DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

What is the neg G limit hogdrivers aim for? E.g. when recovering from a climb, when do they push to level flight and when do they roll to inverted flight to pull to level and roll back?

Pushing your nose over to level makes you a very slow moving target and generates negative g's. Both are generally a bad thing.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah I get that but when do you roll inverted to pull and when do you push? I imagine you don't roll inverted to pull out of a 5 degree climb, neither do you roll inverted to pull into a 5 degree dive... So, what is the limit? When do you roll and pull instead of push?

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

It gets down to the Gs I try not to push more than negative 1-1.5 G at anytime and yes, if possible (room to maneuver) I try to roll /bank even below 10 degrees. This gets especially useful when aligning for a gun run! Prevents fighting the PAC 1 mode. I'm not an authority on this, because I only fly the SIM... :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah I get that but when do you roll inverted to pull and when do you push? I imagine you don't roll inverted to pull out of a 5 degree climb, neither do you roll inverted to pull into a 5 degree dive... So, what is the limit? When do you roll and pull instead of push?

Well in what given situation do you talk about? For combat sorties there are standard SEM (Safe Escape Maneuvers), for which in general you pull up, bank/turn and let the gravity do the job.

As you know the A-10C isn´t a jet full of power. In formations it´s better to push forward - so the fancy roll and pull is mostly used when you have fun att NOE in valley flying or trying to aviod AAA fire.

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

I keep trying to write an answer and it keeps getting long winded and full of qualifications. I ultimately come back to the first sentence I typed.

This is all about experience. The negative G limits of 2Gs and 10 seconds tell you how far you can push it and experience tells you how to make that choice.

The only other point I can make is that the more realistically you fly the less things like this enter the equation. If you know how the SEMs work then you realize that if you're doing everything right there should be almost no times in combat you find yourself having to push from more than 5 degrees of climb without being in a turn where the gravity brings you back down.

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

^this

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Im not talking about roll ins and SEMs. Im talking about recovering from something like a 15 or 20 climb for instance after a steep take off..

Im not talking about roll ins and SEMs. Im talking about recovering from something like a 15 or 20 climb for instance after a steep take off..

Again, how can we give you the answer on that? Not to be picky but that is way to steep for a normal take-off. As long as you don´t shut of the engines for all the negative G´s - then do as you wish. Bank the aircraft, pull of power, roll & pull or push, or just let the gravity do the job slowly by releasing the stick.

It´s a matter of choice - and unless you´re not a part of squadron with specific procedures and rules - it´s up to you how you do it. But the overall rule is as P*Funk said - experience and knowing your aircraft and its capabilities and drawbacks is most vital.

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

After a take off with 20* climb (for whatever reason) I would either use the aligning to the next waypoint to bank and dive into the correct heading or, if by coincidence you are on the correct heading, push no more than -1 G, to prevent the Hog from stalling right away! After take off such a steep climb will quickly end in a near stall situation! :D

Shagrat

Then in this situation pushing is a natural thing to do. Outlining the scenario at the onset would have saved people a lot of wasted typing.

I don't know why anyone would roll and pull during basic departure procedures. You should be monitoring speed and possibly following the max performance climb speed schedule to ensure your pitch attitude remains manageable and recoverable with a push, though I don't think the A-10 has enough thrust to give us a climb angle anywhere near high enough to be in the realm of when you consider a roll and pull. If you're managing a steady climb at 20 degrees nose high I think you might be having speed issues in short order however, particularly with a combat load. :P Part of piloting is keeping the aircraft in manageable parameters and commercial pilots do this by default. A 737 doesn't have the luxury of rolling and pulling if it finds itself pitched too high and running out of speed. Anticipating the imminent changes will allow you to shallow the ascent ahead of leveling off so its not about making radical changes in an otherwise banal flight regime.

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Does the A-10C have wing flex? I find it really adds to the immersion in most games.

It does, but it's very slight and hard to notice.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Do not look too long for the wing flex! Look where you're flying :D

Shagrat

:megalol:

Shagrat

Well to really flex the very stiff wings of an A-10 you have to pull some G, which usually means you're in a pretty steep dive and trying to recover... now you need just to pull a "little more" and snap(!) flex your wings for ever! :D

Shagrat

Ahhhh, I forgot about that kind of "flex" I've only done it three times. Twice was purposely induced- for scientific purposes after realising the first. It was glorious. Never realised there was minute flex before that though. But like turbulence; shaking stores on the wings would be amazing. I think I saw that in BMS.

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Guys I can't help but notice a difference in the 10C's flight model since 1.2.9...

Somehow the jet is more stable and requires less trim, it responds much quicker to input changes, and it allows for more excessive aerobatics/abuse.

An example: up to 1.2.8 when doing a max power 30 degree dive gun run and pulling into a climb SEM with a default loadout of 2 mavs, 2 laus, and 4 bombs, the stall warning would start at 3G and at around 3.5G pull it would be out of control. In 1.2.9 I can sharply pull 5.5G in exactly the same setting without getting the chopped tone. 1.2.9 is also the first time in my life I heard the breathing and noticed the visual blackout effect.

Either something seriously changed to a more forgiving flight model or I had some seriously messed up settings before 1.2.9.

I noticed last night that it seemed a bit more fluid moving, like sitting in a real plane. I haven't played in a while so this is double edge: memory slightly degraded but I notice the little changes. Of course there are no other changes, just generalizing when coming back to sobering after patch/changes.

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

I would like to test the roll rate... whenever I watched A-10 West Demo Team perform on video, it looked more agile, though I have to admit, you could get pretty close, already.

Did you compare the same mission with the same weather? Guess wind and temperature make a difference in performance... and this is definitely modeled.

Shagrat

Guys I can't help but notice a difference in the 10C's flight model since 1.2.9...

Somehow the jet is more stable and requires less trim, it responds much quicker to input changes, and it allows for more excessive aerobatics/abuse.

An example: up to 1.2.8 when doing a max power 30 degree dive gun run and pulling into a climb SEM with a default loadout of 2 mavs, 2 laus, and 4 bombs, the stall warning would start at 3G and at around 3.5G pull it would be out of control. In 1.2.9 I can sharply pull 5.5G in exactly the same setting without getting the chopped tone. 1.2.9 is also the first time in my life I heard the breathing and noticed the visual blackout effect.

Either something seriously changed to a more forgiving flight model or I had some seriously messed up settings before 1.2.9.

I tried it after I read your posting. But I haven't flown her much in the past, so it could be quite possible that what I experienced was just some sort of wishful thinking, induced by your posting ... :o)

But fwiw, I had the feeling as if engines had a bit more power? In the past, I had difficulties to keep my energy/speed at more than 260 ... 270 kts in average during the flight when manevuering with my "standard" loadout (2 Mav, 2-4 GBU/CBU/LGB, TGP, ECM). Today I had almost no trouble at all to keep her around 290 with a good tendency towards 300+ !

If this observation is true, then it could also explain your experience - more energy, more G possible. (but the G-breathing ... I would ignore that as an idicator for a change - it could well be that it is just a fixed audio bug)

First of all I find it weird that ED explicitly states no changes have been made because obviously at least something has changed. Secondly, so far we're the only two noticing a difference, nobody is discussing it.

Anyway, question remains what the realistic performance is, the sub 1.2.9 one or the new one...

First of all I find it weird that ED explicitly states no changes have been made because obviously at least something has changed. Secondly, so far we're the only two noticing a difference, nobody is discussing it.

Anyway, question remains what the realistic performance is, the sub 1.2.9 one or the new one...

I am not convinced - not by my own tests at least. I recorded a track with some risky maneuvering - which I would expect to have me kissed the ground/mountain if I had not the energy plus I thought I had. I played it back in 1.2.8. Guess what ... no difference...:huh: