SA-15's ability to engage certain bombs ( GBU-38, APKWS, Durandal and GBU-54 Reported )

I have no idea if this is normal or a bug. Was just trying out 2.9 patch. Here a trk file ignore the colors I was messing with the new option and it didn't go back to default

J

sa15gbu38.trk

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

I've been playing around with the bombs and their RCS to see what can intercept what. I've found that the SA-15 can intercept the following bombs:
1. GBU-38,32, 31 (all 4 variants)
2. GBU-10, 24
3. MK-84

It can't intercept the following:
1. GBU-12, 16
2. MK-82, 83
3. MK-99, CBU-103, CBU-105

I didn't have the time to test them all but I have noticed a pattern that (disregarding JDAMs), the SA-15 was seemingly intended to only shoot at 2000lb class bombs, by the fact that the MK-82, 83 GBU-12, 16, and the cluster bombs are 500lb and 1000lb class ordinance. This inconsistency leads me to believe the SA-15 was probably intended to not be able to intercept 500lb and 1000lb class bombs. I have no documentation to show for this as in-game behavior is all I'm basing this off of. Either SA-15 should be able to intercept everything, or just 2000lb class bombs like I'm guessing.

I'm not sure if this is intended behavior but I just noticed the inconsistency. I will attach tracks bellow, though not of all instances. I don't have time as of now to make a track for each bomb listed but I'll post track files for MK-82, 84, GBU-12, 10, 38, 31. Just to show the inconsistency. If needed I will make time to post track files of all the other listed bombs.

Side note, I quickly tested the C-RAM and it can see and engage GBU-12 so the issue is likely not a lack of RCS coded into the bombs the SA-15 can't intercept.

GBU-10 Test.trk GBU-12 Test.trk GBU-31 Test.trk GBU-38 Test.trk MK-82 Test.trk MK-84 Test.trk

• Like 4

16 часов назад, Hobel сказал:

There are real recordings where the SA-15 shoots at much smaller objects, so a bomb is also a good possibility.

Well then tell me what it should shoot down and what it shouldn’t so that we can understand what now works correctly and what is wrong... Also, could you tell us what other old air defense systems that were already in the game have changed their operating principles?

• Like 1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Mr. Wilson:

Well then tell me what it should shoot down and what it shouldn’t so that we can understand what now works correctly and what is wrong... Also, could you tell us what other old air defense systems that were already in the game have changed their operating principles?

To be honest, I didn't know that the TOR /SA-15 in DCS could do that until yesterday.  

I think this is new.

Therefore, I do not know which systems (except for c-ram) can still do that in DCS.  But my guess would be that it is close to the real capabilities, so my guess would be that the Gepard can now possibly do that too.

• Like 1

17 минут назад, Hobel сказал:

To be honest, I didn't know that the TOR /SA-15 in DCS could do that until yesterday.  

I think this is new.

Therefore, I do not know which systems (except for c-ram) can still do that in DCS.  But my guess would be that it is close to the real capabilities, so my guess would be that the Gepard can now possibly do that too.

Is it possible to invite a person from the development team who is involved in the maintenance and development of air defense systems to this chat?

• Like 1

• ED Team

threads merged, 

I will check with the team 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Hi all

I have checked with the team and it is correct. SA-15 is able to intercept tactical missiles and large bombs.

thank you

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

I have checked with the team and it is correct. SA-15 is able to intercept tactical missiles and large bombs.

thank you

Do you acknowledge the inconsistency presented by Killshot post and tracks above? Why is it engaging GBU-38s, which is not a "large bomb"? Furthermore, why is it engaging GBU-38 but not Mk82s, which are literally identical in size?

Edited by SFJackBauer
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

thank you

Define "large" please. Why does it intercept gbu-38 and not intercept mk-82 and GBU-12 which is basically the same bomb (mk-82)? A bit of consistency would be nice.

• Like 2

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

6 часов назад, BIGNEWY сказал:

Hi all

thank you

Do you understand that in this case you are contradicting yourself? You are talking about big bombs, but at the same time they are trying to convey to you the information that TOP shoots down a small bomb...

• Like 1

6 часов назад, BIGNEWY сказал:

Hi all

thank you

If TOR can shoot down GBU-38 bombs, then he should be able to shoot down all bombs of that caliber. As you can see, he doesn't. This suggests that your game doesn't have a model that factors in the size of the bomb. Before the patch, your munitions were categorized as bombs and missiles, and TOR would only shoot down missiles, ignoring bombs regardless of their size. Now, it seems as if someone just labeled a bomb as a missile in the game code, and TOR started shooting it down. Please be honest here. Some people have dedicated more than 10 years to this game, and we are very familiar with its mechanics.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all

thank you

On 10/20/2023 at 1:09 AM, Killshot0597 said:

I've been playing around with the bombs and their RCS to see what can intercept what. I've found that the SA-15 can intercept the following bombs:
1. GBU-38,32, 31 (all 4 variants)
2. GBU-10, 24
3. MK-84

It can't intercept the following:
1. GBU-12, 16
2. MK-82, 83
3. MK-99, CBU-103, CBU-105

I didn't have the time to test them all but I have noticed a pattern that (disregarding JDAMs), the SA-15 was seemingly intended to only shoot at 2000lb class bombs, by the fact that the MK-82, 83 GBU-12, 16, and the cluster bombs are 500lb and 1000lb class ordinance. This inconsistency leads me to believe the SA-15 was probably intended to not be able to intercept 500lb and 1000lb class bombs. I have no documentation to show for this as in-game behavior is all I'm basing this off of. Either SA-15 should be able to intercept everything, or just 2000lb class bombs like I'm guessing.

I'm not sure if this is intended behavior but I just noticed the inconsistency. I will attach tracks bellow, though not of all instances. I don't have time as of now to make a track for each bomb listed but I'll post track files for MK-82, 84, GBU-12, 10, 38, 31. Just to show the inconsistency. If needed I will make time to post track files of all the other listed bombs.

Side note, I quickly tested the C-RAM and it can see and engage GBU-12 so the issue is likely not a lack of RCS coded into the bombs the SA-15 can't intercept.

GBU-10 Test.trk 47.29 kB · 0 downloads GBU-12 Test.trk 53.5 kB · 0 downloads GBU-31 Test.trk 43.48 kB · 0 downloads GBU-38 Test.trk 45.51 kB · 0 downloads MK-82 Test.trk 51.32 kB · 0 downloads MK-84 Test.trk 45.33 kB · 0 downloads

Hello,

Would you please check Killshot0597 tests ?

There is a flagrant contradiction and inconsistency in what you are defining as a "large" bomb.

Thank you

• ED Team

the initial post was about the capability of the SA-15 to engage various munitions, then we merged a thread. 

I will take a close look on Monday. 

thanks

On 10/20/2023 at 5:55 AM, Hobel said:

There are real recordings where the SA-15 shoots at much smaller objects, so a bomb is also a good possibility.

There are 2 variants of Tor in Russian service afaik. The M1 and M2, which I believe we have the M1
«Πόλεμος» δικηγόρων - δικαστών για τα Tor - M1

While the Tor M2 has a different dish, more modern and likely much more capable of detecting and intercepting smaller targets (up to small drones)
Αντιαεροπορικά Tor-M2 κατέρριψαν, σε άσκηση, πύραυλο Cruise σε υψόμετρο ...

vor einer Stunde schrieb Killshot0597:

There are 2 variants of Tor in Russian service afaik. The M1 and M2, which I believe we have the M1
«Πόλεμος» δικηγόρων - δικαστών για τα Tor - M1

While the Tor M2 has a different dish, more modern and likely much more capable of detecting and intercepting smaller targets (up to small drones)
Αντιαεροπορικά Tor-M2 κατέρριψαν, σε άσκηση, πύραυλο Cruise σε υψόμετρο ...

The Sa-15 should also be able to do this in the M1 version, but I would throw that out there as a strong assumption for now.

• ED Team
50 minutes ago, Mr. Wilson said:

Do you have any news for us?

No not yet, I did not get the chance to go over this report yet, I have been dealing with other tasks. 

• ED Team

Hi all, 

after speaking with the team the SA-15 will try to engage projectiles with a RCS of 0.04 or higher. 

• Thanks 1