The F-14 now has working replays!

Katmandu

A heads up to all Tomcat lovers - Heatblur's labour of love is no longer limited to the in-cockpit experience. One of the (or simply the?) most cinematic jet of all time finally has a fully working replay system! Replay tracks now sync properly, every single replay has synced for me today. Yesss, "welcome home baby"! 🤩

How it was prior to DCS 2.9:

And how it is now:

Huge thanks and much love to Heatblur and ED!:clap:

Edited by Katmandu
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Awesome news! The Tomcat has always been the most problematic aircraft for me with tracks, so this is definitely a welcome change! :thumbsup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Ah, that makes sense.  Always wondered why my Tomcat would spawn in on the replay about 400 feet below my actual altitude.   Made it weird when watching Case 1 landings, replays would always crash the plane just past the 90.    

Somebody pinch me it works from the boat too. Launch, cloud surfing, trap. All mostly perfect except for really weird jitter from cockpit view on the cat shot.

It also makes me look like a better pilot than I actually am for some reason. While flying I'm pretty sure I'm sloppy with my nose and general rudder work, but in the replay it's like FBW.

• Thanks 1

Argh, high hopes crashed somewhat 😞 Getting nothing but desyncs with guns only 1v1 against F-5 AI. I attach a couple of tracks in the bugs thread 

Still, it's a massive step in the right direction, just hope the new DCS 2.9 replay system can be improved further.

Edited by Katmandu

1 minute ago, Nealius said:

I've noticed on cat shots in replays there's horrible jitter while running down the cat and when airborne immediately after launch.

Maybe it's the known issue from 2.9 changelog?

Objects moving at speed may begin to jitter after some time in mission

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 10/20/2023 at 10:29 PM, Nealius said:

I would think it would affect everything at speed, but doing 550kt fly-bys of the carrier and traps there's no jitter. It's only on the cat shot.

They might mean Acceleration (or even Jerk) not speed. Remember English isn’t the teams first language. 

I tried watching a replay in 2.9 afterwards and it was still out of synch.  I had some pretty good guns kills on targets and when I watched the replay, it was shooting too late and thus missing the targets.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

21 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

I tried watching a replay in 2.9 afterwards and it was still out of synch.  I had some pretty good guns kills on targets and when I watched the replay, it was shooting too late and thus missing the targets.

v6,

boNes

See my posts above, in DCS 2.9 the F-14 replays work only for general flying, take offs and landings (yes, even carriers!). Combat always desyncs the AI. 

Still a massive, massive progress and more to come with future updates I hope.

Here is a replay of a carrier take off, and 3 (!) landing attempts with no desync whatsoever. Try that in any DCs version prior to 2.9 and the F-14 would be deep under water rather quickly.

Edited by Katmandu

• Katmandu changed the title to The F-14 now has working replays!

It's probably not possible to get reliable combat tracks unless the system starts recording AI movements, but a way to at least fake it for cinematic purposes is to put in commands/options/restrictions for the enemy AI in the advanced waypoint actions.

Shameless self-promotion from playing around with the new track reliability (originall for smartphone viewing so rotated screen): Instagram Reel

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:33 AM, Katmandu said:

See my posts above, in DCS 2.9 the F-14 replays work only for general flying, take offs and landings (yes, even carriers!). Combat always desyncs the AI. 

Still a massive, massive progress and more to come with future updates I hope.

Here is a replay of a carrier take off, and 3 (!) landing attempts with no desync whatsoever. Try that in any DCs version prior to 2.9 and the F-14 would be deep under water rather quickly.

I tried it again last night and wow, yes, you are right, I was able to see my trap in "3rd person POV" replay for once!

Here's my "last track" replay--no desynch!  Forgive the sloppy trap, I was wanting to hurry up and test the tracks/replay and get the footage so I nixed tings like radio calls and a proper marshall haha:

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 3 weeks later...