What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?

csper

What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?  

1729 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?

• I'm so happy thanks ED ! :))
    • I like, but it could be another WW2 plane. :)
    • I dont like P-51D, I want another WW2 plane. :|
    • I want WW2 scenery, not just a WW2 plane!
    • I want Flying Legends series to have only JETs. There is no place WW2 planes at JET's playground! :/
    • I just want ED to make modern aircrafts/helicopters.. :(
    • I want carrier ops!
    • I want two seater cockpit!
    • If Flying Legends will have only ww2 planes, so it has to be independent from moderns..
    • Flying Legends must have helicopters.

From the FAQ (link in my signature):

Q: Will a world war 2 era map be included?

A: No, DCS is an open simulation environment, it is not a simulation of a specific time period.

Q: Will units from the world war 2 era exist, like ME-109's and Ju-87's?

A: That has yet to be determined. While we understand the desire for WW2 counterpart aircraft, DCS is not intended to be a full WW2 era simulation.

Hmmm..

It will be a superb simulation of a ww2 era aircraft, of that I have little doubt, based purely on my observations of BS and a10.

To be flown not in a specific time period or theatre and perhaps not with WW2 era counterparts?

Now dont take this opinion the wrong way, but I think that sounds like an FSX aircraft?

Perhaps I am wrong in my desire for a simulation that suspends disbelief? BS is Russian, the theatre was believable, the deployment plausible. The sim even had me thinking I was Russian. That's good immersion, good suspension of disbelief, well speaking personally. So my thoughts are that if I fly the Mustang in the BS/a10 geographic area, without any time context then I am simulating flight in a WW2 aircraft and not much else?

Appologies here, perhaps I am missing the point?

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appologies here, perhaps I am missing the point?

Cheers.

Will try to give you a explanation...

DCS Flying Legend : P-51D is not meant to be a full aerial WW2 simulation.

DCS Flying Legend : P-51 is meant to be a simulation of the simulated aircraft as detailed as it can get.

Nothing more nothing less.

What you make out of it is up to you.

Hmmm....It will be a superb simulation of a ww2 era aircraft....

For a plane that saw operational duty from March 1944 until retirement from Military service in 1984 and all periods inbetween, how do you manage to get to 'ww2 era' ?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Simple, because the P-51 was a staple aircraft of the WWII campaigns, people associate it ONLY with that war. They don't stop to consider that it may have served in some capacity well into the future.

While the Mustang may have been outclassed in air combat by many of the newer aircraft at the time, as fighters and fighter bombers, the early jet aircraft post-WWII lacked the range to be effective, while the P-51 could still carry on for many miles and attack targets that the jets couldn't. This role, combined with its superb fulfillment of the trainer role, ensured that the Mustang would have a place in the USAF inventory until 1946 when it would be retired from active service. However, many nations continued to use the Mustang in an operational capacity well into the twentieth century, and that should prove to its resilience when compared to many aircraft of the early jet age.

Oh, and just to be clear, when Viper says "Military Service", the last Mustang was retired from global service in 1984, ending its prolonged service with the Dominican armed forces. Not saying that the Dominicans don't have a military, however I just want to avoid the inevitable "he said she said it was in USAF inventory until the 80's!".

And yes Viper, you are a she. Just so you know.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to make this as brief as possible .....

It is indeed an interesting and curious move by DCS to indulge into the WW2 area of flight sims. To date WW2 sims have been well represented by Maddox & Co. and it has a very large fan base. Of course, one can always present an argument to having WW2 aircraft represented with all the bells and whistles. But, if longevity is a concern with DCS, then I think one would have to consider where the market is and where it is going.

I stop by the forum from time to time to see what's new and also, to view the activity levels of users. And to state that it has diminished, would be a understatement.

The biggest question to be asked when dealing with such a niche market {Flight sims} is whether you're presenting a product that will attract fans and increase revenue. It is my belief, {Based on my reaction to the news} that the addition of another WW2 based sim is not earth shattering enough to encourage a purchase. Sure I, like many, will probably want to see it in action, but the desire to use another developer's incarnation of "WW2 in the sky's" is just not that interesting.

I look forward to getting a peek at the offering, just to satisfy my natural curiosity. But secretly, I'll be hoping and wishing for other dev's to come on the scene with products that have an impact.

As an example, when F4 by MicroProse hit the market, it had such an impact that many joined the flight sim community, based on that product alone. That is the impact that is needed again, for I see many simmers getting lost in the sauce of products that only have temporary appeal. It is my opinion, that another WW2 item will not have any significant, long-lasting appeal .... sadly, I might add. WW2 has been done to death exponentially, and this will be represented in the sales of future products.

Best of luck & regards ....

• Like 1

That is one amazing poll... Not that it's unbelievably messy, but if you add all the percentage together, you will come up with 169.37% in total!

Sabotage?:huh:

you can vote for more than 1 option :)

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

That is one amazing poll...

Thats what she said.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm waiting for it like a hooker on steroids, whatever that means... :thumbup::smartass::pilotfly:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Poll makes no sense... Why would you show proportions in percentage, if sum of total is higher than 100? It's like saying "100% of voters said they are happy, but then remaining 372% said they are not"

huh.gif

you can vote for more than 1 option :)

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would you show proportions in percentage, if sum of total is higher than 100?

Cause it is not a single choice poll?

If 50% percent like candies and 60% like icecream, that does not mean, that there are 110%. It means, that there are people, who like candies and icecream.

Edited by ФрогФут

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

What would be pretty nice is if the Flying Legends series goes outside of just WW2 aircraft, and had planes from the 50s and 60s, just think: a F-86 Sabre sim on the DCS level of quality.

+1 as well, although "Flying Legends" seems like a pretty narrow picking of aircraft. If it's TFC based, don't expect any jets at all.

Maybe a new sub series with it's own clever little title?

If 50% percent like candies and 60% like icecream, that does not mean, that there are 110%. It means, that there are people, who like candies and icecream.

You're trying to deceive us! But we know the truth! These all are tricks of Churov the magician! We must put on the white ribbon and go to the meeting!

Коричневые очки никогда не поранят мозг. Они небьющиеся.

Brown-coloured spectacles will never harm a brain. They are unbreakable. (с) Me

сфсвсг

I'm the future of the Russian government.

According to Scott Lofgren,

Bentley Systems global director.

You make no sense. If 50% like candies there can be only 50% or less who likes icecream, as there can only be 100% in total.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You make no sense. If 50% like candies there can be only 50% or less who likes icecream, as there can only be 100% in total.

No.

That would be the case if persons were given the choice to either pick ice-cream or candies.

In this poll, the members are not restricted to one choice alone. They are specifically been told that they can choose both ice-cream and candy: They do not have to forego one in favour of the other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FFS, there is only candies or ice-cream... are you blind? :megalol:

Then there would be 50% who likes candies and 20% who likes both and only 30% who likes ice-cream only... There is only 100% available. Case closed.

No.

That would be the case if persons were given the choice to either pick ice-cream or candies.

In this poll, the members are not restricted to one choice alone. They are specifically been told that they can choose both ice-cream and candy: They do not have to forego one in favour of the other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll try one last time :)

You poll ten people with regard to their preferences for Candy, Ice cream and Crisps. Out of the ten people, it appears that 2 people are allergic to Crisps, one is allergic to Ice Cream and another is allergic to Candy.

Results per vote are as follows (Members are requested to mark the option applicable to them):

1: Preference for Ice Cream, Candy and Crisps

6 votes.

(Original 10 minus 2 allergic to Crisps/1 allergic to Ice-Cream/1 allergic to Candy)

2: Preference for Ice Cream and Candy

8 votes

(Original 10 minus 1 allergic to Ice Cream/minus one allergic to Candy)

3: Preference for Ice Cream and Crisps

7 votes

(Original 10 minus 1 allergic to Ice Cream/minus two allergic to Crisps)

4: Preference for Candy and Crisps

7 votes

(Original 10 minus 1 allergic to Candy/minus two allergic to Crisps)

Conclusion:

10 members polled / 28 votes cast.

In the above example, just because 6 out of ten members prefer Candy, Ice Cream and Crisps does not mean that they are 60% of the poll. On the contrary, the result amounts to 21.4% of the poll.

End result expressed as a percentage:

Members preference for Ice Cream, Candy and Crisps - 21.4%

Members preference for Ice Cream and Candy - 28.6%

Members preference for Ice Cream and Crisps - 25%

Members preference for Candy and Crisps - 25%

Total - 100%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

50% candies + 20% both = 70%

30% ice-cream + 20% both = 50%

50% + 70% = 120%

Long live Mr. Churov! :)

FFS, there is only candies or ice-cream... are you blind? :megalol:

Then there would be 50% who likes candies and 20% who likes both and only 30% who likes ice-cream only... There is only 100% available. Case closed.

Edited by Lemon Lime

Коричневые очки никогда не поранят мозг. Они небьющиеся.

Brown-coloured spectacles will never harm a brain. They are unbreakable. (с) Me

сфсвсг

I'm the future of the Russian government.

According to Scott Lofgren,

Bentley Systems global director.

Right...so, according to Mr. Churov:

70% (Candies + both) = candies + candies + ice-cream... wow... then you forgot to add 50% candies + 30% ice-cream = 80% + 120% ((Candies + candies + ice-cream) + (ice-cream + ice-cream + candies)) = 200% Long live Mr. Churov! (P.S. can he do the same with my money?) please :cry: I wanna buy Track IR5...and a magic chair...

50% candies + 20% both = 70%

30% ice-cream + 20% both = 50%

50% + 70% = 120%

Long live Mr. Churov! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mate, you're blind... there is no crisps! Jesus Crist mon... oh... I'm gettind tired... Going to kill some tanks or something...

Who are you anyway, leave me alone :smilewink: you are not real, go away!

See! No crisps!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If 2 people are inside a car and three get out, one has to get back in so the car is empty. Gotta love math.

...and the one that gets back in the car likes ice cream and has red hair.:D

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: