DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Pinky FWD also turns on formation light strips and the light on the spine just in front of the engine nacelles. Pretty useless during daytime.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

How are you supposed to execute the Snake's Head mission?

I stayed as low in the valley as I could and thought you were supposed to but then when I came out of the valley I had about one moment to spot the target, mark and bomb him which was easier said than done so all I managed was some gunshots then the myriad of soldiers on the ground hit me several times and I was dead.

Are you supposed to go up to high altitude and continue north once you leave the valley then turn around and bomb the smoke? Because going low with all those soldiers on the ground was suicide…

DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

To be honest it's a bit of a Holiwood mission. Don't beat yourself up if you get ganked in the stock SP missions. Try some MP or the user made SP missions. Specifically those that are loosely based on real life scenarios.

What about the Georgian Hammer mission where you're supposed to CAS two groups to Montana and Vermont?

It was my second mission now but I believe it’s a bit unpredictable what missions you get.

On my first attempt I destroyed some enemies I happened to see until I was out of ammo then told the groups to go ahead and soon they were dead… mission over.

On my next attempt I contacted the JTAC but only one of them tells you where one enemy is so that’s not very helpful… I destroyed it and told the groups to move ahead and soon they were dead again…

I’m going to give it a third go and try to destroy both the one enemy group the JTAC mentions and try to spot as much other stuff as I can until I’m out of ammo then tell the groups to move ahead again…

A nightmare mission… it seems you’re supposed to spot targets on the ground by yourself which I’m not very good at.

May have to do the campaign over but odds are I would have a CAS mission again.

It is a bit tricky. There are at least 2(!) Tank platoons (3 Tanks each) near the villages overlooking the road! You need to identify the Tanks first - not the BMP or BTR. When you took them out, advance the ground forces to the first objective. Call in the CAS flight, a pair of A-10s to provide cover while you rush back to rearm. Now mop up the remaining threat enroute to the final objective and let your troops advance... the key is to concentrate on the threats to your own ground forces aka the Big Nasty T-80 and T-72 Tanks... only then go for BMPs, but only the ones near the path your ground troops take.

Also you would like to thoroughly study the mission briefing and the map!!! You need to KNOW where your troops pass through.

JTACS will lead you to at least one Tank platoon near each objective... still check the complete path...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It is a bit tricky. There are at least 2(!) Tank platoons (3 Tanks each) near the villages overlooking the road! You need to identify the Tanks first - not the BMP or BTR. When you took them out, advance the ground forces to the first objective. Call in the CAS flight, a pair of A-10s to provide cover while you rush back to rearm. Now mop up the remaining threat enroute to the final objective and let your troops advance... the key is to concentrate on the threats to your own ground forces aka the Big Nasty T-80 and T-72 Tanks... only then go for BMPs, but only the ones near the path your ground troops take.

Also you would like to thoroughly study the mission briefing and the map!!! You need to KNOW where your troops pass through.

JTACS will lead you to at least one Tank platoon near each objective... still check the complete path...

Thanks. CAS sounds like a lot of work in difference to mere bombing missions. Sounds fun.

It never occurred to me until recently, but how does the A-10C A-G gunsight know exactly what the terrain elevation is for the GAU-8? That is, how does it so perfectly adjust for the terrain so that it can tell the pilot where the rounds will fall?

It has no radar, so there are no radar reflections from the ground to detect. I would assume GPS makes no sense because it isn't perfectly accurate and it would need a terrain database and location to give the aircraft data. So I am left to assume some kind of laser-reflection from the pave penny does the terrain detection.

Just guesses, but no real answer.

Is there a way to get mavs out of force correlate back to their default (can't remember the name) mode. Is there a missile reject HOTAS assignment? I could never get them out of it, it just says boresight, but still allows me to slue

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

Is there a way to get mavs out of force correlate back to their default (can't remember the name) mode. Is there a missile reject HOTAS assignment? I could never get them out of it, it just says boresight, but still allows me to slue

I use china hat forward long to move the mav back to SPI, and back to default condition. Not sure if it's the only way, maybe on of the veterans around here knows the correct procedure.

Edited by MacEwan

That's how it works; the A-10 has a elevation map stored that gets used in conjunction with other aircraft sensor information to tell you where the bullets will land

Wow, ok. I suppose it is more reliable than I had thought. Thanks!

The 'china hat' switch is called the Missile Reject/Uncage Switch IRL. Remember this and you'll know what to do. :) Also, the 'boat' switch is actually called the Polarity Switch.

Wow, ok. I suppose it is more reliable than I had thought. Thanks!

The GPS on those planes is much better than what you know from everyday live. It's not just better receivers, it's that the full precision GPS data is encrypted and civilian GPS receivers use only the degraded public GPS data.

That's what the GPS erase button somewhere in the cockpit is for, to erase the keys before crashing to prevent them from falling into enemy hands.

The 'china hat' switch is called the Missile Reject/Uncage Switch IRL. Remember this and you'll know what to do. :) Also, the 'boat' switch is actually called the Polarity Switch.

No. The china hat is called the china hat, and the boat switch is called the boat switch.

The Missile Reject/Uncage Switch and polarity switch are from the A-10A. Their functions are performed by the china hat and boat switch respectively in the A-10C, SOI selection depending of course.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The 10C dash 1 still describes them as such in the tables explaining the functions per SOI. I don't know the version/date off the top of my head but it includes the HMCS so it can't be very outdated I'd say.

So missile reject is China hat back long? I haven't played in a while but i think I remember forward long slaves to spi, short changes fov, back short cages/borsights, so its just back long? With mav soi?

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

So missile reject is China hat back long? I haven't played in a while but i think I remember forward long slaves to spi, short changes fov, back short cages/borsights, so its just back long? With mav soi?

I don't think china aft long does anything to the mav. China aft short cages it and returns it to boresight, China forward long slaves it to spi, and forward short changes zoom levels.

DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

MAV China aft short 1st time boresights, 2nd time steps. However only when you have multiple of the same mavericks loaded in the inventory.

This is all in the game manual and easily Googlable...

Edited by JayPee

MAV China aft short 1st time boresights, 2nd time steps. However only when you have multiple of the same mavericks loaded in the inventory.

This is all in the game manual and easily Googlable...

That's what I was looking for but couldn't remember the terminology. Thanks.

Note the difference between rejecting and stepping:

Stepping: canceling the currently active missile and switching to the next one in line. Naturally, if you 'step' the last missile in line, it'll switch to the first one again and the sequence starts all over.

Rejecting: canceling the currently active missile and switching to the next one in line. However this 'form' of canceling brands the missile unusable. So if you have rejected all missiles, you won't be able to use them anymore. To reset this status, re-enable the missile as SOI again.

Luckily for you it's pretty simple: MAVs can only be stepped while AIMs can only be rejected.

What is the neg G limit hogdrivers aim for? E.g. when recovering from a climb, when do they push to level flight and when do they roll to inverted flight to pull to level and roll back?

Try to omit pushing at all. It's always better to roll and invert and level out. Not always possible though... ;-)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)