The Rookie Thread

I think I should do some more research to this behaviour to find out when it exactly happens. Note that in this movie the engine failure is not part of the example, though it could be also one of the couses of the rocking.

I think forward cyclic at high speed, combined with a collective drop is the best way to introduce this out of control rocking.

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The coaxial rotors generate pitch, yaw, and bank moments on the helicopter as a function of lift. Change the amount of lift produced by wildly yanking up (or down) on the collective, and the moments will change accordingly, resulting in equally "wild" motion along these three axes.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=649872

• Like 1

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Wow thats a great explenation of the physics!

Though I'm still not really convinced what you subscribe is the only couse of the rocking. But it made me thinking, could it be that high air speeds combined with an increasing cyclic push or dropping the collective is making the airfow comming down on the helicopter too fast for the rotorblades? With other words, creating rotor drag on top of the disk slowing the helicopter down in an unnatural way?

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hello guys... pretty new in this :joystick:

i have an question: can some one explain me thrust/collective buttons?

i would like to have up/down of choper movement to be on Z slider rather than on Q and A...

and if i make that for what thrust works for?

Thought I would come and stop by. I bought DCS Black Shark today, after doing some prior research of course, but I will probably be using this thread for a while since I am a nugget :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

I have read that the AP disengages when you are in auto hover and go below 4 m. My question is why does it do that? It's quite dangerous. I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

Anyone? Does the extended manual say anything about this? Why does a system that is keeping you safely hovering suddenly quit at a critical altitude?

Anyone? Does the extended manual say anything about this? Why does a system that is keeping you safely hovering suddenly quit at a critical altitude?

Because under 4 m, the doppler radar can't get reliable data about the movement/drifting of the helicopter. Instead of doing some crazy move, the AP just disengage. The 4 m limit is also enforced by the auto descend mode.

I changed a loadout during one of my missions so that I would have rockets and the cannon. No Vikhr's. My headphones were starting to hurt so I took them off and turned on my iPod and put it on shuffle. We were still a few minutes away from ingress when it started.

By the time it finished we were around the corner when the second song came on. Wagners "Ride of the valkyrie". Perfect timing rofl. So I decided to screw the tactical approach and just came in screaming around the corner spamming rockets. We annihlated the entire town. No building was left. Mission complete after we destroyed the ground forces.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

Data Link is your friend

I was able to learn an aweful lot, by watching my AI wingman engage targets. I used the Shkval and ABRIS to mark targets and create a target area ingress point. I, then, sent that info over to my wingman, and instructed him to get in there and kill stuff.

Moral of the story... learn to receive and transmit data link info.

Many of the campaign missions provide you with barely enough fuel to get through them, so be carefull when deciding to take the time to play with the data link.

Saitek X52 Pro

TrackIr 5

DcsMax 1.6

Vista Ultimate x64, Intel i7 920, 6GB 3-Channel RAM, 2x EVGA GeForce GTX260 SLI

Wagners "Ride of the valkyrie". Perfect timing rofl. So I decided to screw the tactical approach and just came in screaming around the corner spamming rockets. We annihlated the entire town. No building was left.
Now, that right there is a war story!

Hi. Been away from PC games for years, used mostly console (PS2 and PS3) for gaming. I alredy missed the good PC games that are totally unavailable in consoles, like strategy and flight sims. Looking up on the internet etc. I decided to get black shark. Got it two days ago and I'm inlove with it, but still learning alot and fighting to control the heli...

Always been a fan of sims, back to the days of the Falcon F16 and Strike Eagle II (1989!) and early nineties... last time I played a sim was with Micrsosof Flight Simulator 2001... things have changed :)

greetings to everyone and I hope I can get some tips sometime!

ghost dog

Does anyone know a good place where they might have the tutorial missions in video format? I would like to run them on my laptop while I train myself in DCS. :)

(Will fraps work in DCS BS? Maybe I can use that to save the tutorials as videos?)

please reply to http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=727031#post727031

Edited by KidBomba

Just got the game and spent a few hours watching track files before even touching the stick. Loved LOMAC and look forward to getting stuck into this sim as I love all things tank busting, dog fighting has never been my forte:thumbup:

A dumb question. Do I have to install the hotfix for the patch if I had no problems it?

I haven't and as long as it works well for me I don't see the need. Do you?

Online and offline both works great. I could even swear I saw a mention that it wasn't necessary, but I can't really say where =)

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Okay, thank you! Like I said, a dumb question. :)
Griffin, not a dumb question at all! I'm still not certain myself, but it appears that 1.0.1a is only an additional fix for those with mixed region installations (Russian game on an English OS, etc.). I have installed 1.0.01, but not 1.0.1a, and still successfully hosted and played an online game with a player who did have 1.0.1a.

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the game a week ago and after reviewing and playing the tutorial I found on SimHQ I decided to go on multiplayer (easy missions) to practise my hover and targeting skills and watch more experienced players do their thing.

However, I encountered a problem with engaging targets at long range (> 5 km) with the Vikhr. At this distance I am able to fire the Vikhr at buildings but somehow not at moving vehicles.

The situation: a moving ZSU-23-4 at 7.4 km on a road. My helicopter is at 950 m in the air. Laser on, ground moving target on, automatic turn to target on, master arm switch on, Vikhr selected.

I uncage the Shkval and select the target, it is then locked and the display reads TA (and I verify that the target is indeed locked, it is). I align the helicopter with the target (target marker in the missile launch zone reticle). However, I get no C and I am not allowed to fire the missile! When I reselect the target I continuously see a count-down timer in the HUD, but never an authorisation to fire emerges. I am able to unlock and relock the target again and again, but I am not allowed to actually fire the missile.

What am I doing wrong? :(

I just got the game a week ago and after reviewing and playing the tutorial I found on SimHQ I decided to go on multiplayer (easy missions) to practise my hover and targeting skills and watch more experienced players do their thing.

However, I encountered a problem with engaging targets at long range (> 5 km) with the Vikhr. At this distance I am able to fire the Vikhr at buildings but somehow not at moving vehicles.

The situation: a moving ZSU-23-4 at 7.4 km on a road. My helicopter is at 950 m in the air. Laser on, ground moving target on, automatic turn to target on, master arm switch on, Vikhr selected.

I uncage the Shkval and select the target, it is then locked and the display reads TA (and I verify that the target is indeed locked, it is). I align the helicopter with the target (target marker in the missile launch zone reticle). However, I get no C and I am not allowed to fire the missile! When I reselect the target I continuously see a count-down timer in the HUD, but never an authorisation to fire emerges. I am able to unlock and relock the target again and again, but I am not allowed to actually fire the missile.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Could you post a track where you experience the above? Easier to diagnose faults if one has regard to a track :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Vaiar - Did you try getting to under 7kms? at 6.9 I bet you can fire, check range pips on the reticle as well for a clue of whether you're in range. I know the range should be 8kms for a Vik but I'm sure the same thing happened to me last night.

Also try hitting the switch directly below the master arm, it puts your weapons to manual, so you have authority to fire even when out of range (useful for MANPADS and cannon at +4kms!). Can still get hits from distance that way.