Screen Flickering Since 2.9 Update

DAZnBLAST
Go to solution Solved by DAZnBLAST,

I am waiting haha. My post was a question on possible root cause, not a complaint.

Edited by DAZnBLAST

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

• ED Team
1 hour ago, DAZnBLAST said:

I am waiting haha. My post was question on possible root cause, not a complaint.

When I look at the report all I see is matrix code 🙂 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 21 Stunden schrieb DAZnBLAST:

@BIGNEWY We know this lighting, black and white flashes started when DLSS and SSS got introduced with 2.9. Are these graphical advances the cause?

This issue has been around longer than 2.9.

So I seriously doubt it has anything to do with DLSS and SSS

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

I play DCS daily and noticed it with the 2.9 release. When the game settings changed to introduce DLSS and SSS. Never had any flickering before that.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

• Solution

Flying along in the AH64 weapons range miz again and it appears fixed for me. Thank You to all at ED, top team 🙂

• Like 2

My Hangar:

My Spec:

Looking good. 
-Double checked the most notorious missions.
What a relief!

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

It's not fixed!

Just flew Sinai map & there's still multiple, intermittent severe flickering. I tried PG map with no issues. Screen shot showing split sec during the flicker. Yes I have the latest update & I also didn't notice anything mentioned in the latest Changelog concerning this issue, which has been going on for at least a few weeks now.

If needed I can post a short vid.

Please kindly fix ED & thanks for reading.

Regards GA

SINAI MAP FLICKER 20.12.23.png

Edited by GazAce
Additional info

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

vor 3 Stunden schrieb GazAce:

It's not fixed!

Just flew Sinai map & there's still severe flickering. I captured the split sec during the flicker. Will post a short vid if you need it. 

Please fix ED, thank you.

SINAI MAP FLICKER 20.12.23.png

Sinai reportedly had flickering issues before the global flickering got patched into the game. It probably still has these issues but they were covered up by the global flickering. 

Do you still get flickering on all maps?

And can you try to disable the cockpit mirrors, because that helped some with the "sinai flickering"

Edit: Oh and one of numerous posts showing the flicker on sinai, which by the way seems to affect part of the screen only .

Edited by Sile
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:58 AM, Flappie said:

Some good news: both white flashes and black flicker issues should be fixed with the next OB update.

I guess "should be" meant 50/50 chance yea? 

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Flappie:

"Should" because sometimes hotfixes happen. Hotifxes don't contain the standard "train" of updates.

Why are you asking? Are you still witnessing white flashes and/or black filcker?

See his post and mine three posts above. He still sees them but probably only on the sinai map.
It reportedly had flickering issues before the "global flickering" got patched into the game.
Sinai probably still has these issues but they were covered up by the global flickering. Now the issues show again.

Sinai Map flickering is reported in the corresponded forum/thread and can be mitigated or evaded by disabling cockpit mirrors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sile said:

See his post and mine three posts above. He still sees them but probably only on the sinai map.
It reportedly had flickering issues before the "global flickering" got patched into the game.
Sinai probably still has these issues but they were covered up by the global flickering. Now the issues show again.

Sinai Map flickering is reported in the corresponded forum/thread and can be mitigated or evaded by disabling cockpit mirrors.

Thank you, I had missed these.

You are right, the Sinai terrain is prone to black flicker. I'll bump the internal report.

• Like 3

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I was able to do some Testing today. 20 minutes on Sinai map with AH64 and active Flir in VR. No Black white Flickering since update. Also 5 Minutes in FA18 and F16 with Tgp Flir. No Black white flashes anymore. Also testet in 2d on my Rog Ally with AH 64. No black white Flasches by active Flir. For me at the moment the Problem is solved.

13600k 4090 64gb Ram hp reverb g2

And Rog Ally

Edited by Batrag

16 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thank you, I had missed these.

You are right, the Sinai terrain is prone to black flicker. I'll bump the internal report.

Thanks for that Flappie.

Report: I tested earlier today, flew for about 6 mins or so in Sinai map in the same mission I was having the flickering issues with. Before that, I disabled Global Illumination & also the Mirrors & no initial flickering evident. I ran out of time as I had to go to work but will give it a longer run when I get home soon. Fingers crossed all good. 

3 hours ago, GazAce said:

Thanks for that Flappie.

Report: I tested earlier today, flew for about 6 mins or so in Sinai map in the same mission I was having the flickering issues with. Before that, I disabled Global Illumination & also the Mirrors & no initial flickering evident. I ran out of time as I had to go to work but will give it a longer run when I get home soon. Fingers crossed all good. 

FIXED! ( I hope anyway )

Re enabled Global Illumination but left the Mirrors OFF & flew the same mission in Sinai where I would get the flicker within a a couple of minutes. This time around I saw not one flicker after flying the mission to the end after around 30 mins. This has made me very happy as the flicker was driving me crazy while trying to record for my YT ch. I hope this lasts & I do think it will.

Many thanks to all who submitted workarounds & fixes for this problem. 

Kind regards GA

2 hours ago, GazAce said:

FIXED! ( I hope anyway )

Re enabled Global Illumination but left the Mirrors OFF & flew the same mission in Sinai where I would get the flicker within a a couple of minutes. This time around I saw not one flicker after flying the mission to the end after around 30 mins. This has made me very happy as the flicker was driving me crazy while trying to record for my YT ch. I hope this lasts & I do think it will.

I'd rather say WORKAROUND!

I tested Sinai yesterday with mirrors on and I'm still able to reproduce the issue (report bumped).

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Six-minute video showing flickering and color transitions. Worse on the Sinai map.  The video shows some flicker and color shifting in the first two minutes, the second two minutes it acts okay, and in the last two minutes, it really goes nuts. Did I win the prize for the worst acting screen? 🙂 This is after I set the right display. I can fly the same route without adding any display setup or just the left display and there are no problems.

Looney

No Problem!

FYI I’ve seen a couple of folks say this was a problem introduced with the 2.9 update and I remember I first noticed it with the F-15E Strike Eagle on the Syria map before the 2.9 update. I’d have to go back and look at some of the videos I posted to YouTube with the F15E to get an exact date but it was before 2.9 I know for a fact. I remember my friend asking if he was seeing lightning & I didn’t know what he was talking about until a few minutes later when I saw the same thing. Anyway, if ED you need the date of the video I can go back through and look for it. It has to be around the time the F15ESE was released. Thanks & please let me know if you need that.

• 2 months later...