Stuck on Sim PostStart

Focha

Trying to start a ME mission and stucks at Sim PostStart. dcs.log is below. Don't know what is wrong.

Tested in two PCs.

dcs.log

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Nope. No success.

I've deleted some units that were giving errors on log, AH-1W and UH-1 and after that it was ok.

I've copied the mission and paste it to another folder, and without changing the mission... I've had the same error.

It is again stuck on Sim PostStart. Don't know what is happening.

I've made two DCS repairs and did not resolve.

A new dcs.log below.

dcs.log

Edited by Focha

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I had the same problem for months, some missions (only on the Syria map) never load, but a user from the forum gave me a solution that ALWAYS works, and its to first start the mission as a multiplayer server, it will load, then, you exit the mission (or continue it as a server), and then load the mission again normally. Give it a try🧐

Il 9/12/2023 at 20:58, AKULA_OPTIMUS ha scritto:

I had the same problem for months, some missions (only on the Syria map) never load, but a user from the forum gave me a solution that ALWAYS works, and its to first start the mission as a multiplayer server, it will load, then, you exit the mission (or continue it as a server), and then load the mission again normally. Give it a try🧐

Thanks for tip, but not possible in paid-campaign

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Nealius said:

For anyone else still having this problem, trying going to C:/Users/yourusername/AppData/Local/Temp and delete all folders with DCS in the name, then try the mission again.

good tip. in a perfect world anything in this folder should go away when DCS closes. if DCS closes poorly, files will remain.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

44 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

good tip. in a perfect world anything in this folder should go away when DCS closes. if DCS closes poorly, files will remain.

Good point. DCS should clean this folder whenever it starts. I'll make a request to devs.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming back to say that clearing the temp folder isn't reliable. I'm having the Sim PostStart hangs repeatedly today and cleaning the temp folder, fxo folders, metashaders, etc. isn't working. The only thing that works is loading a known working mission and then the affected missions will load normally, indefinitely, as long as I do not quit DCS. If I quit DCS, then come back a few minutes later, the process repeats.

I'd like to be absolutely sure this has nothing to do with "%TEMP%/DCS...". Can you please make this test?

1. Start DCS and run any mission that works. Pause the game.
  2. Browse to "%TEMP%" and make a copy your "DCS" or "DCS.openbeta" folder (it contains the mission files among other things).
  3. Now exit DCS.
  4. Run DCS, wait for the main menu, then Alt+Tab to Windows.
  5. Browse to "%TEMP%": remove your "DCS" or "DCS.openbeta" folder and replace it with the copy you made at step 2.
  6. Run the affected mission. Does it work?

@Flappie That did work. I'll have to try it a few more times in the next few days to make sure it's reliable. 

I'm also seeing a pattern--at least tonight--where the affected mission(s) hang on Sim PostStart if I make a change in the editor and save the mission, or if I go through the mission browser and change my payload through the planner. If I go straight through the mission browser and on to "fly" it has a tendency to load properly.

Edited by Nealius

You should avoid running any program as Administrator, unless you are doing some Administrator task. I'm not saying this is the cause of the issue, I can't tell.

Can you please reproduce the problem then attach a zip containing your "%TEMP%/DCS..." folder? I'll see if I'm able to reproduce the issue when I use your files. I also need you to tell me which mission does cause the crash.

Here's a Google Drive upload of the offending mission and %TEMP% DCS.openbeta folder when it hung up: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZaXHAsed58llKqv_YOJ6ezFJuuy6Nye0?usp=sharing

It's always this Marianas mission or a derivative of it. I created this mission post-2.8 because I thought older builds were causing the problem, but the issue came back again regardless of making a fresh mission.

@Nealius The only thing that works for me is the workaroung mentioned earlier, launch the mission in MP, exit, then launch the mission in Mission Editor or launch the mission normally.

Tried to erase the %TEMP% folder content but then the mission gives me at launch script errors. Tried to restore the contents from Recycle Bin to the %TEMP% again and it just hungs and don´t restore the files (mainly .Ogg files).

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

@fagulha Launching as MP hangs at Sim PostStart as well. I can only get the mission to run by running another one of my supercarrier missions in Syria or Sinai first, then running the Marianas mission straight through the file browser. If I make any edit in the Mission Editor or Mission Planner it will hang up again. 

11 hours ago, Nealius said:

@fagulha Launching as MP hangs at Sim PostStart as well. I can only get the mission to run by running another one of my supercarrier missions in Syria or Sinai first, then running the Marianas mission straight through the file browser. If I make any edit in the Mission Editor or Mission Planner it will hang up again. 

Mine yesterday only loads in MP after the second attempt. Are you using the Supercarrier in your missions? i´m asking this because if i delete the Supercarrier and all the statics on deck i have no poststart hang and mission loads normally. Although i need more testing for confirmation.

Edited by fagulha
Typo

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:34 AM, Flappie said:

You should avoid running any program as Administrator, unless you are doing some Administrator task.

bonjour flappie. you may already know this. sometimes when an app is run as an admin, appdata for the app can be saved under another profile. it really depends on the app. 

@Nealius i downloaded your mission and am going to try it on my rig. as flappie and i discussed in another post, in a perfect world, the %temp%\dcs.openbeta folder should be devoid of files except two empty folders, a track file, and a mission file. the contents you provided has a temp LUA referring to MOOSE.

env.info( '*** MOOSE GITHUB Commit Hash ID: 2023-08-22T08:24:40.0000000Z-cf824b912d05d63da4aa28cb323872c9d2b59831 ***' )
env.info( '*** MOOSE STATIC INCLUDE START *** ' )

perhaps this is causing an issue.

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

16 minutes ago, Nealius said:

@silverdevil I use the same MOOSE and AIRBOSS scripts in other missions and they do not cause problems,

roger. i tried to load your mission. i was able to spawn in F-16. 

here is my DCS.LOG

dcs.log

my %temp% had some remnants from the mission in the mission\l10n folder. LUAs.

Edited by silverdevil

Happening in PG map as well, mission was created in v2.9.

Strangely, Syria and Sinai missions with the same supercarrier assets do not have issues. Is there any chance it could be terrain related (Marianas and PG being ED maps, Sinai and Syria being 3rd parties)? It shouldn't be the MOOSE or AIRBOSS scripts as those are copy-pasted (with edits only to the unit names) from the Syria mission which works fine.

Z-PG-Sandbox-RealWx.miz