New pilot model issues / helmet view issue

TheFreshPrince
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

I actually didn't have time to test until now, and it turns out that the problem isn't that bad, at least for me, and in VR. Maybe it is because I use a custom cockpit view that match as much as possible the correct position of the head in the cockpit (based on the external 3D model and the shoulders of the previous body model), so when I contort to check my six my head isn't too far from the model's head position. Something to take into account while the fix is coming.

• Like 1

I love the view of the new 3D pilot, good job, but I normally fly with the pilot enabled and now the helmet prevents me from seeing what I have at my six, or checking the status, position and operation of the ailerons. A first-person view of the pilot is not supposed to show the pilot's own head.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 12:40 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I am not a fan of it myself but I have been told by the team it is intended. 

wouldn't the fact the head leaves 'normal body position' just be because the user is leaning forward to get clearance for their shoulder to turn ?? that what I always thought it was, and just lacking a body animation.

+1 for removing the helmet, this looks awful: I don't use the new body because I can't see with it, but I exclusively flew with the old body enabled when there was no helmet.

• Like 1

• ED Team

The team are already working on a tweak for the next update. 

Thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb BIGNEWY:

Thank you

You are from the ED Team?
Well i want to say this to you: I played DCS before the MT was integrated and i remember the graphics very well. It was very good and that was the one of few reasons I came from BMS here to DCS, my best choice I ever made. I upgraded my PC and this year was THE YEAR for DCS. You guys fulfilled the promise you gave us last year with the film DCS WORLD | 2023 AND BEYOND. You added stuff there I even don't know and understand, you fixed a lot of stuff and you added DLSS and Multi Threading.  👍

This morning i started DCS and was amazed how good the graphics just looks. And compared to older version, this is the top of the top. Before MT and DLSS i remember i got 75-80 FPS on Missions, now i have 180 FPS and the lowest is +120 FPS. That's amazing, i just enjoy this, you have no idea how big the joy is, even MFS20 don't look such sharp and realistic. I believe, you guys are ready for the dynamic campaign 💪 and then you will be unstoppable.

And yes, about the 3D Pilot from the F-18, I was always mad because of the ugly textures in the beautiful F-18. Now with the new model, you just nailed it. I saw that you are working on fixes, like the Helm of the Pilot when you look behind; The cover of the Helm should have an effect when down or the Knee board don't show any pages etc.

What i would suggest also: I owned the F-15E too and i must say, they got the pilot model very well. For sure, i am not asking for those G effects on the model, it's nice to have, but what i miss on the new pilot model is the Hose from the helmet. You already can see it in the F-18, but only when you look left/right else it's not "there" My suggestion is, to be able to see the hose also if we look a little bit down for example. So we may feel we are in the jet. 

Thank you ED Team,
I cant wait for the DCS WORLD 2024 AND BEYOND announcement.
This Sim is going the right direction 👍

Screen_231029_154105-min.png

Screen_231029_154932-min.png

Edited by Omega1-1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you

Good!

There cant be any logical reasons to why someone would want to see their own head in a FIRST person view.

Really like the new kneeboard, looking forward to getting the pages working on it, I only use the one on the leg of the pilot so its great that the new one is a little bigger.

vor 56 Minuten schrieb Megalax:

image.png?ex=65511ab4&is=653ea5b4&hm=cfa

JHMCS frame clipping through the visor. Seen in model viewer.

Can even be seen in the Bogey Dope's video here

I don't understand your point at all. I looked on the image and this video clip, where I should focus to see what you mean?
Or can you simply explain the thing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omega1-1 said:

I don't understand your point at all. I looked on the image and this video clip, where I should focus to see what you mean?
Or can you simply explain the thing?

The white bits in the visor. Its the JHMCS frame poking through the visor glass.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Megalax:

The white bits in the visor. Its the JHMCS frame poking through the visor glass.

Yes i got you. I thought there is something white, like scratched texture, but now make sense what you said. 
How did you even notice that? 🫡

For the OP's comments on not having VR - yes, the problem is still there and it's almost as bad. You can check six, but you are almost always seeing the helmet or parts of it in your peripheral vision (such as it is in VR) when twisting around to see back.

I kinda like not having the head on the first-person pilot model at all better ...

This would be less of a problem with the Apache, in my experience in VR, because you're not checking six anywhere near as much as you are in the Hornet.

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@BIGNEWY @Eagle Dynamics @NineLineplease could you clarify if this option will be available to be able to have the JHCMS removed? and the night vision goggles on the helmet model in external view? these are things that have been promised to be done, another thing aside the helmet model deforms any texture that is added to it so painting the helmets is a headache.

IMG_9961.jpeg

IMG_9962.jpeg

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9964.jpeg

Edited by Ala12Rv-Muscat

Sin-ttulo-3-zpskg9bm6js.png

• 3 weeks later...

@BIGNEWY 

First of all thank ED for his effort to improve the 3D model of the F/A-18C Hornet pilot in the last patch, it is a fantastic model, much better than the previous one, but still needs work, I will detail some things I have seen as skin maker in case it helps to continue improving it:

• The 3D mesh of the helmet deforms any texture added on the sides of the helmet.
  • The velcro patch on the top of the helmet has too much height and is not realistic.
  • The visor is not supported on the mbu-20 oxygen mask as it really is (see attached images) giving an unrealistic appearance.
  • These pieces so characteristic of these helmets that protect the visor from scratches against the helmet are missing.

I hope it serves as help to continue improving the helmet model.

greetings

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-26 122944.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-26 123023.png

Edited by Ala12Rv-Muscat

• ED Team
23 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

@BIGNEWY 

First of all thank ED for his effort to improve the 3D model of the F/A-18C Hornet pilot in the last patch, it is a fantastic model, much better than the previous one, but still needs work, I will detail some things I have seen as skin maker in case it helps to continue improving it:

• The 3D mesh of the helmet deforms any texture added on the sides of the helmet.
  • The velcro patch on the top of the helmet has too much height and is not realistic.
  • The visor is not supported on the mbu-20 oxygen mask as it really is (see attached images) giving an unrealistic appearance.
  • These pieces so characteristic of these helmets that protect the visor from scratches against the helmet are missing.

I hope it serves as help to continue improving the helmet model.

greetings

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-26 122944.png

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-26 123023.png

Hi and thank you for the feedback, I have created a task for the team to review the feedback in this thread. 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

thank you very much,

I have also found another problem related to the new helmet model in the simulator, in flight, although the animation of raising and lowering the visor if it works the visor does not move and stays fixed in the same position.

Also the 3D mesh of the helmet is not smoothed at all and produces strange effects in certain lighting conditions (see attached image).

Greetings

47d4a21b71aee52b6e3c1dd8d81eb486.jpeg

More information about some problems with the current ED F/A-18C Hornet helmet (after the last update):

I attach some images showing the deformation in the textures due to the current 3d model mesh of the helmet, this makes it impossible to add complex textures in the helmet with quality and makes very difficult the work to the skin makers.

I hope it helps and serves the ED team to solve these problems,

greetings

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-28 190128.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 185121.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 185152.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 185411.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 185438.png

and finally regarding the visor and the oxygen mask, contrasting dozens of photos on the hgu-68P and the mbu-20 oxygen mask:

- The mask should be closer to the pilot's face so the nose piece touches the forehead.
- The visor should be lowered all the way, so it would touch the mask as it really is.

Thanks @BIGNEWY for the support.

Greetings

s-l1200.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-28 192337.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 192201.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 192324.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 190027.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-02-28 190044.png

Edited by Ala12Rv-Muscat

To my knowledge, HGU-68/P helmets in USN service did have the elephant ears, but not the visor rest protrusions on top (these are more in-line with HGU-55/P helmets). The helmet had a fixed track for the visor, however many helmets ended up unofficially modified to retain the NVG clips while swapping to the single-bungee visor strap. Additional information and examples on helmets used in U.S. Navy service can be found here: https://www.salimbeti.com/aviation/helmets4.htm

Here's some examples of the modified -68/P:

hgu68-09.jpghgu68-03.jpg

Actual -68/P helmets would look more like this:
hgu68-07.jpghgu68-11.jpg

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

hace 1 hora, Tholozor dijo:

To my knowledge, HGU-68/P helmets in USN service did have the elephant ears, but not the visor rest protrusions on top (these are more in-line with HGU-55/P helmets). The helmet had a fixed track for the visor, however many helmets ended up unofficially modified to retain the NVG clips while swapping to the single-bungee visor strap. Additional information and examples on helmets used in U.S. Navy service can be found here: https://www.salimbeti.com/aviation/helmets4.htm

Here's some examples of the modified -68/P:

hgu68-09.jpghgu68-03.jpg

Actual -68/P helmets would look more like this:
hgu68-07.jpghgu68-11.jpg

The elephant ears are not currently modeled, even though they were included in the first renders of the helmet that were published,

The visor rest protrusions should be included since not only the United States flies the Hornet and in this way to make a more generic helmet including these parts would be more fair to simulate other hornet operators like Spain, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, Canada etc.

IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3150.jpeg

IMG_3149.jpeg

Edited by Ala12Rv-Muscat

11 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

The visor rest protrusions should be included since not only the United States flies the Hornet and in this way to make a more generic helmet including these parts would be more fair to simulate other hornet operators like Spain, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, Canada etc.

Except it's been explicitly stated that the non-JHMCS helmet is supposed to be a U.S. Navy HGU-68/P, which did not have the protrusions. But yes, the elephant ears are definitely missing.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2023-09-08/

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/