The Rookie Thread

I can not get the Shkval narrow view 23x and wide view 7x keys to work, using - and + respectivley on my keyboard. Everthing else works, really stumped

Sorted, remapped keys

rooivalk

Edited by rooivalk

Guest Groundpounder

Not getting past first base

This is the rookie thread, so here's my rookie question (though I'm by no means a flight sim Rookie, being familiar with many flight sims including LOMAC). But I'm having heck of a problem getting BS to run.

I installed the game, activated it, and can get into the main start screen, select tasks, customize the game etc., but whenever I select a mission, it loads in paused mode, with an instruction to press Pause/Break. On my keyboard that's F12, but that doesn't work. So I linked Pause to another key, and that doesn't work either!

What am I doing wrong?

Hi!

About the INU - I-251V switch on the PVI-800.

In the English version the INU text is in the UP position of the switch (PIC) and in Russian version it is in the DOWN position of the switch? (PIC)

Why is it so? Or am I missing something here?

It just got me a bit confused when i was trying to learn to make target points and coordinate corrections.

Hi All

looking to hook up online to chat with experienced users.

Has anybody got the Team Speak ip addresses and timings for any of the VUs out there??

Irish

Server Directory.

Also see Squadron Directory. Both threads contain TS addresses and related info.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

This is the rookie thread, so here's my rookie question (though I'm by no means a flight sim Rookie, being familiar with many flight sims including LOMAC). But I'm having heck of a problem getting BS to run.

I installed the game, activated it, and can get into the main start screen, select tasks, customize the game etc., but whenever I select a mission, it loads in paused mode, with an instruction to press Pause/Break. On my keyboard that's F12, but that doesn't work. So I linked Pause to another key, and that doesn't work either!

What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried pressing the actual "Pause/Break" key?

No longer active in DCS...

Have you tried pressing the actual "Pause/Break" key?

I have a similiar experience with my keyboard. Try pressing the F-Lock key before you press the the F12/pause button. The catch is, when you want to use the F-keys for comms, you will need to press the F-Lock key one last time. After that you can use the Esc-key to pause/unpause the sim.

Just another tip for those who mightn't be able to fire missiles or rockets after firing their cannon. I had the same problem and couldn't work out what was wrong, until I accidentally touched the 'c' key again and realised the cannon needs to be disengaged for you to use other weapons.

I have played simulators since I was a kid starting with Gunship (microprose) on my C64 way back and this sim really put me to the test in a nice way. I have spent the last month reading the manual, going through almost every training lesson, taking notes, practice practice and more practice and today was the first time I launched an ATGM. I will not jump into a mission untill I know I have a chance to turn the tide :).

This is one of the most mature and helpful forums I have seen so far. I salute you all!

Go Ugly Early

I have played simulators since I was a kid starting with Gunship (microprose) on my C64 way back and this sim really put me to the test in a nice way. I have spent the last month reading the manual, going through almost every training lesson, taking notes, practice practice and more practice and today was the first time I launched an ATGM. I will not jump into a mission untill I know I have a chance to turn the tide :).

This is one of the most mature and helpful forums I have seen so far. I salute you all!

Yes, but by the time you memorise everything and are completely ready ... won't enemy already have overrun your airbase? :cry:

Enjoy it Kirai, it truly is a fun game. By the way, Gunship by Microprose was another uber game, I've got no idea how many hours I logged on that game. By todays standards graphics were poor, but the gameplay was just outstanding.

I will not jump into a mission untill I know I have a chance to turn the tide :).

I agree on both counts. I don't have the benefit of being a paid, trained helo pilot so I will take as much time as I need before hopping into a full mission with any expectation of success.

The fact that BS is capable of making us take such pains is testament to how fine of a product it is. :book:

Yes, but by the time you memorise everything and are completely ready ... won't enemy already have overrun your airbase? :cry:

Enjoy it Kirai, it truly is a fun game. By the way, Gunship by Microprose was another uber game, I've got no idea how many hours I logged on that game. By todays standards graphics were poor, but the gameplay was just outstanding.

So true so true but better safe then sorry I guess? :)

Yes I played it all the time, then Gunship 2000. Can´t wait for the AH-64 Apache for BS.

Go Ugly Early

Yep, played a fair bit of Longbow 2 in the past, glad to see the Apache heading this way. I just hope the Longbow radar will be modeled at some point; nothing like raining hellfires from behind a hill. :D

For my own noobie question: I'm sitting on a FARP, in the middle of a mission. I'm requesting refuel, but ground crew keeps saying "unable to comply". Helo is "cold", no systems powered up or spinning blades. Am I doing something wrong, or don't they have any fuel to give? :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

Nevah! Because I keep crashing into them until we all learn how to deploy our weapons! :D

And after that .. I'll just keep on crashing. Keep it up! :thumbup:

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I'm sitting on a FARP, in the middle of a mission. I'm requesting refuel, but ground crew keeps saying "unable to comply". Helo is "cold", no systems powered up or spinning blades. Am I doing something wrong, or don't they have any fuel to give? :cry:

If there's no fuel bowser or fuel depot within 150m of the farp then 'unable to comply' is as you said, no fuel to give. Check external view to see if theres any around. Also by the way you can refuel 'hot' rotors running. I take it you can re-arm no problem?

• Like 1

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Yep, rearm was fine, but fuel was refused, so I tried shutting her down and request again, no joy. I looked around and noticed a distinct lack of a fuel truck (figured I'd snuggle up besides it and try again :D ), which prompted my question. Wasn't sure if one needed to be present at all for ground operations at airfield/FARP, but it makes sense that it is.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to check next time before setting down. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

Guys, I can't understand one thing about the controls...

How the "F1 Natural head movement works"? When I start an "Instant Action mission" I can't mouse look and pressing F1-LCtrl doesn't enable mouse look.

Have I missed something?

...When I start an "Instant Action mission" I can't mouse look and pressing F1-LCtrl doesn't enable mouse look.

Have I missed something?

[LAlt]-[C] toggles Mouselook.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually if your speed was below 70km/h and you dropped collective then you 've experienced a vortex ring... The key to vortex ring is your (horizontal) speed, if its low then it will cause a vortex ring, if its not dropping collective at any rate will not cause it!

I haven't had a look at it, but basically you change rotor torque very quickly if you do this, which should translate in a yaw motion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Question: Dropping the collective suddently while flying at high speed couses a wild rock to the Ka-50 (quick nose down and left right rolling).

Is this another kind of vortex ring effect?

Is this not indicative/as a result of a secondary cause, ie Engine Failure as an example as per the tutorial in the link in your second post?

Reason for the above submission is that I have never experienced the behaviour which you mention (Wild Rock - Nose down and left to right) at times when dropping the collective at Max IAS or close thereto - which is pretty much everytime I come in to land if I'm in a hurry.

See this Track - http://www.2shared.com/file/6637247/bd9a2fa0/Land1.html

The moment I overfly the FARP I completely dump the collective a sec or so before applying Full Right Rudder/Right Cyclic in order to land - and none of the aforesaid behaviour experienced.

Just a Thought :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]