Mission Editor Features Request Wishlist

Grimes

yes but can you add neutral units? :)

(can't check myself now :( )

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I was getting ready to go post another screenshot of a bunch of grey units on the map only to discover neutral countries are simply taken off the country list entirely! I've never really used it... but I figured that's how it would work.

Okay then! Standing corrected- VJs suggestion is entirely valid and I think an important addition. UN forces would be good example for this use as well (for countries that have UN markings already, or are planning to have them in the future).

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

So everything as before: if a country is "neutral" it is simply removed from the mission files :(.

thanks anyway :)

ChromiumDis.png

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

I have always just configured neutral units as civilian vehicles, UN marked helicopters or just described invalid targets in the briefing with associated triggers. I also make them invisible in the ME- so I get around it... If any of those units is destroyed it has to be by a human opponent- so I set a flag to increase in value when any get destroyed. Hit too many and the mission is aborted.

But having neutral units- ACTUAL neutral- would be much better.

"ENO"

Its probably more of a happy accident than it is a feature, but if you use coalition.addGroup() to a country that does not belong on red or blue and the units that spawn in will neutral to all. Because the sim doesn't really have gray icons though the units appear to belong to whichever coalition you are on, but I'm pretty sure that even with ground commander you can't control them. I wouldn't say a neutral side is supported as a feature though, its just a really weird thing you can technically do. Eventually I'd like to see support for multiple coalitions, but for now its just red vs blue.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Screen_140107_041303.jpg

Wish granted!

I've searched for this now several times, but never succeeded ... is there a way to change the coalition assignment of a country AFTER the mission was created with "New"? I.e. how can I get that dialog up without creating a new mission?

As far as I know you have to go into the .miz file, convert it to a zip, then go into the mission file with notepad++ and find the coalitions. You can then move the relevant country from one to the other. That's the basic of it but it would be nice to have something that didn't require these measures.

"ENO"

It would also be nice if these mission editor icons had "footprints" outlining them when they were placed.

+1

In the original Lock-On you could actually see the object you where placing from the top if you zoomed in enough with the satellite view the editor had back then.

I really really REALLY wish they will implement it in DCS.

It's so frustrating to try to build a base around a FARP for example, when you have to test the mission a hundred times in order to see that the objects are placed correctly.

Someone might remember me as 'FlyingRussian' from the Ubisoft Lock-On forum back in '03

+1

In the original Lock-On you could actually see the object you where placing from the top if you zoomed in enough with the satellite view the editor had back then.

It's so frustrating to try to build a base around a FARP for example, when you have to test the mission a hundred times in order to see that the objects are placed correctly.

I second this point. Mission-building with precise object placement is really frustrating in the current state. Object placement should work like in the old IL-2 mission builder with direct placement "in-game", plus with a small screenshot for each object in the selection menue.

+1

Just so you know- Stuka built a farp tenplate in his realistic templates addition that uses vehicles to outline the farp and is really handy. Highly recommend. Go to mission builders forum and see the script library- I think it's in there. Saved me hours in the me.

"ENO"

• 2 weeks later...

I would love the ability to autopopulate the mission with large groups that have everything you need.

For instance:

--Click on an airfield

--Select "Add a squadron"

--Select the squadron and type of aircraft that it flies

--The ME would then add all the aircraft on the airfield, the ground support and transport units that they would need, would set resources levels for fuel and weapons that would be needed

You could maybe even have a "readiness" level for that squadron--something like lean, regular, or well prepared. Would affect the resource levels at the airfield.

This could also be expanded to include easily placing large groups of ground forces that are interconnected.

I would love the ability to autopopulate the mission with large groups that have everything you need.

For instance:

--Click on an airfield

--Select "Add a squadron"

--Select the squadron and type of aircraft that it flies

--The ME would then add all the aircraft on the airfield, the ground support and transport units that they would need, would set resources levels for fuel and weapons that would be needed

You could maybe even have a "readiness" level for that squadron--something like lean, regular, or well prepared. Would affect the resource levels at the airfield.

This could also be expanded to include easily placing large groups of ground forces that are interconnected.

I've not really played with it, but isn't there the ability to save templates like this in the ME?

Nate

Templates are very simple. This would go much deeper to include resource quantities and populating each airfield.

The realistic templates that Stuka created are amazing and so far the closest to what I'm talking about. Unfortunately the sim makes these templates very rigid (1 set formation, doesn't link various groups together for resource sharing).

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if someone has already posted this or not there is a lot of pages......

I have been trying to put a bit of 'eye candy' on an airfield and wanted to put a vehicle in a W/P loop like you can with A/C so I could have a vehicle constantly driving around.

Cant put vehicles in W/P loops. Would be nice if we could........

You con already do that by using mist patrol function ;)

ChromiumDis.png

ChromiumDis.png

• 3 weeks later...

While using the editor the other day I came to realize how much I miss "CONTROL" and "SHIFT" + LEFT CLICK functions to be able to select groups of units or individual units throughout a group.

For example with control, being able to pick out several individual units within a group to assign them to skill levels or headings (etc), or with shift being able to select a block of units (starting from whatever point. Similar function as within windows I guess is what I think would be "nice."

"ENO"

• 3 weeks later...

Ships and ground forces to have more triggered actions.

Have a trigger for when a unit comes under fire, not just when damaged or killed. There is a generic trigger for 'shot fired', but I want triggers where I can test against a named unit or group.

There is a trigger condition for Bomb in Zone. I want one for missiles and rockets too.

I want to be able to use name variables to identify 'Flags', not just numbers.

With aircraft we can set how many weapons are used within an attack, I want the same for ground artillery and naval bombardment. A MLRS shooting all 12 rockets at a truck is not a good use of ammo.

The ability to created rectangular and polygon shaped zones. It's hard setting up triggers for incursions across boarders (etc.) with only circular zones.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest to add a timeline setting in quick mission generator and mission editor, used to filter out the weapons and vehicle available at that periods and filter out the obsoleted equipment from current timeline.

add 3d object viewer to view the current object on the map, view current skin for the vehicle and select the proper skin.

Edited by JOKERACTS

A small improvement that would help usability tremendously:

a combobox/dropdown list to select existing group (where you input name of the group).

This should help locating specific group quickly and easily.

Could be made as a "tree" with category+group such as "helicopters"+<group name> or "armor"+<group name>

Sorry if this is already mentioned or exists somewhere, just started learning about mission editor..

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Mission Editor Options

To avoid friendly kills, Its would be nice to have an option to tick or un tick friendly kills... For example;

Mission Editor: Map Options

2129101691_MissionOptions.thumb.jpg.5bbc86fdee5cdbc6d483c03d45626f68.jpg

1) You would tick Avoid friendly kills and friendly kills would not be possible.

2) You would un tick friendly kills and friendly kills would be possible.

Edited by S77TH-Ez-Ian39

Born once Die twice, Born twice Die once :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else frustrated with having to move an entire group away from its current location just because the mission editor wants to put the next unit down on water? You spend time fussing over an entire group location and by the time you've moved the new unit the a place it won't end up in the water it's tough to get the group back into its original position again.

Just working on something and finding that really inconvenience (oooooooh princess!)

I know, I know... just sayin.

"ENO"

• 1 month later...

My requests:

1. Parentheses in the logical conditions, so that conditions can be grouped and given precedence. A corollary to this would be to have each condition within a parenthetical group be indented by one space for each level of parentheses.
  2. Add a comment/remark field for each entry (conditions and actions), as well as one for the entire trigger so that we can add descriptions while maintaining naming conventions.
  3. Allow each flag number to have a title (this could either be the comment field, or a separate field), and have the title follow the flag number in other conditions and actions so that you could hold the mouse cursor over the flag and see what it means at a glance.
  4. A button that allows us to toggle seeing/editing the trigger in its native LUA format and the current tabular format, along with the ability to cut and paste text.

Edited by Home Fries

Not quite mission editor specific, but I'd really like to be able to enforce specific label settings on a mission-by-mission basis.

For example, if I put \Config\View\Labels.lua into my .miz file, I'd like that labels file to be enforced on all client machines.