WoW!!!!

Keep in mind that your RC knowledge might not translate well to DCS; the Ka-50 has a smaller TWR than the RC's do, and it will fly with a corresponding difference. I think the way you'll fly it will be quite a bit different, so try not to be frustrated if you try things you do with your RCs and they don't work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Where'd ya get it?

I hope here :P

Then again, I know I'm gonna catch heat for this, but you guys really need to put out a demo considering the kind of sim this is. I can imagine a lot of people not bothering with it because they never heard of it or tried anything like it. I know for sure I probably wouldn't have gotten Falcon 4.0 if I hadn't tried the demo, and this was when I was a real young kid (pre-teen). Yes you read right, I started flying Falcon 4.0 when I was that young. If it hadn't been for the demo of that, along with my getting lucky and finding a used copy at electronics boutique for 10 bucks, I probably would have never got it, and in turn probably would have never gotten Black Shark, or gotten that into flight sims.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

Keep in mind that your RC knowledge might not translate well to DCS; the Ka-50 has a smaller TWR than the RC's do, and it will fly with a corresponding difference. I think the way you'll fly it will be quite a bit different, so try not to be frustrated if you try things you do with your RCs and they don't work.

At the risk of sounding thick, what is TWR?

so i see alot of questions and try to answer them to the best of my knowledge, laughing the whole time at what a simple fix it is, but not telling them to RTFM.

The thing is that manual contains answers to most simple and trivial questions and as you may have noticed already it is pretty large in page count. Simple and trivial questions have one awful property: they are repeatedly asked and asked again. If people are not pushed to read the manual, then someone will have to repeatedly quote information from almost all manual in subsequent answers for EVERY person who does not like reading the manual - after some time it will kill any desire to contribute to the forum. Also, there is some knowledge which you can't easily get from manual - all advanced stuff, which will never be talked about if everyone were busy answering questions which already have answers in manual.

So, the sequence:

1. Read the manual for trivial information;
  2. Search the forum for more advanced information;
  3. Ask in the forum if you can't find information by methods above;

• Like 1

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

I agree that some answers are neither helpful nor appreciating a newcomer in the sim-genre. IMHO a bad move, considering the niche market of this genre.

On the other hand, as stated above, there are a quazillion of questions that have already been answered on this board, so using the search helps a lot.

I presonally don't think that reading the entire manual is necessary and it is not helpful to get into flying fast. Infact reading through it is demotivational especially for newcomers for a number of reasons, one of which was discussed in another thread, so I won't bringt this topic up again.

My recommendation:

Acrobat Reader or equivalents have a sophisticated search-function, as well as this board. Simply check them out if you get stuck while playing. You can ALT-TAB out of most missions (as long as there are no ships in the mission) or play in windowed mode right away.

Another hint is to watch the Producers Notes listed on the main page. Wags gives you detailed information on most systems and helps you to get off the ground soon, as well as important hints and tricks how to make the first kills.

Alternatively, if you can play online, just join in any server you find. The online-crowd is usually extremely helpful and you can get questions answered very quickly via ingame chat and test the tips and hints right away.

Welcome to your new adiction. ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

. That's what a community is for.

Everybody in here started with little knowledge in the beginning, let us not forget this! So fire your questions at us :D

Kinda afraid to now, i will just play and learn, thanks anyway! Yall can have to forum for bashing newbies when they come in and ask 'stupid repetitive questions' that seem to bother everybody, like a bunch of vultures waiting on the next roadkill to come along. Great game, too bad the forum isnt as good. Kinda makes me wish i had kept my 50 dollars and hacked the damn thing.

RTFM 1 page at a time.

It's all about the attitude.

While I agree the response from our side might have been a little blunt, to say the least, I also think the attitude you're putting up now, Rjennings, is not the way to go either.

If there's a dispute, talk about it like the adults we are. I can understand you felt attacked, but more than a few have offered here to just continue asking question and yet you come across now as a little child shouting the whole forum is bad and you've had enough. That will not get you any sympathy and will destroy any you had easily from others.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Well to be honest, i can take a little bashing about reading the manual etc, what really "pissed me off" was the fact that a moderator chimes in and makes it sould like i have a pirated copy of the game, moderators of forums have the responsibility of making everyone feel welcome and answering even the dumb newbie questions, whether they are asked once, or a dozen times, it doesnt matter, thats what a community forum is for.

RTFM 1 page at a time.

Well self-reflection is a virtue as well sometimes. ;) You did say '(...) downloaded off the internet (...)' which triggered my 'piracy alert chromosome' as well, to be honest! ;)

If you would have said: "I bought the sim off the website" I don't think he would have come onto you that hard. It's all in the words. Especially on media like forums where you can't look someone in the eye and see his/her expression. You can only judge from text here and that might make things come across other than intended sometimes (that goes in your defense as well, of course).

Anyway, bury the tomahawk and go on your merry way asking questions and having fun with the excellent sim! That's what its all about in the end isn't it? You in front of your PC having fun with the sim, is it not? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Well to be honest, i can take a little bashing about reading the manual etc, what really "pissed me off" was the fact that a moderator chimes in and makes it sould like i have a pirated copy of the game.

To be precise, he just asked you to be more specific about where have you downloaded your game. ;) You have overreacted.

Moderators of forums have the responsibility of making everyone feel welcome and answering even the dumb newbie questions, whether they are asked once, or a dozen times, it doesnt matter, thats what a community forum is for.

No, responsibility of moderators is to enforce forum rules. No one here have responsibility to answer nor dumb, nor smart questions. People, who help others here do this because of good heart. Read the forum before saying it is bad. This community many times has showed much more eager to solve problems than some people who asked for help. If not this community some people already would have dropped interest in DCS.

Edited by ZaltysZ

The really interesting thing is that people always assume the worst. Why do you even have a piracy alet chromosome? That kind of attidute is like a police officer searching anyone who, for example said the word marijuana.

Also about newbies, I personally had a lot of them come to me to get instructions on how to play. With a couple of them I spent about an hour online just to get them to fire a Vikhr at a target, all of them read the manual and the quick start guides, but they still needed help. So even RTFM isn't always helpfull.

And when it comes to attitude and politness RTFM is not a polite phrase now is it? Instead of RTFM you could have looked through the manual and said: "Read the page XXX in the manual, hope it helps." or "The info you seek is on page XXX in the manual." If you don't like looking thorugh the manual and have nothing helpfull (or polite) to say, then don't reply.

• Like 1

The really interesting thing is that people always assume the worst. Why do you even have a piracy alet chromosome? That kind of attidute is like a police officer searching anyone who, for example said the word marijuana.

You clearly missed the irony in me reply. ;)

I totally agree that RTFM isn't going to win the prize for 'Warmest greeting to a new community member 2009".

The point was that is comes from two sides.

Edited by Yskonyn

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...all of them read the manual and the quick start guides, but they still needed help. So even RTFM isn't always helpfull

Yes, it is pretty common and acceptable. If person tries hard and read the manual, but still he can't understand (something or everything), then plea for help should be granted. However, if person rushes with questions without even trying to find answers in manual and shows that he doesn't even want to search answers by himself, then ... well, help is denied. It is something like curing patient, which does not want to be cured. This is my view of this problem. Someone may think in the same way or in different one - everyone has the right to have own views.

I didn't read the manual yet (waiting for the printed version) but I'm getting by very well, even though I haven't asked a single question here. The video notes help a LOT. Check the download section of the main page. Also searching for a certain topic on the forums is very insightful. I have yet to encounter a problem that wasn't discussed already.

Why do you have to turn of your engine to refuel and rearm ?

Because in times of war most helicopters (at least the Ah-64 as far as I know) are refuleled and rearmed without turning there engine of. It's very dangerous but it saves a lot of time!!!:pilotfly:

Why do you have to turn of your engine to refuel and rearm ?

You Don't.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

That what said ZaltysZ is true, I agree. Many things are in manual or were asked on forum before.

You may want to open up a "new pilot" forum or something like that.

I sing with this. That would be good for folks who just begun game experience with, and forum would be more sortied.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Wow,, cant believe how bumpy this thread got. Heres my take, I got this sim back in Dec. I spent a lot of time going thru the producers notes, ingame tutorial, and searching for topics that I had questions on and referencing them in the manual. If I could not find the answer and the question was not yet asked (by using the search option), it was only then that I would start a new thread. Why,, because its flat out rude to just jump in and not put any effort into it before hand and expect everyone that has put the time into just respond to questions like, how do I start this thing? Come on guys, is it not common courtesy? This is a very comprehensive sim, if you admit to not having time to learn it, how would you expect people who have to put time in to learn it to respond? I am about 30 % combat ready, I have a family, job, house, kids etc,,, when I have time, I learn,,,, otherwise, I would play pac man if I didn’t want to comit to it.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Ummm.... I'm tellin! You said marijuana.