DCS ST - Weird prop position behavior

jackd

I just got a new GPU, Gigabyte Aorus 4080 Super Gaming OC.

The game runs fine, but i tested a p51 (bought version), using the F2 key for a side view noticed a weird prop display position behavior.

It' position moves forwards and backwards along the first part of the engine compartment, pulsating about 6 times per second.

This was not with my old Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 ti card .... so it might be some settings issue.

MSAA on or of makes no difference, and i like it off since the prop haze is less.

- DCS p51 prop position 1.jpg

I am not handy to record a video of it, dunno how, got no experience installed (had problems with it in the past)..

Settings:

- DCS Settings 4080 Super.jpg

Edited by jackd

• jackd changed the title to New GPU and weird prop position behavior.

what is ST? MT? something to do with my 4080 super RTX? Guess nothing to do with sounds ..

Only i have sounds switched off as i use a steinberg UC22, all worked Ok with my old 3080ti RTX card.

Edited by jackd

13 minutes ago, jackd said:

what is ST? MT? something to do with my 4080 super RTX? Guess nothing to do with sounds ..

Only i have sounds switched off as i use a steinberg UC22, all worked Ok with my old 3080ti RTX card.

Single / multi threaded for your CPU. It affects how DCS uses the cores available in your processor (rather than your graphics card).

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Just updated DCS. Prop error is still there with DCS.exe normal version, but the DCS.exe from the bin-mt folder no longer works:

Stuttering game play, and a white flickering border around the game window. Must be with some NVIDIA RTX 4080 Super settings issue.

Tips welcome! and thanks for looking.

ADDED: NVIDIA control panel settings ............. just found it right here at the downloads: thanks Sn8ke Pizzkin.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3333850/

DRAWBACK ... DCS.EXE from the bin-mt folder takes twice the tim to start that the normal one ............ FIX BADLY NEEDED !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jackd

• jackd changed the title to New GPU and weird prop position behavior. NOT SOLVED with the update.
3 hours ago, jackd said:

DRAWBACK ... DCS.EXE from the bin-mt folder takes twice the tim to start that the normal one

this fix will not help the prop issue but perhaps the long load time. ensure you have added exceptions to DCS folders in your security software.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• Flappie changed the title to DCS ST - Weird prop position behavior
Posted (edited)

Thanks, alas on my system Avast Premium is controlling these. PS i can't really see different security behavior regarding security between the two DCS.exe versions.

I have a strong feeling my 4080 super RTX's settings in control panel have to do with it ... Just installed the latest NVIDIA drivers, but the pulsating prop is still there.

A friend has a 'normal' 4080 GPU, but he does not have this pulsating prop at all.

Edited by jackd

Prop thingy is strictly DCS ST related, so no amount of driver tinkering will help in this case. One just has to play in MT mode to solve it for now and that's that. 

I would, however, investigate that game startup time issue now, 'cause ST will be discontinued sooner rather than later and we'll all be left with MT for better or worse. Search around "performance bugs" section for hints, tips and tricks. Game and mission loading times should not be all THAT different compared to ST mode.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Art. Funny is though the prop thing with the 'normal' DCS.exe is NOT with an RTX 4080 (non Super) and my former 3080ti.

I have windows 10 64x LTSC and 64GB of DDR5, just installed the latest GPU drivers.  I'll give windows 11 pro a try soon; just bought a license.

BTW the bin-mt DCS.exe is staggering at times, but not always on my win 10 system.. The game window is surrounded by a white flickering thin line at startup.

Makes me still think it's a specific adjustable NVIDIA RTX control panel thing. 

ADDED ... just tested DCS with Windows 11 pro. SAME BEHAVIOR, only it seems that the bin-mt DCS exe runs OK, but takes twice the time to start also.

Edited by jackd

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Flappie said:

This was fixed with today's update.

Don't forget DCS ST will be removed at some point.

THANK YOU!!!

But PLEASE don't remove it until MT performs at least as well as ST does on all hardware.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:40 PM, Flappie said:

That's not up to me to decide, I'm not from ED. 😁

I guess you're talking about the parking core issue?

Whatever's causing the "microstutters" that make the MT version unplayable for me and many others on a wide range of hardware, old and new, cheap and expensive.