JASDF thread

Kusch

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I never thought of a Maverick being an anti-submarine weapon. I wonder how it it's launched...visually, or through radar? I didn't even know the JASDF even had Maverick's in their inventory. I picked up an F-2 edition of "Military Aircraft of JASDF" when I was in Tokyo last year and the magazine doesn't mention it...if they have them in inventory I'm surprised if the F-2 can't use them, since it is supposed to be the JASDF's main support fighter.

The JASDF doesn't have any Maverick in their inventory. JMSDF is going to purchase AGM-65Fs for anti-piracy operation.

F-2 fighters has close air support capability as limited for now.

Main mission of F-2 fighters are anti-ship attacking from stand-off distance by using ASM-1/2.

So japanese Ministry of Defense had no interest in such role untill few years ago.

Currently JASDF has GBU-38/54 for CAS mission in their inventory, and they are going to purchase targeting pod for own ship designation.

Was the F-2 primarily designed for anti-shipping? I know that is one of its roles, but the magazine I have calls it a "support fighter" (支援戦闘機).

The magazine is from 2004 though, so the information may be outdated.

Yes, you're right.

F-2 was actually designed as support fighter.

Japan is island country, so we usually have to attack ships at first stage of war time situation.

Because of this needs, obviously F-2's main role is anti-ship attacking.

But close air support is also important role for F-2.

Today's multi-role fighters always carry the laser or GPS/INS guided munition with targeting pod.

But JASDF only had GCS-1 infrared guided bomb until few years ago.

GCS-1 is known as anti-ship bomb.

Since past decades, japanese Ministry of Defense always thought that it will be too late and lose situation when JASDF do the CAS mission, because japan has long coastline.

So MOD and JASDF didn't have much interest in such role.

Edited by PeCa_Chuck

So I guess CAS is left up to US forces? As I understand it the SDF is designed to work together with the US.

Yes, the partnership between Japan and US is most important factor for the security.

They have knowledges, skills and equipments for real war which JSDF doesn't have.

For example, JSDF has no capability for SEAD mission, but 35th Fighter Wing (Misawa AB) has such capability.

But I guess US forces will evacuate from japan, after enemy forces landed on my country...

Edited by PeCa_Chuck

But I guess US forces will evacuate from japan, after enemy forces landed on my country...

I'm pretty sure they won't evacuate. Not that I expect any enemy force to land in Japan.

Btw if that ever happens I'm going to volunteer here in my country at the Japanese embassy for a visa , just give me a rifle and send me against the invader. I'm ready to fight for you guys :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm pretty sure they won't evacuate. Not that I expect any enemy force to land in Japan.

Btw if that ever happens I'm going to volunteer here in my country at the Japanese embassy for a visa , just give me a rifle and send me against the invader. I'm ready to fight for you guys :)

I feel reassured if you fight with us.:lol:

I feel reassured if you fight with us.:lol:

1 guy is not an army but if some foreigner is ready to give his life and fight for your country that comes to prove a point that maybe you should expect more support than you have been expecting, that more people who are not Japanese than you've expected wouldn't like to see Japan invaded and would like it to remain an independent and free country.

Of course I can only speak for myself and do with my life what I think is right but my opinion is that Japan would receive a lot more support (coming in different forms) in case a theoretical invasion becomes reality.

Anyways, people value their lives differently, and that may sound funny but I for once feel ready to do everything I can to help keep Japan as is, should its independence is under threat. Here is not the place to discuss this in detail and give reasons and defend this position, it's just how I feel about all this.

I'm sure that in the face of combat, Topol will promptly send a paper to the enemy lines with an impossible aircraft riddle - while they're distracted trying to figure what is it, you strike :D

haha exactly! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was stationed in Okinawa for 6 years, and married a national :D

One of my favorite tail-arts.

WMxBNFi.jpg

ちす!

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD