Button to center the Mouse Pointer in the Center of the VR-Pilot View! Urgent!!!!!

Nedum

Dear ED-Team,

I am shocked, we still do not have any button to recenter the Cross/Mouse Pointer if we are in VR.

This should be a Step 1 for ED to please the VR-People.

I can not understand what kind of issue can hinder you to make this dream come true?

!!!!Every!!!!! VR-Gamer would pay for such a Button.

You (ED) said, you are proud of us, please show it with enabling a Button we can press to recenter the Mouse Pointer/Cross in the center of our view.

Show us how proud you are with doing such an easy task in the near time (please no 2 weeks ;)).

Thank you

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

12 minutes ago, Nedum said:

I understand that it might be a need for you... But I wouldn't pay for it, nor have an use for it... And, yes I'm an a VR player. Let's not get away with exaggerations and generalizations . I'm sure, they don't help your case. Cheers!

• Like 1

Visual quality in VR headsets must be really poor if you can’t see the mouse cursor simply by moving it. 
There is a setting to confine the cursor to the game window so you won’t lose it. I can’t imagine why anyone would turn that off though. Pressing another button just to find your mouse seems really clunky. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

17 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Visual quality in VR headsets must be really poor if you can’t see the mouse cursor simply by moving it. 
There is a setting to confine the cursor to the game window so you won’t lose it. I can’t imagine why anyone would turn that off though. Pressing another button just to find your mouse seems really clunky. 

You're not VR user. Please don't comment if you have no idea what you're talking about.

The button is indeed not needed. All it takes for the cursor is to either appear in the center next time it's used or at least visibile in the headset display area (cursor confined to mask).

• Like 5

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

You're not VR user. Please don't comment if you have no idea what you're talking about.

The button is indeed not needed. All it takes for the cursor is to either appear in the center next time it's used or at least visibile in the headset display area (cursor confined to mask).

Sure, it’s not necessarily a bad idea but a monitor user would never need a button to find their mouse cursor. I get it that visibility in a VR HMD is confined to this small sweet spot in the center hence you can’t see the cursor in the periphery. I’ve used VR headsets but not for gaming. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

20 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Sure, it’s not necessarily a bad idea but a monitor user would never need a button to find their mouse cursor.

Your point being?

We get it; you hate VR in DCS.. Good for you.. So please move along and stop adding pointless replies if you clearly don't have anything useful to say.

Back on topic:

I'm sure that by saying "everyone needs this" the OP must be sarcastically exaggerating. It's not like this is a huge big deal, but I must say, on those rare occasions when I'm not using Pointctrl (pretty much only when in mid mission and a Pointctrl battery goes flat), it does cost me a few valuable seconds to find my mouse pointer.

As said, not as big of a deal as the OP makes it to be, but I can imagine VR users that use a mouse, may be helped with a mouse recenter function.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

6 hours ago, draconus said:

Agree, those would be good alternatives to adding new button binding. Maybe with toggle in options, in case someone likes it as it is.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 5:15 AM, SharpeXB said:

Cursor isn't confined to the VR window. It could be way off in the corner of my desktop. 

There is a "confine cursor to window" setting, however that causes issues interacting with other software like Voice Attack/VAICOM, SRS, OBS, or anything else you might need to run and troubleshoot while flying.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

There is a "confine cursor to window" setting, however that causes issues interacting with other software like Voice Attack/VAICOM, SRS, OBS, or anything else you might need to run and troubleshoot while flying.

That’s really strange. Sounds like something else that needs to be fixed too. 

On 1/26/2024 at 7:34 PM, Nedum said:

Dear ED-Team,

I am shocked, we still do not have any button to recenter the Cross/Mouse Pointer if we are in VR.

This should be a Step 1 for ED to please the VR-People.

I can not understand what kind of issue can hinder you to make this dream come true?

You (ED) said, you are proud of us, please show it with enabling a Button we can press to recenter the Mouse Pointer/Cross in the center of our view.

Show us how proud you are with doing such an easy task in the near time (please no 2 weeks ;)).

Thank you

I agree with you that this would be a nice feature to have in DCS.

While you wait for it to be implemented I hope that you know though that you can achive this right now by using the software JoyToKey. It was a gamechanger for me when I found that out. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2024 at 4:59 PM, SharpeXB said:

Sure, it’s not necessarily a bad idea but a monitor user would never need a button to find their mouse cursor. I get it that visibility in a VR HMD is confined to this small sweet spot in the center hence you can’t see the cursor in the periphery. I’ve used VR headsets but not for gaming. 

It has nothing to do with the "sweet spot" - that has not been a thing since like Reverb G2 or such, current headsets are 100% clear all the way from edge to edge, thats not the problem. To get an idea go and touch your monitor with your nose and then move the mouse around when you are inside the cockpit, its tricky to find no matter how clear and hi-res your monitor is. The issue is that VR users have so much larger area to look for the mouse while on motor you are looking at a post stamp in comparison, ofcourse its easy to find because you can see your whole game thru a straw.

PointCtrl makes mouse sort of obsolete in dcs but yeah instead of a keybind i would prefer the cursor to auto center when you havent touched the mouse for a few seconds.

• Like 1

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

2 hours ago, Grodin said:

To get an idea go and touch your monitor with your nose and then move the mouse around when you are inside the cockpit, its tricky to find no matter how clear and hi-res your monitor is.

I’ve worn VR headsets and I’m surprised you could lose the mouse cursor. But I guess that’s possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

I’ve worn VR headsets and I’m surprised you could lose the mouse cursor. But I guess that’s possible. 

It's not much different from how you can lose the cursor in 2D. It shouldn't surprise you in the slightest.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

12 minutes ago, Tippis said:

It's not much different from how you can lose the cursor in 2D. It shouldn't surprise you in the slightest.

Your constant trolling of SharpeXB is becoming creepy. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Depends on the headset fov and what you are looking at with it. I only lose the cursor in DCS, not other games. White cursor against white clouds (comms window open) or yellow cursor against a sunset at the edge of your peripheral vision can be quite tricky to notice, atleast with high fov when you can't see the whole picture without moving your eyes.

Yes i know its easy to find the cursor when you move it around a lot, but thats not the point here.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

You can centre the mouse using JoyToKey. I have mapped this to a HOTAS button. You can also use other buttons to offset the centre point to aid head look for left and right consoles. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I do 8 shaped loops when I lose the mouse cursor.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:27 PM, draconus said:

All it takes for the cursor is to either appear in the center next time it's used or at least visibile in the headset display area (cursor confined to mask).

Yes, please.

Edited by average_pilot

51 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

You can centre the mouse using JoyToKey. I have mapped this to a HOTAS button. You can also use other buttons to offset the centre point to aid head look for left and right consoles. 

I tried to do it using Autohotkey but it is working strangely. The cursor is put at the middle of the screen but go back to the original position as soon as I move my head...As if DCS was not willing to take into account the new position ! Can you share your JoyToKey script ?

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

18 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

I tried to do it using Autohotkey but it is working strangely. The cursor is put at the middle of the screen but go back to the original position as soon as I move my head...As if DCS was not willing to take into account the new position ! Can you share your JoyToKey script ?

I'll see if I can export it and upload later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Thanks !

Let me know how you get on. I've been through a learning curve for my setup and it might not work for you! 

• Like 1