DLSS "update"

Moxica

This may be old information, but I ran across a YT on the DLSS 3.6 update this week. It's for MSFS players and points out that you need to also update your Nvidia Driver - an update was release this week right before 3.6. Not sure how much of what is said is applicable to DCS, but the update of the Nvidia drive makes sense.

Edited by PacFlyer23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5

8 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

The best thing to eliminate ghosting is not to use DLSS at all.

This 😉 DLSS looks ok only if you’re already getting a high enough frame rate that you don’t need it. I can’t see how it makes any sense. DLAA actually looks good but again only at a high FPS

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

55 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

This 😉 DLSS looks ok only if you’re already getting a high enough frame rate that you don’t need it. I can’t see how it makes any sense. DLAA actually looks good but again only at a high FPS

Even though my frames are maxed out most of the time, turning on DLSS makes my graphics card run cooler with no ill effects so I run it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

MSAA is a big performance hog and the AA in VR is not very good. With a 4070 running VR I need to either use DLSS and maintain 72 fps or MSAA with 45 fps and reprojection (does not look great). 

DLSS works better with a higher res so I push my resolution to 1.3 and apply DLSS-quality. This gives me good frame rates and a similar quality to DLAA with less noticable ghosting. 

Quest Pro at native resolution is about 2700x2700 pixels. 

2700x1.3 = 3510x3510

4320x0.66 = 2317x2317

Overall that works out that DLSS should have 15% less workload than DLAA.  

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

So just tried this, making sure to use the latest Nvidia drivers and cleaning out the FXO and Metashaders folders first. Everything is buttery smooth, though that's a bit subjective cause I didn't do a real before and after comparison. Hitting a constant 120FPS with graphics absolutely maxed at 3440x1440, even on a loaded carrier deck with 4 hornets on the cats. I use the Save Kasbah mission https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308295/ as my benchmark. Not bad.

Edited by rfxcasey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rfxcasey said:

Even though my frames are maxed out most of the time, turning on DLSS makes my graphics card run cooler with no ill effects so I run it.

Not sure what temps you get but a GPU can run at about 80d C with no trouble. But yeah the reason DLSS looks good for you is you’re already getting a high frame rate. In DCS it’s hard for me to evaluate DLSS because I’m overkill on GPU. But in MSFS where that game will tax even my specs DLSS looks freakin awful! No thanks. It might be a ok way to boost from 80FPS to 120. But trying to use it to get from say 30 to 60 is pointless. Now the frame doubling feature (DCS does not have) can kinda look ok depending on the situation. I hate the idea of games being designed to be unplayable without resorting to DLSS. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

32 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Not sure what temps you get but a GPU can run at about 80d C with no trouble. But yeah the reason DLSS looks good for you is you’re already getting a high frame rate. In DCS it’s hard for me to evaluate DLSS because I’m overkill on GPU. But in MSFS where that game will tax even my specs DLSS looks freakin awful! No thanks. It might be a ok way to boost from 80FPS to 120. But trying to use it to get from say 30 to 60 is pointless. Now the frame doubling feature (DCS does not have) can kinda look ok depending on the situation. I hate the idea of games being designed to be unplayable without resorting to DLSS. 

I save about 6-7 deg Fahrenheit with it on. Since I'm usually flying for several hours I'll take any temp reduction I can get. 

5 minutes ago, rfxcasey said:

I save about 6-7 deg Fahrenheit with it on. Since I'm usually flying for several hours I'll take any temp reduction I can get. 

It keeps the room cooler😄once long ago I had two SLI cards blowing 180d air out of my case. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 2

image.jpeg

🙂 .............................FSR 1........................... 🙂 

Think I'll stick with MSAA 

Edit: Wags confirmed DCS is FSR 1.0

Edited by Droning_On
  • Like 3
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

On 3/23/2024 at 11:57 AM, PacFlyer23 said:

This may be old information, but I ran across a YT on the DLSS 3.6 update this week. It's for MSFS players and points out that you need to also update your Nvidia Driver - an update was release this week right before 3.6. Not sure how much of what is said is applicable to DCS, but the update of the Nvidia drive makes sense.

how does one use DSR in VR?  does it even apply to VR?

On 3/23/2024 at 4:57 PM, PacFlyer23 said:

DLSS "versions" are not game or driver dependent

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Has anyone compared "dlss vs normal" AA performance normalized for a comparable quality on an RTX 2070 tier system? I'll be frank. I don't feel like doing it myself. I set it like that (see the screenshot) and let it be.

EDIT:

Here's the missing screenshot and my specs.

Intel i3-12100F

RTX 2070 8GB MSI

64 GB RAM

Motherboard MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 (MS-7D43)

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2024.03.26 - 12.14.10.78.png

Edited by Bucic

8 hours ago, Bucic said:

Has anyone compared "dlss vs normal" AA performance normalized for a comparable quality on an RTX 2070 tier system? I'll be frank. I don't feel like doing it myself. I set it like that (see the screenshot) and let it be.

I have. I don't have the exact fps or anything but it's a big difference. I use VR. With DLSS I can run a steady 72 fps. With MSAA I need to run 45 fps and use reprojection. 

1 hour ago, Qcumber said:

I have. I don't have the exact fps or anything but it's a big difference. I use VR. With DLSS I can run a steady 72 fps. With MSAA I need to run 45 fps and use reprojection. 

Thanks. The unusual factor is I'm limiting FPS from ~120 to 60. And honestly I got a bigger improvement from the terrain engine update than from DLSS. Not in the form of FPS but smoothness. To put things into perspective my video recordings turn out smoother now than pure gameplay previously with no video recording.

Coming back to DLSS, the ghosting is really noticeable in 1440p.

18 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

DLSS "versions" are not game or driver dependent

there are drivers that take advantage of some features at a low level, and some of the DLSS functions are tied to the GPU Driver version.

you can't drop a DLSS DLL in a \bin\ folder and expect all the features to work when the GPU's driver doesn't even know what they are.

But don't believe me, drop a new DLSS dll in your bin folder and run the RTX40 Series launch driver from several years ago and tell me it's not causing problems.

nVidia themselves state minimum recommended driver for each DLSS version, they are independent libraries but they rely on specific driver level instructions as well.

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

6 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

there are drivers that take advantage of some features at a low level, and some of the DLSS functions are tied to the GPU Driver version.

you can't drop a DLSS DLL in a \bin\ folder and expect all the features to work when the GPU's driver doesn't even know what they are.

But don't believe me, drop a new DLSS dll in your bin folder and run the RTX40 Series launch driver from several years ago and tell me it's not causing problems.

nVidia themselves state minimum recommended driver for each DLSS version, they are independent libraries but they rely on specific driver level instructions as well.

Is there a page with that info? I run studio driver. They're not annual. I received 2 updates just this month.

My preferred setting is DLAA without DLSS.

MSAA causes too much shimmering using 2x, but 4x only helps a tiny bit with worse performance.

DLAA is more blurred looking at the distance, but I prefer this over shimmering with MSAA. I tell myself that it is haze, since IRL this also causes a kind of blurriness.

I have not tried DLSS with the new DLSS version, since I get good performance already with DLAA.

• Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

3 minutes ago, fjacobsen said:

My preferred setting is DLAA without DLSS.

MSAA causes too much shimmering using 2x, but 4x only helps a tiny bit with worse performance.

DLAA is more blurred looking at the distance, but I prefer this over shimmering with MSAA. I tell myself that it is haze, since IRL this also causes a kind of blurriness.

I have not tried DLSS with the new DLSS version, since I get good performance already with DLAA.

I prefer DLAA but sometimes have to use DLSS to boost performance. You don't notice the difference too much when you are dodging bullets. 

12 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Can you share wheres that info?

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I switched to DLAA yesterday, which causes some shimmering on moving objects (at the back of them), but its not that bad as in DLSS. I tired only on monitor, have to test it in VR today as well, specially regarding performance, in comparision to MSAA.

I have been through and done just about every combination of everything recommended on the forums and elsewhere to improve frame times and frame rate.

What I have found that works best (i5-12600KF, RTX-4070, 64GB DDR4, Pimax 8KX set to large FOV, 1.3 render quality) is turning everything off in NVIDIA control panel except CUDA, Low latency, and Vertical sync to fast.  DLAA, Antisotropic filtering 8x in DCS.  No ghosting, solid frame rates at 50 (which I limit in DCS) and great playability.

No OC on the GPU, my CPU is OC at 50 all cores, which is not as high as it can go (52P/41I), but going higher does nothing for VR and heats up the CPU too much for me. 

Done chasing the latest and greatest fad.  Most are too specific to a particular setup.

One fella's observations.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Mamakin said:

3.7.0 is out. I have just try it out in Kermal Campaing...still ghosting but it works.

Any difference to 3.6? 

While I definitely sympathize with those having ghosting issues, I'm more concerned with any performance gains. I haven't done anything other than anecdotal observations, curious to know if anyone else has found a performance difference between DLSS dynamic-link library versions?