The Rookie Thread

'The Other Side'

Hi, I'm working my way through the early campaign missions with reasonable results (until now). My problem is with the mission titled 'The Other Side'. This is where you lead a flight over the mountains into Georgia. Flying over the last ridge is where I get into trouble. I just don't seem to have the power to get over this ridge. Eventually I get an 'Engine over speed' warning and the engine/s shuts down (and I crash). Tried it three times at different altitudes and speed. I'm probably doing something silly but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Tried it three times at different altitudes and speed. I'm probably doing something silly but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Optimal Climb speed is about 130km/h. Attempt to maintain a conservative ascent rate, say 5m/s, and take your time. Also, if you're having difficulty, climb in lazy circles until you reach your desired altitude and then carry on.

Thing is with Mountains - you gotta start planning the ascent from Miles away, otherwise you're going to get yourself into trouble.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Optimal Climb speed is about 130km/h. Attempt to maintain a conservative ascent rate, say 5m/s, and take your time. Also, if you're having difficulty, climb in lazy circles until you reach your desired altitude and then carry on.

Thing is with Mountains - you gotta start planning the ascent from Miles away, otherwise you're going to get yourself into trouble.

Thanks 159th Viper I'll give it a try.

Hello all. I bought the game a few weeks ago and after some rough flights, am starting to get the hang of this chopper. The producer's notes are very helpful at getting up to speed with this sim. (been a falcon 4.0 pilot for a long time, so that also helped)

One thing I can't find any information on though is track playback commands/options. Is there a way to fastforward/seek? I could see rewinding not being possible, but how about slow-motion?

I did try searching the forums and could not find anything.

asus p7p55d deluxe | intel i5-750 @ stock | g.skill ripjaw 4gb | asus geforce gtx 470 @ stock | trackir 4 | thrustmaster hotas warthog | win7 home premium 64bit

One thing I can't find any information on though is track playback commands/options. Is there a way to fastforward/seek? I could see rewinding not being possible, but how about slow-motion?

I did try searching the forums and could not find anything.

Time Accelerate = [Z] [LCtrl]

Time Decelerate = [Z] [LAlt]

Time Normal = [Z] [LShift]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Viper. I found them in the keybind list after i read your post. They weren't named like what I thought they would be named.

asus p7p55d deluxe | intel i5-750 @ stock | g.skill ripjaw 4gb | asus geforce gtx 470 @ stock | trackir 4 | thrustmaster hotas warthog | win7 home premium 64bit

Ok this is somewhat embarrassing but thats how you learn. I uploaded a track of a straffing run I tried on the shooting range. hope you guys will take a look and give me some advice. haivng problems lining up targets. and smoothing out my flying.

http://www.2shared.com/file/7485111/1dae93ac/Straferun_test.html

any advice would be appricated. thanks

Accuracy with Rockets is extremely hard (well...for me it is)...

Guns and ATGM are fine to do from a stable hover, as you know, but on the move, it can be very difficult to get the piper over the target consistantly..

My advise to you....

-Start from 10+ KM's out

-Line up and TRIM for a path that takes you through the target zone (though you must never overfly it...you will break left or right after deploying rockets)

- Once trimed on course and speed, turn on Flight Director mode ... this will temprarily disable the heading and roll a/p channels, which will make minor adjustments to pointing the nose much more intuitive

- Rockets are "area effect" weapons, which means they are not necesarily meant to be pinpoint accurate ... set your launch mode to "Medium" or "long" , and start launching at mac "C" range...hopefully the dispersion and frag damage will do the job!

How to break (in air :)) ?

Hi, I often find myself in a situation where I need to break from 200+ AIS to a hover.

My current tactic is to do these roughly simultaneously:

- Pull cyclic back so nose points up - gaining altitude - loosing speed.

- "Reduce" Collective - hence loosing altitude/lift and also speed.

This kinda works. If I apply collective first - I gain allot of altitude - and risk getting seen by enemy.

So I usually quickly start with the collective and the use cyclic to "cancel out" loss of altitude due to almost no collective. While doing this i monitor the Vertical Velocity Indicator - trying to keep it at 0.

This kind of works. But in a stressful situation I fail and gain alot of altitude. Also finding this hard to do if I'm in a turn/course change.

Any comments or suggestions?

How do you "break"?

Perhaps I should plan breaking in advance...

regards, David.

Any comments or suggestions?

How do you "break"?

Perhaps I should plan breaking in advance...

regards, David.

Hard Left Bank with Full left Rudder - Watch this track.

[ATTACH]30746[/ATTACH]

Don't be scared to toss the Whirly-Bird around :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can anyone tell me how to start a game with a cold dark cockpit where enemy helos aren't shooting me? I just bought this game and need to practice cold dark starts and practice flying around the airfield getting the hang of the bird without worrying about getting shot down. In realism mode as well, no game mode for me. Thank you very much!

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Can anyone tell me how to start a game with a cold dark cockpit where enemy helos aren't shooting me? I just bought this game and need to practice cold dark starts and practice flying around the airfield getting the hang of the bird without worrying about getting shot down. In realism mode as well, no game mode for me. Thank you very much!

Start the SIM. On the main page, hit 'Editor' tab. Mission editor will open. Look on the left of the screen - you will see a small Helicopter Icon. Click on it.

Now move your mouse over any Airfield on the map and left-click. An icon should appear over the runway. Look to the right of the screen - you'll find a menu tab with various descriptions: Find the 'Skill' tab and click. A drop-down menu will appear - select 'Player' from the selection.

Further down you will see the 'Type' tab - click and select 'Takeoff from Ramp'.

Now hit the Blue 'Tic' on the left of the screen. You will be prompted to save the mission. Do so with a name of your choice (default 'new mission') and the Mission will start with you Cold on the Apron.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can also click the mission button in the main menu. This will show you a list of many single missions. There is one that is called "Shooting Range". In that one you can do all that you wanted and, as the name says, there is a shooting range not far from the airbase where you can practise your weapon deployment skills on dummy targets.

Ahh bless you guys. This game requires a phd to operate but I am eager to start the process. Thanks! I'm sure I will have about 1000 more questions as the months drag on ;)

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Hi, a simple question: Does NavLights on/off affect AI ability to spot me?

When playing coop NavLights ON makes it easier to spot each other. But does it also help enemy to spot us?

Yes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A lot of people fail to realise this and keep it on, but it should really be turned off.

Quite So.

Pertains specifically to Multiplayer too, especially in a PvP Map. Being hunted, you don't appreciate how successful a 'Christmas-Tree Impersonation' you're pulling off with those Nav lights and Collision Beacon toggled on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi well i havetried to search the forums but cant seem to find a fix for my problem..

Just got the game today and am using a ffb2 joystick

my problem is this.. i dont seem to have any force feedback whenever i am in game. and if i try to launch a quick battle i dont even have the "control" option so just cannot fly at all.

any ideas on how to fix thsi would be great,

my system

a dell xps laptop 2.5ghz cpu dual 8800gtx vidcards 4 gb ram and microsoft ffb2 joystick..

many thanks in advance and hi all.

Hi well i havetried to search the forums but cant seem to find a fix for my problem..

Just got the game today and am using a ffb2 joystick

my problem is this.. i dont seem to have any force feedback whenever i am in game. and if i try to launch a quick battle i dont even have the "control" option so just cannot fly at all.

any ideas on how to fix thsi would be great,

my system

a dell xps laptop 2.5ghz cpu dual 8800gtx vidcards 4 gb ram and microsoft ffb2 joystick..

many thanks in advance and hi all.

I assume your Drivers for the Flightstick are Installed/Up to date?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]