running at a stable 90 fps all the time at different altitudes and scenery/maps, well that's not gonna happen we are always gonna see fluctuation in fps with what we got in DCS at the moment. The solid fps that can be able to achieve a steady fps is locking the vsycn in Varjo Base to 45 fps which works perfect especially in congested multiplayer servers which I do often but mainly just disable it and let the numbers roll. I see a lot of 90 fps up in higher altitudes but mostly anywhere from 55-75 fps. Varjo and E D can't make everyone happy but they make me very happy. My VR experience and performance right now is absolutely awesome, no gripes here and in the cockpit.

I can't lock vsync in base to 45 without a micro slideshow when looking to the sides.  Do you have this issue?

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

19 minutes ago, Hammer3246 said:

I can't lock vsync in base to 45 without a micro slideshow when looking to the sides.  Do you have this issue?

Looks horrible! I have Vsync off

In MP I have solid 90fps , in SP stutters now and then (4090 with 7800 AMD)

I was worried about the fan before I bought my headset. But now I really appreciate it. 

I use the Aero for several hours at a time. It feels quite comfortable and does not get hot. (I adjust the wearing straps with about 1 to 2 mm breathing space on a partial part of the lower side of the headset. That way it feels better for me and I can easily put on and take off the Aero without any adjustments.)

On the one side I would prefer a smaller and lighter headset at a distant point in the future, but I have to use prescription googles. A smaller headset would have to include the option for strong prescription lenses. There are no off the shelf add on lenses available for my eyes. I would not start wearing contact lenses again, although I used them for decades successfully. I will just stay with big enough headsets in the future.  

Edited by Motomouse
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

I do not have this slideshow issue. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

It is fluid in the front and on the side at 45 FPS and motion smoothing while you are keeping your head still or moving it calmly. But if you move your head too fast you have artifacts and slideshow until the algorithm catches up again.

11 hours ago, Burt said:

I do not have this slideshow issue. 

Neither do I - running same vsync locked to 45. No motion smoothing. Very smooth.

• Like 1

Don B

I'm happy with my Aero. I went from G2 to Pico4 then to Aero. Though honestly the Pico has some features that I really miss, such as passthrough and much larger lenses / vertical FOV. 

But the clarity in the Aero is just unreal. Genuinely about as clear as a 27" 1440p monitor. 

• Like 2

5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600 | RTX 4090 + Varjo Aero VR | F-16, F-15E, F-18