Air Refueling - Any tips?

Madman777

Is there any way to change the deadzone/curvature on the fly via a keyboard command or something? This would really help me as I feel my stick is a bit twitchy.

Only if you have a way to do it within the software for your stick, not from within the sim. It can be done with TMs Target software.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Is there any way to change the deadzone/curvature on the fly via a keyboard command or something? This would really help me as I feel my stick is a bit twitchy.

Take a look at this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1474946&postcount=1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I always start to oscillate like crazy when near the tanker. I am fine precontact. It's only once I'm in the contact position. I don't do curves. I just need to practice more than once every few weeks (and avoid scenarios where refuelling is necessary until then)

Hello Pilots!

I'm having great difficultly staying connected. It's possible my hands are not steady enough....or my X52 is not as accurate as it used to be when it was new...I don't know. I just cant seem to stay connected to the tanker for me than a few seconds.

Does anyone have any pointers ? Anything would help.:helpsmilie:

Thanks.

One important aspect is to keep your eyes moving. I zoom back slightly from the "normal" view so the top of the center windshield is about even with the top of my monitor. This allows me to see more of the tankers wings, engines etc to judge and gauge movement.

Gadgets

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Hooked up for the first Time (for five Seconds or so) after doing Practice on AAR for a couple of Hours now. A small Victory, but it let me makes Party now. :D

Keep going, I'm getting there but slowly.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Keep going, I'm getting there but slowly.

Thanks, and good Luck to you also. I have managed two and four Hooks over 5-10 Seconds in the last Trainings. That feels really good, and should be enough for today. :)

Biggest Mistake : That i´ve forgotten to switch the Gate back to READY after Disconnect. In the Heat of Training i simply missed it (like breathing). And after 7-10 missed Connects i saw it. Arrghh! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My System-Specs @ SysProfile

Real Pilots need "No Mark". :D

If the timing in the debriefing log is accurate, I made a 49 secondes hook on my last attempt! It was my forth practice 'session'. On the first, I didn't even open the fuel door LOL frustrating one. On my second session I made 5 to 10 seconds hook. On the third, few 10 seconds and one 36 seconds. And this morning I made my 49 seconds.. after 2-3 attempts.

The thing I had the most difficulties in the begining was the throttle. I realize if I want to get closer I must push a little bit forward and pull back right after.. if you don't pull back throttle soon enough, you will overrun the tube.

I think TM HOTAS is a great help for this! The joystick is very precise and responsive.

..and I desactivate the Track IR, as I read it somewhere in a thread.

Intel i7 920 4.0ghz. MSI GTX 580 Lightning. Dominator DDR3 12 gig. Samsung 24". Logitech G19. Logitech G700. Logitech G930. Logitech G25. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog. Saitek Combat Rudder. TM Cougar MFD. Track IR 5.

I think TM HOTAS is a great help for this! The joystick is very precise and responsive.

When my Tax Payback will aloud it, i will jump on the WH-Train too. I´m flying with a used X52 Pro atm, and there is nearly zero response in the Stick, and the Throttle got a "Gap" while moving back and forward. That makes small Movements extremly difficult.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My System-Specs @ SysProfile

Real Pilots need "No Mark". :D

Jupp the TM HOTAS is my next buy also!

I´ve just got a well paid job - so in a month I´m hopefully in the TM-club aswell. Can´t wait since I now fly with the Logitech X3D :cry:

I have no problems with flying smoothly with it...but the "throttle" should be banned from this earth!

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

• 1 month later...

I tried refueling last night and realized, that the Tanker has several lights under his fuselage. I believe they exist to lead me into the right position for refueling.

But im still unsure how they Work in detail. Couldnt find anything in the Manual about this and i dont know if it has been asked before (there are 240 posts so far and i couldnt read them all) but does anybody know what these lights exactly mean?

They refer to your position forward/aft and up/down of the proper position. But they are mainly intended for use by large aircraft such as bombers and are of no use in the A-10, if you're in the correct position you won't even be able to see them.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

You won't be able to see them with the boom in your face anyway.

The trick is visual references from the tanker. Don't stare at the boom, just hook up, check the image - ie. where are the engines, the wings, the elevators compared to say your canopy, and some of your canopy features?

In the future, always match these visual references and you will always be flying in position. This is the very basis of formation flying.

Forget all the other do-hickeys.

I tried refueling last night and realized, that the Tanker has several lights under his fuselage. I believe they exist to lead me into the right position for refueling.

But im still unsure how they Work in detail. Couldnt find anything in the Manual about this and i dont know if it has been asked before (there are 240 posts so far and i couldnt read them all) but does anybody know what these lights exactly mean?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I've recently noticed when pulling up to the tanker and being completely stable with the boom right there in near perfect position that it refuses to be connected. Is this is an annoying bug or something? I've F2'd and the boom is right there in the hole and not considered in.

Could be this: (only a suggestion - from the manual):

Aerial Refueling

Contact

(...)

4. For successive contacts, you must cycle the aerial refuel system by pressing the refuel/reset button (Nosewheel Steering button) or closing and opening the slipway door.

Could be this: (only a suggestion - from the manual):

Aerial Refueling

Contact

(...)

4. For successive contacts, you must cycle the aerial refuel system by pressing the refuel/reset button (Nosewheel Steering button) or closing and opening the slipway door.

Yep this was the problem. It explains greatly why my first contact with the tanker would go so well, but I would never be able to get it back in afterwards.