Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

47 minutes ago, Flyingfish said:

I have V63 in both the headset and the desktop app and it was working fine. I then upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11 and it stopped working so I reverted back to windows 10 and it works again. Might be useful to anyone who is on windows 11 but can't get DCS to work with V63, hopefully not too long to go till the update though 

I run W11 and v63 and 64 work OK for me. At this stage we have no idea why some people are affected and others aren't. Only 4 days to wait. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

On 4/5/2024 at 2:52 PM, slughead said:

For complete wireless, you may be able to get a battery pack that mounts on the headset or put it on your belt.

Stayed charged at 100% the entire time had it plugged into wall, res set to ultra, brightness 100% max, spent 4 hours in and didn't drop down at all.

Why are we still dealing with this a month later? Why hasn't this been fixed yet?

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Hi guys!

I ran in to this DCS crash in VR problem yesterday after I build up a new PC to a friend. We tried almost everything but no solution,than I started digging up information from reddit and find this topic. We both have Quest 2 so I tried it at home but I didn't let the app and headset to upgrade since I didn't use the Quest 2 for half a year so the app and the firmware was old. DCS started up like it should so no problem.Than I updated the headset and the app and the problem showed up instantly. The strange thing in the whole story that my friend and I have windows 11 too. We tried the headset with the updated app and firmware on my friends old gaming pc which have windows 10 on it and DCS was run flawlesly.I know the problem is related to some changes that Meta issued and I didn't read all of the comments but is that possible that this problem only occurs on windows 11? 

2 hours ago, j0nx said:

Why are we still dealing with this a month later? Why hasn't this been fixed yet?

It's been fixed for a while, but they have been testing to make sure that the fix for this doesn't break other things.  It was supposed to come out last week but last minute issues (likely unrelated to this fix) had to be fixed.

And, while I don't understand all the details, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that this wasn't just a fix that required changing a "1" to a "2" somewhere in the code so not a simple hotfix option.

Edited by rob10

2 hours ago, Coros said:

Hi guys!

I ran in to this DCS crash in VR problem yesterday after I build up a new PC to a friend. We tried almost everything but no solution,than I started digging up information from reddit and find this topic. We both have Quest 2 so I tried it at home but I didn't let the app and headset to upgrade since I didn't use the Quest 2 for half a year so the app and the firmware was old. DCS started up like it should so no problem.Than I updated the headset and the app and the problem showed up instantly. The strange thing in the whole story that my friend and I have windows 11 too. We tried the headset with the updated app and firmware on my friends old gaming pc which have windows 10 on it and DCS was run flawlesly.I know the problem is related to some changes that Meta issued and I didn't read all of the comments but is that possible that this problem only occurs on windows 11? 

Nothing to do with your system. the update that meta pushed out broke DCS for VR.
There for the time being are 3 known workarounds.
on page 16 you can find a work around, and roll back to V63 if your on V64, just turn off PTC and turn off all automatic updates, restart the software & headset and it should roll back to V63, Follow the instructions exactly on the work around. Folders have to be copied over not moved out and replaced.
2nd option is to run the exe through steamVR.
Just go to your librabry, add non-steam game and select either the multi-threateded exe or the single thread exe. Make sure you have use VR selected and that steam is your openXR runtime enviorment. Than just launch SteamVR through the quest link.
3rd option and honestly well worth it IMO is to just use Virtual Desktop. It's $20 on Oculus store, but well worth it. If you have at least a 5G router preferably with wifi6
I've used all 3 options, the work around works pretty good in the Oculus link, SteamVR is not the best option as it requires finer tunning in terms of graphics and Virtual Desktop. 
Which is what I'm using from now on. I just have my headset connected wirelessly and use the Oculus charger with a 10ft 10Gig USB-C cable connected to the headset and it keeps it charged 100% at all times while in game.
Played 4 hours yesterday and it didn't drop at all.
Graphics are much better in Virtual Desktop as well and overall runs much smoother and doesn't require the use of Oculus link. Unless it's specifically required, I don't think I will ever use the Oculus link at all anymore.

The ETA for the patch is the 10th of this month.
Would of been released sooner but they found additional things that needed to be fixed with the main patch regarding the F16 INS and something else.
This is what people don't understand when it comes to coding that you can't just rush something or change one little line of code and expect everything to just work.

here is a fix for DCS not running at all if you just want to play it in standard 2D and use a webcam with opentrack + aitrack. No LED or anything special required as aitrack is facial tracking software that works extremely well.
1. Download Notepad++ if you don't have it already.
2. Delete any DCS shortcuts you have on the desktop as these won't work now.
3. Go to your saved games folder: C:/Users/*Your username*/Saved Games/DCS/Config
4. Find the file called Options.lua or just Options if you don't have file extensions on.
5. Open that with Notepad++
6. Once in do a search (Ctrl + F) for VR
7. look for the option tagged "Enable" It should say true you want to change it to false by typing in false.
8. go to file and save.
9. Create new desktop shortcuts from your main DCS directory if using MT it will be C:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe
For ST it will be C:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe or whatever corresponding drive you installed the game to. C is just the default.
Game will now launch without VR and go to standard 2D.
Do not change the VR back on once you're in the game.
If you want to re-enable VR, just do the exact same thing with the options and change it back to true if you want to try the oculus/steam/VD fix.
Though obviously this option would be for if none of those worked.
the only other way would be to just delete the DCS folder in the saved games, along with the desktop shortcuts This would require you to re-set everything up, controls, graphics, etc... upon relaunching the game from the main install folder.

Edited by Shibiswag
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shibiswag said:

here is a fix for DCS not running at all if you just want to play it in standard 2D and use a webcam with opentrack + aitrack. No LED or anything special required as aitrack is facial tracking software that works extremely well.
1. Download Notepad++ if you don't have it already.
2. Delete any DCS shortcuts you have on the desktop as these won't work now.
3. Go to your saved games folder: C:/Users/*Your username*/Saved Games/DCS/Config
4. Find the file called Options.lua or just Options if you don't have file extensions on.
5. Open that with Notepad++
6. Once in do a search (Ctrl + F) for VR
7. look for the option tagged "Enable" It should say true you want to change it to false by typing in false.
8. go to file and save.
9. Create new desktop shortcuts from your main DCS directory if using MT it will be C:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe
For ST it will be C:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe or whatever corresponding drive you installed the game to. C is just the default.
Game will now launch without VR and go to standard 2D.
Do not change the VR back on once you're in the game.
If you want to re-enable VR, just do the exact same thing with the options and change it back to true if you want to try the oculus/steam/VD fix.
Though obviously this option would be for if none of those worked.
the only other way would be to just delete the DCS folder in the saved games, along with the desktop shortcuts This would require you to re-set everything up, controls, graphics, etc... upon relaunching the game from the main install folder.

All this can be simply done running dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

2 hours ago, Shibiswag said:

Go look up how to code and that will answer your question.

No, coders have done their job weeks ago. It's managers who decide when to release a patch.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX4070S   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

All this can be simply done running dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

No, coders have done their job weeks ago. It's managers who decide when to release a patch.

No sir you are wrong.
There was an issue with the F16 INS feature as well as another issue, that they are still currently working on.
So no the coders have not "Done their jobs weeks ago" as you claim because they are still actively working on it.
So you're presumption that "management" is delaying the patch just because is incorrect.
also I'm not sure for others but the --force_disable_VR command never worked for me. If it works for him than cool.

6 hours ago, Shibiswag said:

No sir you are wrong.
There was an issue with the F16 INS feature as well as another issue, that they are still currently working on.
So no the coders have not "Done their jobs weeks ago" as you claim because they are still actively working on it.
So you're presumption that "management" is delaying the patch just because is incorrect.
also I'm not sure for others but the --force_disable_VR command never worked for me. If it works for him than cool.

We're in VR bugs section and this problem was solved weeks ago in development version. No relation to F-16 or other modules. So, yes, it's management decision the patch is not out yet. I won't comment on if it's a good decision or not but your reply "Go look up how to code and that will answer your question" to a user asking about the patch is completely missed.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX4070S   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

No sir you are wrong.

What's this thread got to do with the F-16 INS?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpiffnZ said:

Is the patch still on course fro release on the 10th?

That's the plan.

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

i really hope so, not only does steam vr for the Q3 perform worse, it has this weird blur around the centre, almost like a fixed favoeated render, which isnt present on airlink or via link cable. plus steam vr maxes out at 350mbs transfer, i can get my link cable up to 960mbs with no risk of interruption unless the cable gets pulled out

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

11 hours ago, draconus said:

We're in VR bugs section and this problem was solved weeks ago in development version. No relation to F-16 or other modules. So, yes, it's management decision the patch is not out yet. I won't comment on if it's a good decision or not but your reply "Go look up how to code and that will answer your question" to a user asking about the patch is completely missed.

I'm stating the reason as to why the patch hasn't been released.
That you are incorrect in that it's "management" When BIGNEWBY has already stated that they are releasing the fix for oculus with the primary update and stating the reason why it has been delayed as opposed to your assumption that the devs have everything done and are just sitting on it rather than releasing it.
They've already stated that they are not releasing a hotfix because it's part of the primary patch.
Which has been stated multiple times. So I don't understand the reason why people keep asking why it hasn't been released.
They need to make sure everything works.
Don't understand why that's so hard to understand.
What if they release the fix? Like a hotfix, than the patch comes out and that hotfix breaks something else in the primary patch code, in turn breaking the game.
Then guess what you have to wait all over again for a hotfix for that hotfix, then everyone will be back on here complaining again and crying "Oh they should of make sure it worked with everything before releasing it"
It's common sense.
To the point of my statement to go look up how to code,
I feel it's right on the point because i was being serious. If people want to know why it takes so long when they don't have any idea on the process as to how hard it is, even to do a simple "Patch" than they should go look up how to code to see how hard of a task that is to get a better understanding as to why it takes so long, therefor answering their question.
I'm sorry that it seems you are taking everything I say completely out of context.
Also, I know most of us always seem to just jump to the very last page when it comes to these things, myself included sometimes, however it would be on their best interest to be more diligent and at the very least go back about 5 pages or so because the answer has already been stated multiple times, as well as 3 known working workarounds.

11 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

What's this thread got to do with the F-16 INS?

Because they are releasing the fix for Oculus with the primary patch.
I'm stating the reason for the delay as previously stated on this thread.
Everyone seems to think that the devs are just sitting on it not doing anything and are just twiddiling their thumbs delaying the release for no reason.
The F16 INS as well as another reason is why the patch was delayed that fixes the VR bug.
I'm not stating this thread has anything to do with the F16 INS.
I'm stating the reason for the delay.

Edited by Shibiswag

Everyone seems to think that the devs are just sitting on it not doing anything and are just twiddiling their thumbs delaying the release for no reason.
The F16 INS as well as another reason is why the patch was delayed that fixes the VR bug.
I see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, draconus said:

Oh, I went to w3school and didn't find an answer for no hotfix. The dark side clouds everything, impossible to see the future is. What was the reason for the delay again? And who's Bignewby?

Meant Bignewy. I'm going to be the bigger adult and not respond to your childish comments.
If you really don't know the reason, I suggest you go back and read the a few pages back where BIGNEWY states several times what the reason for the delay is as myself have stated as well.

End of discussion.
Have a good day.

Edited by Shibiswag
  • Like 2

hace 17 horas, Shibiswag dijo:

I'm stating the reason as to why the patch hasn't been released.
That you are incorrect in that it's "management" When BIGNEWBY has already stated that they are releasing the fix for oculus with the primary update and stating the reason why it has been delayed as opposed to your assumption that the devs have everything done and are just sitting on it rather than releasing it.
They've already stated that they are not releasing a hotfix because it's part of the primary patch.
Which has been stated multiple times. So I don't understand the reason why people keep asking why it hasn't been released.
They need to make sure everything works.
Don't understand why that's so hard to understand.
What if they release the fix? Like a hotfix, than the patch comes out and that hotfix breaks something else in the primary patch code, in turn breaking the game.
Then guess what you have to wait all over again for a hotfix for that hotfix, then everyone will be back on here complaining again and crying "Oh they should of make sure it worked with everything before releasing it"
It's common sense.
To the point of my statement to go look up how to code,
I feel it's right on the point because i was being serious. If people want to know why it takes so long when they don't have any idea on the process as to how hard it is, even to do a simple "Patch" than they should go look up how to code to see how hard of a task that is to get a better understanding as to why it takes so long, therefor answering their question.
I'm sorry that it seems you are taking everything I say completely out of context.
Also, I know most of us always seem to just jump to the very last page when it comes to these things, myself included sometimes, however it would be on their best interest to be more diligent and at the very least go back about 5 pages or so because the answer has already been stated multiple times, as well as 3 known working workarounds.

I'll give an example.

-Sales terminal in a store (POS), after updating the graphics card driver the monitor is not visible.

-The software company has an update to adapt its software to the new driver, but it is updating the way the balance is calculated at the end of the day and that is taking a little more time.

-They tell the client not to worry, that when they finish updating the balance calculation they will also update the screen.

Result=The customer CANNOT use their POS until it is updated, when they could be using it in the meantime as before the driver update.

• Like 1

• ED Team

Folks keep it civil. 

We know waiting for the patch has been a huge inconvenience, but as stated it was not possible to hot fix during the wait. 

Planned patch is for the 10th with the Meta fix, I will be glad to see it as I know using work arounds is a real pain. 

Once the fix is out I will merged the threads about meta V63 crash and tidy up the native oculus post.

thank you  

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

I received an Oculus Meta update notice this morning.  I have DCS up and running again through SteamVR (after a ton to tries and lots of help from patient members!)  so I am hesitant to run the update.  happy to hear anyone's thoughts.

Cheers all

29 minutes ago, majorandme said:

so I am hesitant to run the update.  happy to hear anyone's thoughts.

Don't update if it works now. Better yet block it. Who knows what else they break.

• Like 2

@BIGNEWY the patch was supposed to be released a few days ago.  Then we get told it will be the 10th.   Should we realistically  expect further delay? 

I think the lack of “hotfix” option is very frustrating.  How many times an ED update “broke” something that required a hotfix, I cannot remember.   Bad decision IMHO from a customer service perspective.

i look forward to the next punter to post some sort of reply along the lines of “do you even code, bro?.” - joining my ignore list along with #shwitsbag or whatever their name is/was.

Very unhappy at ED for having a fix, but not hotfixing.  

Edited by flybull
  • Like 1

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, flybull said:

@BIGNEWY the patch was supposed to be released a few days ago.  Then we get told it will be the 10th.   Should we realistically  expect further delay? 

I think the lack of “hotfix” option is very frustrating.  How many times an ED update “broke” something that required a hotfix, I cannot remember.   Bad decision IMHO from a customer service perspective  

i look forward to the next punter to post some sort of reply along the lines of “do you even code.” - joining my ignore list. 

Very unhappy at ED for having a fix, but not hotfixing.  

The planned update was the 3rd of April, it had to be delayed and is now planned for the 10th. 

Appreciate you and many others are unhappy about not getting a hot fix, but as I have mentioned many times on this occasion and patch cycle it was not possible. 

The meta update created the problem, and then left us in a difficult spot, I have tried to keep you all updated on the situation, we have posted various work arounds that many are currently using, but also understand that not everyone likes using work arounds. 

All we can do now is wait for the patch and the fix. 

thank you 

• Like 4

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

@BIGNEWYappreciate the reply.   Agree that you have kept the community informed.  Understand that you are only the messenger also. You are a conduit between ED and the community, and vice versa.  I hope you relay to the powers what community sentiment is on various topics.

Moving forward, perhaps the “no hotfix”/  fixed patch cycle policy should be reconsidered.  ED already are not sticking to a schedule as evidenced by the delay in this update.

Recognise that this problem (caused by Meta) rendered DCS totally unusable for a number of users, for weeks.  ED could have fixed it.  ED SHOULD have fixed it last week!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, flybull said:

@BIGNEWYappreciate the reply.   Agree that you have kept the community informed.  Understand that you are only the messenger also. You are a conduit between ED and the community, and vice versa.  I hope you relay to the powers what community sentiment is on various topics.

Moving forward, perhaps the “no hotfix”/  fixed patch cycle policy should be reconsidered.  ED already are not sticking to a schedule as evidenced by the delay in this update.

Recognise that this problem (caused by Meta) rendered DCS totally unusable for a number of users, for weeks.  ED could have fixed it.  ED SHOULD have fixed it last week!

I'm happy to feedback to the team, but for clarity, we are not saying we can not hot fix in the future for issues, it was just unfortunate on this occasion it was not possible. 

thanks

• Like 3