Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

ok so can only get multiple screens on the newer versions? I am very new to flight sims and finding it a bit of a pain learning on my own lol and the A-10 "flaming cliffs 3 version" is a bit hard to do the targeting with the small screen

• 1 month later...

Hello, i have one question. I have this machine:

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 (3259-BBG) - Intel Core i5 3210M | Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 | OCZ Vertex 4 256GB + 60GB OCZ Nocti mSATA | nVidia GeForce GT630M 2GB + Intel HD4000 | LED LCD 1600x900 | Windows 8 Pro 64bit

And i want to connect 2nd small LCD (7 inch) with 480x240 pix via VGA for shkval.

Its possible? And how about FPS effect?

Yes should be possible, and it will have a negative effect upon fps.

However i have no idea if the negative effect would be significant or a show stopper. (any increase in total screen resolution will make the graphics card work harder.)

What kind of fps do you get using just the main monitor?

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I already made some tests. I set my 24 monitor on lowest ress ( 1024x768 ) and set the Shkval on it. Its works fine and i didnt saw any nagative significant effect on the game.

So i ordered this LCD modul: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180974436891

Its a 7inch LCD 800x480 with reversing driver board with HDMI and VGA input.

So i hope it will arrive soon :-)

• 2 weeks later...

This is my setup:

529608_10151468383666093_965465833_n.jpg

Both monitors are 1920x1080 so, my res should be set to 1920x2160 correct?

To start, all I want on my 2rd screen are the MFDs, tucked into their respective corners on the bottom of the lower screen.

Given that, here is my custom LUA, did I get it right?

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('My_example');

Description = 'Two monitor configuration';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 2160;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 1320;

width = 840;

height = 840;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1080;

y = 1320;

width = 840;

height = 840;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

After I know this works, I think I want to add a little buffer to move them away from the edges of the sreen as well as a RWR.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all I have some questions

You say disable full screen does that mean I will have to fly in windowed mode ?

I'm trying to use my 720p tv as secondary display I see most of you guys move there MFCDS is there any way to add some other Gages ?

Thanks

INTEL CORE I7 6700K

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

ASUS ROG GTX1080Ti Strix OC

16GB @ 4100 MHz |CORSAIR

Intel 730 SSD 240GB

Corsair 850 W Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 650d

Logitech X-56 HOTAS ,Saitek X-65F HOTAS, Pro Ruder Pedals, Pro Flight Instrument Panel

NP TrackIr 5 Pro

Windows 10 PRO

Is there any ay to remove the MFD-renders from the main viewport and only have them on my side screens? tried a search but didn't get any hits.

Do you mean the MFD's in you cockpit image on the main screen? If so then there is, look in;

C:\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua

and change line 31 purposes = {--render_purpose.GENERAL, by adding the two hyphens in front of render

Make sure you back up the file and use Notepad++ to make the changes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

PeterP also has a file download for this in the DCS User Files section.

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

• 5 weeks later...
you have typo here (this is very easy to overlook when editing)

Is there anyway to make a10c work with 3 monitors when the middle one is the primary?

Could this lua file be modified to do that?

Originally Posted by ward8124 viewpost.gif

name = _('3Screen');

Description = 'Configuration with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2048 <====== you have ; missing here

height = 1152;

viewDx = -0; <====== if you want this monitor to display LEFT side of the main camera view you need this to be -1

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7;

},

Center =

{

x = 2048;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7;

},

Right =

{

x = 3968;

y = 0;

width = 2048;

height = 1152;

viewDx = 0; <====== if you want this monitor to display RIGHT side of the main camera view you need this to be 1

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7;

}

}

^^^

nope... the most top/left monitor has to be the primary monitor.

You can physically arrange them any way you like but in windows desktop setup, the main monitor has to be top/left

No longer active in DCS...

^^^

nope... the most top/left monitor has to be the primary monitor.

You can physically arrange them any way you like but in windows desktop setup, the main monitor has to be top/left

Darn. I can't believe with all these configurable lua files you can't tell it one camera is at -1920. :cry:

I have three identical monitors and want things to open by default to the center one (the one in front of me) but because of DCS I have everything opening up on the left most monitor.

Guess I'll just have to configure my monitors so primary is the far left when I want to fly.

Do you know the reason why I can't make a camera display at -1920,0?

I don't know in-depth workings of it so can't help you there... only ED know how they've done it. I think only with new graphics EDGE they are working on, we finally might see issues like this resolved, Sadly customer base that use many monitors is not big so fixing this is not their priority.

No longer active in DCS...

I don't know in-depth workings of it so can't help you there... only ED know how they've done it. I think only with new graphics EDGE they are working on, we finally might see issues like this resolved, Sadly customer base that use many monitors is not big so fixing this is not their priority.

It almost seems like a bug. The display is nothing but a boarder less window so why it matters which monitors is your primary makes no since. Its almost like someone hard coded something in the code for some reason.

Hopefully EDGE will make multi monitor support better but who knows it may end up worse.

Thanks for the input!

At the Moment,i use my 40" Triplescreen in 1Screen Mode with 5840x1080.

Can anyone tell me,what i must write into the 3Cameras.lua to use the 3Screen Mode?

My Monitors are 3 Samsung 40" with 1920x1080 and i use Nvidia Sourround at 5840x1080 with my GeFore Titan.

Can anyone fill out this,with my Informations?

name = _('3 Screen');

Description = 'Configuration with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 3;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 3;

},

Center =

{

x = screen.width / 3;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width * 2 / 3;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

}

}

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

No,then the View is not right with 3 Screens.I use TrackIr to and if i go forwards and backwards in Cockpit ,the Center Monitor don`t match with the other ones.:helpsmilie:

In 1Screen Mode,the View nice,but stretched on the left and right Monitor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Just want to thank the Helios crew and the DCS crew for developing such fine products that work together so excellently. I'm so happy to see that after all of these patches my gauges, touch monitors, and views all still work perfectly.

Thank you teams!!! This is the sign of top-notch products.

PS: Eagle Dynamics please bring Helios on board officially. That would be incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Got MFCD's working on second monitor nice but now main cockpit is warped

As my subject heading suggests I was trying with two monitors to get the mfcd's to appear on the second monitor in my setup, was successful with that but unfortunately now my cockpit appears to be warped and let me describe that in the best way possible with words. The mfcd's are both appearing on the right hand monitor successfully but on my main monitor the normal view you'd see of the cockpit appears to be elongated so that all the instruments are squashed down making for a very narrow view and a small hud. Not sure what demon i conjured up but help would be appreciated. I have attached a screenshot as of the two screens on the right there's no mfcd because the screenshot doesn't register the other screen but on the left the main display you can clearly see it doesn't display the normal cockpit I suppose aspect ratio if you will - it's warped as you can see. here is also attached a lua script file of my monitor setup if that helps.

Cheers

Screen_130515_223207.thumb.jpg.b3f931e0321993e3ecd705275cdd2e5b.jpg

My example.lua

Do you mean the MFD's in you cockpit image on the main screen? If so then there is, look in;

C:\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua

and change line 31 purposes = {--render_purpose.GENERAL, by adding the two hyphens in front of render

Make sure you back up the file and use Notepad++ to make the changes.

I've been fiddling with this lua and cannot get it to work properly. I can stop all mfd from rendering, external monitor mfds off, but not cockpit view off with externals on. I'm assuming it's the "render_purpose.SCREENSPACE_INSIDE_COCKPIT" line that needs to be commented out, but it seems to act exactly like the "render_purpose.SCREENSPACE_OUTSIDE_COCKPIT" line.

I don't get it.

Also, before utilizing these 2 external monitors (Lilliput UM-80/c/t) I have enjoyed >60fps while now I get 20fps! Is this normal? Specs in sig...

EDIT: I figured out the mfd. In windows I had the 2 external monitors set to 16bit color while my main monitor is 32. Would still love help increasing performance though...

Edited by johnv2pt0

Johnv2pt0,

Do you use SoftTH? If not try installing it. It will allow you to run in full screen as opposed to window mode.

I do not use the Lilliputs just a second monitor with SoftTH and I get a pretty steady 60 FPS (I've set my MaxFPS to 60)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to achieve something like this:

dcs_zoomed_viewport_sample.jpg

Where I would have two viewports with different FOV?

So one would be usual and second one is zoomed in?

Any help appreciated, I would like to make some kind of "digital binoculars" and NVG.

Edited by Mnemonic

not possible (AFAIK) with the end-user available options/files.

This needs to place a second view-port (btw: each View-port shares the same point) that has not only a independent rotation , it needs also a independent FOV - but DCS allows this not for end-user customisation - each camera you place in the 'multimonitorsetup.lua' has always the same FOV and it can't be controlled independently - when you change the FOV in one view-port you will change it for all others.

Conclusion : Its very difficult to achieve one static, zoomed in, view-port while the other is freely movable with given options.

Edited by PeterP