New spotting is great / New spotting is overcooked feedback thread

Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

3 hours ago, Biggus said:

Because that's not what everybody sees.  It varies with software settings, hardware and resolution.  ED's task is to now find a way to provide spotting parity across all of those variables.

This, exactly this.  Flew a mission with my squadron tonight and it was great.  In 2-D on MY setup it works great (and no, it's nothing like having labels on).  It was nice to be able to see my wingman when we went to combat spread.  I'm sure ED will keep working on this, but for everyone saying lets go back, I say please no because I couldn't see things before.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, KoN said:

In VR yes the dots are big and ugly , but for flat screen with 2k and 4k resolution it works for them . I think there is a bug in VR. 

I'm sure things will get better. 

I use flat screen, and can confirm it does NOT work for me at all. Never needed it running 1440p on 27 inch screen, and I play competitive cold war multiplayer where spotting with just your eyes is essential. if your run DLSS then it's fine, the blurriness obfuscates how terrible looking it is, but god forbid you use MSAA.

5 hours ago, KoN said:

In VR yes the dots are big and ugly , but for flat screen with 2k and 4k resolution it works for them . I think there is a bug in VR. 

I'm sure things will get better. 

Even outside of VR, you shouldn't be seeing black dots.  I just don't want any of that artificial spotting at all.  I mean even if you have perfect eyes you're not going to be seeing a fighter at 10nm.  Minimum size you can differentiate at that distance with perfect idealized 20/20 and absolute black-white contrast is a 10 foot object, never mind looking at a greyish jet against a greyish sky.  It's especially bad in VR yeah, but just in general it's bad.

Ultimately though if other people want it that's fair enough, but just give an option to disable it.

Edited by James DeSouza
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Biggus said:

Because that's not what everybody sees.  It varies with software settings, hardware and resolution.  ED's task is to now find a way to provide spotting parity across all of those variables.

Pretty much, yeah.

The problem has always been that DCS spotting has been broken in every conceivable way at once, often in the most unintuitive way possible, and this is a huge step towards fixing that.

Before this, high-resolution players could see planes out to impossible distances — dozens (plural) of nautical miles — but details got lost in the noise at the upper edge of WVR. There, it was the exact opposite: low-resolution players could see planes far larger and thus far easier than those with higher resolutions. Of the two, the latter was a really odd one because, where it probably mattered the most, you benefitted greatly from having worse visual quality and hardware.

Only within a rather narrow band, maybe out to gun range or so, was there any parity and beyond that, it was all broken with different sides arguing that it was “good” based on what objectively unfair advantage their particular hardware setup gave them. Many of them were (and still are) arguing adamantly that their particular advantage must under no circumstances be touched, whereas the “other side's” advantage must be nerfed. So of course, this important step towards nerfing both sides and brining them into parity across the entire range of visual spotting will be heavily criticized and fought against.

Ultimately, this change finally opens up the option for having more realistic spotting (something that DCS has never had before) for everyone, equally. This is inherently and unquestionably good.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 5

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

In VR (G2 / 4080 / MSAAx4 or DLSS) the dots are too blocky for me. They look like quite blurry squares. In terms of stereo vision - they look as if they are much closer to me than they are. They do in fact look like they're closer than other airplanes that are actually closer and are no longer rendered as that blurry square.

When I see them I always think: "Oh, is that a Huey in the distance?" -- but no. As the airplane gets closer, at some point the blocky, blurry square fades out suddenly and leaves a barely visible, pretty small airplane in the distance. That transition doesn't look good at all.

It's a step in the right direction, I guess, but needs more time in the oven. I much preferred the units going down to the size of a pixel.

• Like 1
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

I like the new spotting system. For me, it's a step in the right direction.

What I've seen is the "spotting dots" disappear at some view angles. That should be fixed. I am playing only in VR. My VR resolution is >= 4312*5102 pixels, no AA and no DLSS effect is enabled.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Reverb G2 here and a 4090. Can't stand the new dots. I was able to easily see a long convoy of approaching ground units that were in the middle of a forest (on a road)  from more than 5 miles in an Apache at 50 feet. Looked like a long black line where there should have been a forest. 

I read earlier someone else with a G2 thought it looked great so I think this is something we need a slider for at the very least but my above experience was on an MP server so it was very much an exploit being able to see that. 

• Like 1

I just been playing on 39 ppd on 4ya and loved it.. i have 4090 and i9 everything hi settings..120 fps and the dots are perfect.. when i lower the ppd the dots are geting larger and larger.. so I see why other players on don't like that.. but for hi res 4k players thisnis the awnser to our problems.

This is what I see (albeit zoomed in, so that you see what I mean).

I started a mission at the carrier, pressed F9 and zoomed out until the helicopter view dot appeared, then rolled my mouse wheel back and forth. In the second half I looked at a tanker far away and swayed back and forth to vary the distance.

• Thanks 2

As for the visibility of contacts, this is a very old game that all players of military flight simulators have been playing on forums since ancient times... 🤣

I know, there are statistical data for detection ranges of WWII aircraft. These are generally very different from the current DCS values. 
Typical aircraft detection ranges in nautical miles: fighter - 3.5, bomber - 6.0

You need to understand that visual perception is a very complex thing. Only one example: at a considerable distance we can see very thin, but very long wires (this, by the way, explains why a formation of aircraft is visible well and far away, compared to a single aircraft), and not notice the “spot” sparrows at the same distance...
It would be reasonable if ED did something like 10 km for everyone, and so that there wouldn’t be these fat flies that appear at 2 km in the form of either black dots or white ones against the background of clouds...
But we have a very different planes - from I-16 to B-52... Logic and realism sey that visibility distance must be different - from 6.5 to 32 km...

Screen_231022_231924_1.jpgScreen_231022_232537_1.jpgScreen_231022_232306_1.jpg

Edited by PeevishMonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted a day or two ago about my perception of spotting at 3440x1440, and I've spent some time experimenting with my G2 today.

The dots in the G2 are far too large from 3nm out, and the LOD change at 3nm is far too dramatic.  At 3.1nm, it's a great big blob.  At 2.9, it's a speck that you probably can't see even when you know where you need to be looking.  The original spotting fix mod seemed a good bit 'gentler' (for lack of a better word) at the point where the LOD changed.

I'm still pretty impressed at the devs for a first pass at this.

Options.lua

Edited by Biggus
Wrong options.lua
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 1:11 AM, James DeSouza said:

I am amazed the amount of people saying this is good.  You could get the exact same effect as this by playing with labels on.  Why force this awful thing on to other people?  "Hey you know what would make this game better?  Have everyone's positions constantly broadcast to you by giant floating blocks!"

On an index, 150% resolution in steam VR (the default) and 100% resolution in DCS.

Hell I don't care if it puts me at a disadvantage.  Just give me an option to disable this ridiculous eyesore.

options.lua 8.34 kB · 5 downloads

Its only forced because people cant turn them off . Some people are getting good results and some are not . That`s part of being Open-Beta . 

Trying to turn them off at this given time don`t work in Autoexe.bat .

Im sure this will be fixed , Its not just aircraft that`s effected its weapons too , Fire Rockets and your seen big black dots heading towards its target . 

2.9 has come with Bugs as expected , I think over all its a step in the right direction . Just needs some tweaking .

An on-off switch if you want to go back to how it was .

Having a slider would help but this would have to be greyed out when in servers . 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

These are some test i did on a 43" 4k TV , with MSAA x 2  . With No up-scaling . 

Photo1 - 1080p

Photo2 - 2k .

Photo3 - 4k .

I can see dots at roughly 25-miles faint but i know some thing is there .

NO radar only mark one eye-ball , sat in front of my TV at arms length .

In 4k this sim looks amazing , So sharp and clear . 

As you can see on my -  TV the Dots look very identical , In size and shape . At Different ranges print-screen was taken roughly @ 15 miles down to 8 miles .

ZOOM in to see dots . ?

To me this looks just right on my TV screen . 

Will test in VR later . !!!

1080 @ 11miles .jpg

2k @ 11miles.jpg

4k @ 16 miles.jpg

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

7 hours ago, PeevishMonkey said:

I know, there are statistical data for detection ranges of WWII aircraft. These are generally very different from the current DCS values. 
Typical aircraft detection ranges in nautical miles: fighter - 3.5, bomber - 6.0

Over the years, PC games have convinced generations of players that they’re supposed to easily see targets at 4x this range. Can you imagine the howl if DCS was actually realistic like this? 😆 DCS was probably better when it didn’t have any dots at all. 

• Like 4

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Over the years, PC games have convinced generations of players that they’re supposed to easily see targets at 4x this range. Can you imagine the howl if DCS was actually realistic like this? 😆 DCS was probably better when it didn’t have any dots at all. 

Sitting at home in comfort in front of a monitor or TV or VR headset is completely different that actual real life fighter combat . How did Top scoring aces get Top scores . 

We are trying to get a happy medium here across all forms of setups  . Mr sharp . 😇

Testing VR . Pico 3 link DP cable . Same setting MSAA x 2 none MT .

SteamVR @ 2748 x 2880. per eye . 

First photos show 10 miles this is when i can actually see some thing. 

Screen_231023_150129.jpg

Screen_231023_150140.jpg

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

The spotting update would have been a huge success if it worked in VR correctly. It sounds like the update made the spotting the same for monitors as it was in VR previously. I chased down the blimps on the Normandy 4YA server from half the map away using a G2 in 2.8. Now though instead of a single spec off in the distance, things look like a billboard at a certain range. I think when that gets fixed, most people will be very happy with the spotting. 

As for the Typical aircraft detection ranges in nautical miles: fighter - 3.5, bomber - 6.0

We have had that before, and it pissed everyone off as you were on someone's 6 and they disappeared in front of you. It was just as silly and unrealistic.

Edited by Nascar
  • Like 2

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

25 minutes ago, KoN said:

We are trying to get a happy medium here across all forms of setups

I get that. I’m actually sorta ok with it now, using a monitor. I think it’s a little excessive but not horrible, the targets are a bit too easy to see in the 10-14 mile range whereas in reality they’d be very tough to pick out. 
But If this can be solved for VR too then there’s hope. 
To be honest the 2.8 spotting on a 4K screen seemed pretty realistic to me, but of course in 1080p is was farcical. 

The most realistic solution really might be to get rid of pixel sized dots altogether but people would howl. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

VR test Pico 3 link with display cable . . . 

First set of photos @ 6.23 miles . Same set up . . 

Second set of photos @ 1.88 miles  .

The dots disappear and go into aircraft shape . As you can see its nearly impossible to see the dots or air-frame when they make their LOD  transformation . 

Screen_231023_150346.jpg

Screen_231023_150358.jpg

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

A couple of examples how airplanes look like on my 27" 2560x1440 monitor at different distance [km] (FOV 97.5 deg, MSAA x 4).

FW190:

image.jpeg

and Ju88:

image.jpeg

As we can see, there is a dependence of visibility range and size of airplane. It's perfect! Thank you, ED. Perhaps, it would be better to have a little more bigger difference... 🤔

What raise questions:

1) As for FW190, at 2 km I see additional dot to current LOD. And it's looks like stable until at least 5 km.

2) from 2 to more then 8 km  I see no changes in DOT (size, color, contrast, transparency). For Ju88 it some where between 3 and more them 10 km.

3) More contrast DOT visible much better at greater distance them more closer LOD. It's sad...

Was it reasonable to integrate it in "LOD Switch Factor" ?

Edited by PeevishMonkey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 10:25 PM, Licenceless said:

I'm an Oculus Quest user, my spotting before wasn't the best, but I could see like most of us - an average mkI eyeball user. With the new spotting update, I can see way more, and by that, I mean everything, every dot is huge. Honestly, this is War Thunder level of mega dots you can see across the map. I can see everything and everywhere in the range of what I can estimate 50km. I know I can revert back to the old way. The problem with this is now I am going to be at a disadvantage compared to people who use the new spotting. Also, DLSS which I actually need makes them even bigger. I honestly think you guys have overdone it. Please consider reworking it.

Kisses and hugs

GOD NO! We finally have decent spotting and can have real fun in dogfights being able to finally have a quick glance at your instruments without losing track of the enemy. Don't event start complaining about "My god, dots are too big", they are PERFECT right now!

• Like 2

On 10/23/2023 at 7:23 AM, PeevishMonkey said:

As for the visibility of contacts, this is a very old game that all players of military flight simulators have been playing on forums since ancient times... 🤣

You need to understand that visual perception is a very complex thing. Only one example: at a considerable distance we can see very thin, but very long wires (this, by the way, explains why a formation of aircraft is visible well and far away, compared to a single aircraft), and not notice the “spot” sparrows at the same distance...
It would be reasonable if ED did something like 10 km for everyone, and so that there wouldn’t be these fat flies that appear at 2 km in the form of either black dots or white ones against the background of clouds...
But we have a very different planes - from I-16 to B-52... Logic and realism sey that visibility distance must be different - from 6.5 to 32 km...

Screen_231022_231924_1.jpgScreen_231022_232537_1.jpgScreen_231022_232306_1.jpg

It's very different to bee able to see something at a distance, and being able to "spot" it while flying, managing the engines and navigation and your weapon systems. DCS 2.8 had a terrible spotting. At one time me and a mate of mine were trying to fly in formation on two Mig-21, unable to find eachother over Caucasus while using the F10 map and Teamspeak on a 1440p.

Finally, after so much time, DCS 2.9 addresses those issues, and to me is a much more important improvement than any DLSS or FSR will ever be.

• Like 1

Over all its a step in the right direction . It just need tweaking . Different setups gives a different outlook , As seen here .

VR definitely needs a Tweak . And the LOD change from black Dot to air-frame needs a tweak .

Also a Turn on Turn off setting , Too give options . 

Edit ....Also noticed if in MT.exe. The black dots are more prominent . I think this has some thing to do with the Ghosting in MT . 

Edited by KoN
  • Like 2

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 10/19/2023 at 10:34 PM, Licenceless said:

@SharpeXB I think what they did is they enlarged all the dots across the board so all VR users as well as 1080p users see even bigger dots than before.

Iam blind as hell on 1080P, way worse than in 2.8. I used 2x msaa in 2.8, now i use 4x and i cant see anything at pretty much point blank. Previously i could spot dots at range, now i cant spot until like 2-5km.