Intermittent consistent stutter

Any one experience this in VR? I'm using multithread, 13900k, 4090, windows 10 and a pimax Crystal. Everything will be running fine, frame rate well below what is required for 72hz then all of a sudden I will get a bout of nonstop stuttering and it will last for 20-30 seconds then go away for a while and repeat. I have tried slow repair, drivers , uninstalling and reinstalling all Pimax software, lowering settings, windows repair, checked for driver updates and so on. Nothing has changed it so far. It will even do it in menu or lobby. Here is a video example of what is going on, you can see it in the graph.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts....lol

• Thanks 1

Hey SWAR1,

maybe "Hotplug" causes this trouble?
You may try to disable it and see if it helps.

Also, check that your windows swap file is big enough.

Just two out of one million tricks ... 🙂

image.png

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Erm, its the Windows "pagefile". You can reach the controls for that in the Windows Control Panel > Advanced System Settings, ...

image.png

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

ok got ya, yea my page file I have tried changing to all different sizes. No help. This stutter just comes and goes whenever it wants. I have tried taking off my OC, changing saved games file, repairs, turning setting up/down/hotplug/appdata/....searched the forums and tried everything I could find on here. I did a windows repair, refresh..

4 hours ago, SWAR1 said:

ok got ya, yea my page file I have tried changing to all different sizes. No help. This stutter just comes and goes whenever it wants. I have tried taking off my OC, changing saved games file, repairs, turning setting up/down/hotplug/appdata/....searched the forums and tried everything I could find on here. I did a windows repair, refresh..

I have some "periodical" stutters that appears and disappears like your video. However, its not so noticeable, it is very faint, but makes some hicups during flight (quest 3, 7800x3d, 4090, ssd 990pro, 64 gb...). Appears and disappears with no visible cause... I think its the software.

To bump this thread and to raise awareness to that it might be related to the LOD switching which might have been changed from 2.8 to 2.9

Have a look at the thread I created right after 2.9 was released.

My latest test was to revert to 2.8 where performance was good. Correct me if I am wrong but if a simple revert to 2.8 gets rid of the stutters, then it's not a faulty driver or Hardware or anything else that suddenly caused the stutters. It's DCS 2.9 only which causes the stutters.

I am really sick of comments making me look for the cause on my end. Also comments like it's running fine on a 2d monitor. I am pretty sure it's there too. But people don't notice as 2D stutters are not as obvious.

Edited by darkman222

• ED Team
Just now, darkman222 said:

To bump this thread and to raise awareness to that it might be related to the LOD switching might have been changed from 2.8 to 2.9

Have a look at the thread I created right after 2.9 was released.

My latest test was to revert to 2.8 where performance was good. Correct me if I am wrong but if a simple revert to 2.8 gets rid of the stutters, then it's not a faulty driver or Hardware or anything else that suddenly caused the stutters. It's DCS 2.9 only which causes the stutters.

I am really sick of comments making me look for the cause on my end. Also comments like it's running fine on a 2d monitor. I am pretty sure it's there too. But people don't notice as 2D stutters are not as obvious.

Please try to understand that not all issues are the same, and everyone's machines are different. Please keep the bug reports for data and use your own thread for the issue you are seeing, I have asked others to check it also as I can not reproduce. Lets not derail other peoples threads. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:46 PM, SWAR1 said:

Any one experience this in VR? I'm using multithread, 13900k, 4090, windows 10 and a pimax Crystal. Everything will be running fine, frame rate well below what is required for 72hz then all of a sudden I will get a bout of nonstop stuttering and it will last for 20-30 seconds then go away for a while and repeat. I have tried slow repair, drivers , uninstalling and reinstalling all Pimax software, lowering settings, windows repair, checked for driver updates and so on. Nothing has changed it so far. It will even do it in menu or lobby. Here is a video example of what is going on, you can see it in the graph.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts....lol

Please include a track replay, your dcs log from the session and your dxdiag, we can look for clues to try and assist you 

thank you 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, How many NI flights were in this server? I see you use tacview that could be the cause here?? also do  you use motion reprojection?

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

tacview is usually off, no motion reprojection. it happened right at the end

it is so random but goes on for 20-30 seconds you can see in the video it is a very consistent equal wave 

I see something similar.

Even when the game is paused, it looks like:

DCS stutters 13.04.2024 1b.jpgDCS stutters 13.04.2024 2b.jpgDCS stutters 13.04.2024 3b.jpg

Although I don't see a FPS drop in the FPS-display above, the game is not smooth anymore, especially when looking left or right to the side of the cockpit.

Everything is butter smooth again after those saw tooth like frame time pattern. It is actually also butter smooth when the frame time (green line) is constantly higher (as high as the max. amplitude of this saw tooth pattern).

VR, MT, RTX 4090, i7 8700, 32GB RAM, 32 GB page file, Reverb G2, Win10, DLAA (no DLSS), no mods, no trackIR, no tacview, no overclocking.

Edit: this was with the default "Freeflight Caucasus" mission with the F/A-18C. So single player, no AI units. But it happens also on other maps, like NTTR.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

What are your PC power settings on? Had similar issues (albeit non-VR) which was fixed when I upped my power plan to either high or ultimate. Balanced or power saver didn't cut it. When I monitored my FPS in the balanced mode it would be stable then every 6 seconds or so would spike (downwards) causing a stutter. Long shot but might assist.

So right click and select display settings, left hand choices select power and sleep. Select additional power settings, then high performance or ultimate from the choices given.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:29 AM, Gryzor said:

I have some "periodical" stutters that appears and disappears like your video. However, its not so noticeable, it is very faint, but makes some hicups during flight (quest 3, 7800x3d, 4090, ssd 990pro, 64 gb...). Appears and disappears with no visible cause... I think its the software.

Are you using Oculus Link or VD or something else? If Oculus Link, if you have changed the sharpening setting in the ODT to quality this can cause stuttering. Change it back to normal.

1 hour ago, Leg2ion said:

What are your PC power settings on? Had similar issues (albeit non-VR) which was fixed when I upped my power plan to either high or ultimate. Balanced or power saver didn't cut it. When I monitored my FPS in the balanced mode it would be stable then every 6 seconds or so would spike (downwards) causing a stutter. Long shot but might assist.

So right click and select display settings, left hand choices select power and sleep. Select additional power settings, then high performance or ultimate from the choices given.

mine are on high performance, I have no "ultimate".

edit: wait, since my Windows and me are German, I have "Höchstleistung" which is transleted to "Maximum power". Ist this ultimate?

Edited by Tom Kazansky

2 hours ago, slughead said:

Are you using Oculus Link or VD or something else? If Oculus Link, if you have changed the sharpening setting in the ODT to quality this can cause stuttering. Change it back to normal.

I am using a pimax crystal.

3 hours ago, Leg2ion said:

I have my settings on bitsum.

2 hours ago, SWAR1 said:

5 hours ago, slughead said:

I am using a pimax crystal.

I was replying to gryzor.

Edited by slughead

2 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

mine are on high performance, I have no "ultimate".

edit: wait, since my Windows and me are German, I have "Höchstleistung" which is transleted to "Maximum power". Ist this ultimate?

Unfortunately I didn't see any difference between high to ultimate, just moving from balanced/power saving to either of them fixed my issues. Like I said - long shot but worth a go - can but try it and see if it helps. Another 'trick' may be to exclude DCS from any antivirus you are running.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.