MICRO STUTTERING DCS 2.9

Go to solution Solved by Insonia,

Hi, 

I'm new here and non English spoken native so sorry for the mistakes.

Here are my specs:

Intel i7-11700KF Running on turbo intel mode up to 5000MHz, Mainboard MAG-B560 Mortar, GPU MSI Geforce RTX 4060Ti 8Gb, RAM Kingston 64Gb DDR4 3200 CL16 runningon BIOS on XMP, Windows 11, OS installed on Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2, DCS open beta on SSD850 pro, and DCS stable on Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2

Triple Monitors LG 22MP57VQ-P 60Hz with trackIR 5.

I've started to play on DCS a couple of years ago on the sames specs but with a GPU EVGA GTX980Ti 6Gb, switched a year later to a MSI RTX 3060 12Gb, and switched again a month ago to the last MSI Geforce RTX 4060Ti 8Gb.

The thing is it that DCS always run smooth with an average of 30/40 FPS with the Evga gtx980, and more ore less 40/60 FPS on the RTX3060.

MT launch was a good improvement for the overall FPS, increasing around 5/10 FPS and everything was running good, till the last update 2.9.

It even run smooth during a couple of weeks after the release of 2.9, and then suddenly the chaos. I know this is super strange!!

I've tried almost everything, I'm not a good grantor about PC's, just basic knowledge and self learning when I need something.

But I'm sorry I don't know what else could I do with my micro stuttering. I've even thinking if what I have is micro stutter, the thing is that my self FPS counter on DCS is not stable anymore, is constantly jumping on between 30/40/50 every few seconds, making no more a straigh tline, but now a full of squares line. 

I've changed and tried several settings on both Nvidia control panel and on in game settings, without any success. I've got the micro stuttering on both stable, and open beta versions, on both MT and ST, I've even tried to downgrade my DCS to a older 2.8 versions, but the thing is that the stutters are still there, even on previous versions, never gone anymore.

I can assure you that up to the 2 weeks after the release of 2.9 I've played smooth, but no anymore now.

I'm maybe thinking about a possible hardware problem, but on other games runs normally and my temperatures are more than acceptable, never more than 55 ºC on both CPU and GPU (I have a good cooling system) Neither the loads looks like abnormal 100% for GPU and between 20 to 40% for the CPU.

What could I do? any ideas?

I've attached my dcs.log and dxdiag just in case could help ED to try to get as much information as possible and find a solution for all.

This is super frustrating. For me DCS is an escape route than could not use anymore for now.

Well, thanks for reading and any help or ideas will be appreciated. 

Thanks a lot and Regards!!

dcs.log DxDiag.txt

PC SPECS: 

CPU: Intel i7 11700KF @ 3,6 GHz | MB: MSI MAG B560 MORTAR | GPU: MSI RTX4060Ti GAMING X 8GB DDR6 | MEMORY: Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 3200 MHz 2x32 GB | HD DCS: Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 | HD O/S: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 | OS: Windows 11 | BIOS PROFILE: XMP1 | Monitors setup: Triple screens LG 22MP57VQ 60Hz | TRACKIR: Naturalpoint 5

Hello, I was wondering for your triple screens do you use the 3 monitor lua or nVidia surround?? also that card is not too good it was mainly made for a single 1080P monitor.. here is a review from gamers nexus:

what are your DCS Options set at? screenshot if you can please.. also try and disable hotplug devices found on the controls page lower right.. maybe put your Page file a little higher if you have the drive space to do so..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hi, sorry for the delay on answering, and thanks to take time to answer me.

I've tried both nvidia surround and with the 3 monitors configuration on DCS, but not with any LUA, I don't know how to do it.

Regarding the options on DCS I've tried all the combinations possible with any significant changes. 

The thing is that after the release of 2.9 it has been working smooth for me during almost 2 or 3 weeks and after that, it started to stuttering. That's what I don't understand.

I know that my graphic card is not the best one for big resolutions, but if the previous one the RTX 3060 worked well with the triple monitor and comfortably high settings on DCS, why now a newer and more powerful and modern GPU shouldn't work properly?

I'm pretty sure that is software related with the release of the 2.9 version, but what I couldn't understand is why now reverting to 2.8 is still producing stuttering.

So I'm very confused.

So find attached here my settings on DCS.

Again thanks for your help.

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-20 141812.png

PC SPECS: 

CPU: Intel i7 11700KF @ 3,6 GHz | MB: MSI MAG B560 MORTAR | GPU: MSI RTX4060Ti GAMING X 8GB DDR6 | MEMORY: Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 3200 MHz 2x32 GB | HD DCS: Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 | HD O/S: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 | OS: Windows 11 | BIOS PROFILE: XMP1 | Monitors setup: Triple screens LG 22MP57VQ 60Hz | TRACKIR: Naturalpoint 5

well IDK then I would try and turn down some settings and optimise your PC.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• ED Team

Hot plug Events
Disable hot plug in your CONTROLS section.

Error in your above log
attempt to compare number with nil
Line
Script
C:\Users\carlo\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/aircraft/PUCARA/Cockpit/Scripts/Systems/weapons.lua

might be worth removing all unofficial mods and running a repair 

Tuning Tips

Turn down MSAA to 2x.
Decrease Visibility Range to Ultra or lower.
Set Shadows to Medium.
Set Clouds to High.
Disable civil traffic.
Turn down Anisotropic Filtering.
Decrease Terrain Textures.
Set Water to Low.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks anyway for your time again.

But no changes at all lowering the settings, the only change is FPS increase but with same stuttering.

And also let me say that the stutter even don't disappear now when I try to play with only one monitor. So I think is not GPU related neither.

Regarding optimisation the PC what do you exactly mean?

PC SPECS: 

hace 3 minutos, BIGNEWY dijo:

Hot plug Events
Disable hot plug in your CONTROLS section.

Error in your above log
attempt to compare number with nil
Line
Script
C:\Users\carlo\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/aircraft/PUCARA/Cockpit/Scripts/Systems/weapons.lua

might be worth removing all unofficial mods and running a repair 

Tuning Tips

Turn down MSAA to 2x.
Decrease Visibility Range to Ultra or lower.
Set Shadows to Medium.
Set Clouds to High.
Disable civil traffic.
Turn down Anisotropic Filtering.
Decrease Terrain Textures.
Set Water to Low.

1st thing: hotplug. several times done after reading on several forums. Althoug there is no any check that indicates that the hotplug it was done? Right? Just press the button and thats all.

2nd thing: ok I will try but then why I have same problems also on stable version without any mod installed?

3rd thing: tuning tips. Ok I will try and let tou know, but if it was flyable for me with this settings before the 2.9 release, why should I lower now?

Again thanks to all for your help

PC SPECS: 

Well optimise you know like in nVida control panel set in Program settings for the DCS GPU at max usage and is your CPU Overclocked and the XMP PRofile selected..

Can you get a video of your stuterring.. I notice when I have Terrain textures and terrain on anything other then med and low I get Game stutter real bad.. if you post a video naybe we can see what is happening in real time and please turn on the DCS FPS Counter with the Graph..

Ok thanks a lot will do tomorrow, time to real flight now 😉

PC SPECS: 

also have you tried using Process Lasso?? that helps a little bit too.

Hi to all, 

I've tried lowering again my DCS settings as recommended by Bignewey. I've tried unparking CPU with unpark CPU App, I've tried also Process Lasso with no positive result at all.

This is the video of what I've got while flying.

This had never happened before with my current set up and the triple monitor before the 2.9 was release.

Tanks to all.

• Like 1

PC SPECS: 

• ED Team

can you take some screenshots of your NVIDIA control panel for graphics settings and attach them here

also are you running any background apps or tasks in windows. 

and let me know if you are running any scripts in dcs C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

hace 26 minutos, BIGNEWY dijo:

Please also try this if you have not already 

Hi, 

These are the screenshots of my Nvidia control panel settings, both for global and specific in game for DCS. Let me know that I've tried several combinations with no other changes than on FPS but not on stuttering.

As a background tasks take a look to my task manager what it shows, and let me know if one of those could be affecting. but as a general rule I try to have the PC as much "free" as possible.

As a script running, the only script that I'm using is the voice attack one, running on DCS stable version. This could be affecting? I haven't think about it, but till the release of 2.9 it was working perfectly fine for me. I could try to uninstall and see.

I've tested with the mt.lua file that you suggested. No changes.

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112709.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112751.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112803.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112823.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112838.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112848.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 112902.png

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-21 114622.png

PC SPECS: 

• ED Team

in task manager why do you have two dcs updater.exe showing and a DCS.exe? 

Might be worth doing a pc reboot 

use prefer maximum performance for power mode

and try low latency - ultra 

• Like 1

Hey,

if the above tips don't do the trick already, please try the following.

Open the services app in windows. Find the service named "Power" and disable it (you need to reboot). That will keep windows from applying any power-saving function and most importantly, this service does frequent interrupts to investigate if it can apply any power savings.

You can't damage anything by disabling it (other than your battery time if you are on a notebook) and you can easily re-enable it the same way.

Unfortunately, I don't know how this service is called in italien or spanish. But you shoul be able to find it.

Good Luck!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

hace 2 horas, BIGNEWY dijo:

in task manager why do you have two dcs updater.exe showing and a DCS.exe? 

Might be worth doing a pc reboot 

use prefer maximum performance for power mode

and try low latency - ultra 

Hi again, 

Ohh sorry, this is was because I was performing a repair of DCS open beta while running the stable version.

I've also tried maximum performance and low latency with no changes.

hace 2 horas, Hiob dijo:

Hey,

if the above tips don't do the trick already, please try the following.

Open the services app in windows. Find the service named "Power" and disable it (you need to reboot). That will keep windows from applying any power-saving function and most importantly, this service does frequent interrupts to investigate if it can apply any power savings.

You can't damage anything by disabling it (other than your battery time if you are on a notebook) and you can easily re-enable it the same way.

Unfortunately, I don't know how this service is called in italien or spanish. But you shoul be able to find it.

Good Luck!

I've also tried this some days ago with no changes at all, I'll try again and let's see

PC SPECS: 

6 minutes ago, lovethewayoumove said:

I've also tried this some days ago with no changes at all, I'll try again and let's see

It's no silver bullet of course. (Unfortunately)

Two other random ideas:

- If you are using Winwing Inout devices  - their software causes problems sometimes (related to some scripts in the DCS folder iirc)

- try using a different version of the nvidia drivers

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

hace 10 minutos, Hiob dijo:

It's no silver bullet of course. (Unfortunately)

Two other random ideas:

- If you are using Winwing Inout devices  - their software causes problems sometimes (related to some scripts in the DCS folder iirc)

- try using a different version of the nvidia drivers

hehehe I can imagine.

I'm currently using thrustmaster warthog, I've also thinked about if the peripherals could be causing any issue, but for now I've don't made any test about it.

Regarding the nvidia drivers, I've reverted several days ago to the original that came with the GPU and again, no changes.

PC SPECS: 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:58 PM, lovethewayoumove said:

Hi, 

I'm new here and non English spoken native so sorry for the mistakes.

Here are my specs:

Intel i7-11700KF Running on turbo intel mode up to 5000MHz, Mainboard MAG-B560 Mortar, GPU MSI Geforce RTX 4060Ti 8Gb, RAM Kingston 64Gb DDR4 3200 CL16 runningon BIOS on XMP, Windows 11, OS installed on Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2, DCS open beta on SSD850 pro, and DCS stable on Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2

Triple Monitors LG 22MP57VQ-P 60Hz with trackIR 5.

I've started to play on DCS a couple of years ago on the sames specs but with a GPU EVGA GTX980Ti 6Gb, switched a year later to a MSI RTX 3060 12Gb, and switched again a month ago to the last MSI Geforce RTX 4060Ti 8Gb.

The thing is it that DCS always run smooth with an average of 30/40 FPS with the Evga gtx980, and more ore less 40/60 FPS on the RTX3060.

MT launch was a good improvement for the overall FPS, increasing around 5/10 FPS and everything was running good, till the last update 2.9.

It even run smooth during a couple of weeks after the release of 2.9, and then suddenly the chaos. I know this is super strange!!

I've tried almost everything, I'm not a good grantor about PC's, just basic knowledge and self learning when I need something.

But I'm sorry I don't know what else could I do with my micro stuttering. I've even thinking if what I have is micro stutter, the thing is that my self FPS counter on DCS is not stable anymore, is constantly jumping on between 30/40/50 every few seconds, making no more a straigh tline, but now a full of squares line. 

I've changed and tried several settings on both Nvidia control panel and on in game settings, without any success. I've got the micro stuttering on both stable, and open beta versions, on both MT and ST, I've even tried to downgrade my DCS to a older 2.8 versions, but the thing is that the stutters are still there, even on previous versions, never gone anymore.

I can assure you that up to the 2 weeks after the release of 2.9 I've played smooth, but no anymore now.

I'm maybe thinking about a possible hardware problem, but on other games runs normally and my temperatures are more than acceptable, never more than 55 ºC on both CPU and GPU (I have a good cooling system) Neither the loads looks like abnormal 100% for GPU and between 20 to 40% for the CPU.

What could I do? any ideas?

I've attached my dcs.log and dxdiag just in case could help ED to try to get as much information as possible and find a solution for all.

This is super frustrating. For me DCS is an escape route than could not use anymore for now.

Well, thanks for reading and any help or ideas will be appreciated. 

Thanks a lot and Regards!!

dcs.log 182.9 kB · 6 downloads DxDiag.txt 125.37 kB · 6 downloads

Hi there. Same thing here, and to me the problem started with the 2.9 update,so bad I had to revert to 2.8 and smooth again it goes!

I found this thread yesterday ( 

) and I updated to the last one and will try it right now. Can' tell if it works, but some people said it was the solution for them, so there I go.

If you don't know what the affinity is and how to change it (my case, I did a fast google and found variouse explanations) check this link ( https://winbuzzer.com/2020/07/03/how-to-set-cpu-affinity-in-windows-10-with-task-manager-or-system-properties-xcxwbt/).

Hope it works!

Saludos. 

Saca111

hace 15 minutos, Sacarino111 dijo:

Hi there. Same thing here, and to me the problem started with the 2.9 update,so bad I had to revert to 2.8 and smooth again it goes!

I found this thread yesterday ( 

) and I updated to the last one and will try it right now. Can' tell if it works, but some people said it was the solution for them, so there I go.

If you don't know what the affinity is and how to change it (my case, I did a fast google and found variouse explanations) check this link ( https://winbuzzer.com/2020/07/03/how-to-set-cpu-affinity-in-windows-10-with-task-manager-or-system-properties-xcxwbt/).

Hope it works!

Saludos. 

Saca111

Hi Sacarino, 

Thanks, unfortunately for my, reverting to a previous version has no changes, is like if the new version had made something on the hardware that don't like any more to DCS. That's why I'm also thinking about to have a hardware issue, but everything look normal (loads, temps, no problems anywhere at all, I don't know)

For me un-checking affinities of cores don't work, tried also.

@BIGNEWY one more question, do you think that having installed DCS stable on an NMVe SSD disk and DCS OpenBeta on another different NMVe SSD disk could have any relationship? 

I mean were do you suggest to make all this tests, and changes: on Stable, on OpenBeta, On ST, or on MT, on both of them? Because finally I'm getting crazy and couldn't even being able to remember what change or test I've made.

PC SPECS: 

• ED Team
1 hour ago, lovethewayoumove said:

@BIGNEWY one more question, do you think that having installed DCS stable on an NMVe SSD disk and DCS OpenBeta on another different NMVe SSD disk could have any relationship? 

I mean were do you suggest to make all this tests, and changes: on Stable, on OpenBeta, On ST, or on MT, on both of them? Because finally I'm getting crazy and couldn't even being able to remember what change or test I've made.

No, I was just wondering why you had more than one DCS process in the task manager

Ok, so I'm seriously thinking about to park my DCS for a time and see if ED can find a solution, I'm getting super tired and frustrated, and with no more ideas and things to test in order to be able to play comfortably.

Hundreds of euros invested for this!! very Nice.

• Like 3

PC SPECS: