Real life JTAC : should humble all of us...

JEFX

HI all!

I dont know if many of you saw this advice from the BIGBOSS (Jim Mack) but he said in some thread that one should definitely read this book :

''Fire strike 7/9'' by Paul Boomer Grahame... it describes the life and work of a real JTAC in the field in Afghanistan. Well, I am reading it now, and I must say that it should make all of us, desk fighters, very humble...

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Strike-7-9-ebook/dp/B003KVKQVE/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_1

And I am not even talking about the danger of death or the shells an bullets coming by... I am talking about the incredible professional skills needed to work in such an environment...

In a way, it is a book about stupid war heroes testosterone, yes (we like that!) but it is also a book about cunning intelligence and fast reflexes, and a relationship with incredibly gifted young pilots!

In the light of flying your favorite A-10C, fumbling with the buttons and switches in the cockpit, making your way with understanding what JTAC wants, SA and attacking the right way, etc... all from a split second perspective...

A very humbling book for the casual simmer...

Thanks JIM!

Jean-Francois

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Not only unavailable to customers in the U.S. but it appears to be Kindle-only. Books for me are still analog.

I have a Kindle and this is definately the first time I have seen this!:(

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I also have a kindle but can not have because I am in Canada. I love these international rules about book purchases...I find this happens quite frequently:(

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0091938066/ref=tmm_hrd_new_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Shipped from the UK. I ordered from the EU. Perhaps it's not available everywhere.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

I agree with you Groove, that there could be more details. Actually, it is a bit repetitive and certainly not litterature... But it is a good insight from real life of what we play with in our simulation...

And I must say, what made me feel so in awe was the work of the pilots!, the rapidity and precision of their reaction, the level of SA needed to follow all those very precise demands... Spotting mere soldiers on foot, in the woods, keeping track of where they are and all, while flying an F-15 or even an A-10C, and lining up for very precise attacks, from very precise azimuth, etc, all in a couple of seconds... They have all my admiration!

Jean-Francois

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

• 6 months later...

It's strange that it has a few errors in it such as GBU-38's being laser guided etc.

Hopefully this can inspire some Combined Arms gameplay.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Placed an order for the hardcover, thank you Sir.

Was a good read, this. Made me appretiate the JTACs in the sim a lot more. The book contains photos taken from the deployment zone about one third into the book and watching the actual faces of the guys and the vehicle they used really immersed me into it :book:

Now we just need a Bommer mod so we can talk crap for hours with the JTAC about Sticky and Upside-Down-Beard :lol:

1. Check-in 15 min

2. Check-in 30 min

3. Check-in 45 min

4. Check-in 60 min

5. Talk shite

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah wasnt much of a fan. Damien Lewis tends to hype the BS too much for my liking. "One man, 180 days, 203 kills" on the cover is the first eye rolling moment. The amount of poor info discredits it a bit as well.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Yeah wasnt much of a fan. Damien Lewis tends to hype the BS too much for my liking. "One man, 180 days, 203 kills" on the cover is the first eye rolling moment. The amount of poor info discredits it a bit as well.

It's an account of his (their) experiences, not an reference manual for flight sim geeks. ;)

Besides, an infantry soldier (JTAC or otherwise) doesn't really need to know/care if a GBU-38 is INS/GPS or LASER guided, all they care about is that it is guided and what the risk estimate distances/effects on target will be. Making it hit the target is the pilots job.

Between all these books, you'll certainly come away with a better understanding of exactly what CAS is actually like in reality, both for the aircrew and the guys on the ground. Much of the stuff that has been done by the guys in these books just couldn't be made up, it's insane. I'm glad I spent my time in the deserts of the world behind the wire getting the jets in the air, rather than in a ditch praying they get over head fast enough.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Absolutely true, and I wouldn't expect a JTAC to know the ins and outs of employing PGMs, (although I disagree with the example you give in that JTACs should know what guidance is being used as frag envelopes and lazing targets is part of their job) but if you are writing a book about it, it doesn't hurt to do a bit of research (I am am talking about Damien Lewis here, the guy who actually puts the pieces together). Not for the sake of a "flight sim geek" community, but for anyone with an interest in modern military ops including the thousands of military personnel the world over that read the book also.

Andy McNab is an example of someone who does this really well in his books IMO.

Between all these books, you'll certainly come away with a better understanding of exactly what CAS is actually like in reality, both for the aircrew and the guys on the ground.

This is the biggest thing I took away from this book and Apache Dawn also. 9 lines and SOPs certainly get chucked out the window pretty quickly. It gives a very good feeling of how intense the battles were despite what was being reported "back home".

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

With International restrictions for the Kindle, you can just use google to find an address in (e.g.) the U.S., input that as one of your address, and when it says you can't buy the Kindle edition, just change geo location as it suggests. Don't know why the author doesn't make it available everywhere, it's only a few clicks. Maybe restrictions by his armed forces.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With International restrictions for the Kindle, you can just use google to find an address in (e.g.) the U.S., input that as one of your address, and when it says you can't buy the Kindle edition, just change geo location as it suggests. Don't know why the author doesn't make it available everywhere, it's only a few clicks. Maybe restrictions by his armed forces.

If Amazon dont want to take your money just google it, not hard to find the mobi.

You dont want Amazon hassling you to prove you live at that address that you clearly are not at.

Edited by spikenet