What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?

csper

What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?  

1729 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?

• I'm so happy thanks ED ! :))
    • I like, but it could be another WW2 plane. :)
    • I dont like P-51D, I want another WW2 plane. :|
    • I want WW2 scenery, not just a WW2 plane!
    • I want Flying Legends series to have only JETs. There is no place WW2 planes at JET's playground! :/
    • I just want ED to make modern aircrafts/helicopters.. :(
    • I want carrier ops!
    • I want two seater cockpit!
    • If Flying Legends will have only ww2 planes, so it has to be independent from moderns..
    • Flying Legends must have helicopters.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im guessing the turn around time for a 3rd party mod based group to implement a functional piece of flyable content is around 3-4 months panzertard ? finished model, texttures, physics and sound. bar any crazy systems requiring adaptation.. what you reckon?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

im guessing the turn around time for a 3rd party mod based group to implement a functional piece of flyable content is around 3-4 months panzertard ? finished model, texttures, physics and sound. bar any crazy systems requiring adaptation.. what you reckon?

A complete aircraft from scratch? FM and everything, in three to four months by how many people?

My guess for a small team would be double that as an absolute minimum. Adapting existing work might be another story though.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

tbh, I have no idea. I guess it all comes down to experience, tools & documentation other factors. And passion - we know these guys are burning for showing off their fancy stuff ;)

I think I've heard other software companies estimate something like "you can do 80% of the code in 20% of the time, the remaining 80% of the time you spend debuggin, fixing & QA it".

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

• ED Team
A complete aircraft from scratch? FM and everything, in three to four months by how many people?

My guess for a small team would be double that as an absolute minimum. Adapting existing work might be another story though.

10 people x 2 years from scratch

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

While I like the Mustang, and honestly I will probably be excited about pretty much any study-sim level aircraft they introduce, I worry that ED is spreading itself a bit thin with the Flying Legends stuff, and that the DCS landscape risks becoming a bit scatter shot. If I had my way, in a perfect world, I'd want an east and west equivalent for each type of aircraft (an Apache for a Blackshark, a Su-25 for an A-10, a MiG for a Falcon) before moving into other types of historic aircraft.

However, if third-party aircraft become more common, and are at the same level of excellence as EDs efforts so far, this will become a moot point.

• 1 month later...

Dear Wags: Summary

After 6 months, the picture is clear:

Top 3 answers to the question

"What do you think about P-51D and Flying Legends?"

are:

1. 43,95% answered "I just want ED to make modern aircrafts/helicopters..!"

2. 31,57% answered "I'm so happy thanks ED"

3. 27,21% answered "I want carrier ops!"

I voted against the P-51, which was credited by a negative rep by Wags.

• Like 1

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

I wonder if the result would be the same if you re-did the pole now, DCS: P51 seems to be held in pretty high regard now people have gotten used to the idea of classic aircraft in the DCS world, this can only improve as similar products are released down the line....

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

are:

But if you combine all the options that want to see some form of WWII plane in DCS (first 4 options) dont you end up with 57.78% that want WWII fighters? :)

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

I think many that were not happy to start would change there minds after flying the P-51

She is great and I have had hours of fun already, the more aircraft of any type is a bonus in my eyes and all of them are worth waiting patiently for :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think the P-51 is great. But I feel that it is some kind of 'dead'. I want to see more servers with the P-51. Both fast and funny dogfight servers and serious missions.

I still think that DCS world could become very popular as a WW2 sim if they create a WW2 world around it (models, maps, missions etc).

Something must happen to make this beauty more 'mainstream'. :noexpression:

'Frett'

TurboHog is right. I was also sceptical, but I finally bought the Mustang and I love it.

A WWII setting with a study-sim approach is most simmer's wet dream. I really hope ED does not drop the ball on this one. I said many times here and there and I'll say it again - make a WWII setting, an Axis fighter (Fw-190 D9 is my favourite here) and you'll be rolling in dough.

I have to admit , I have read a lot of books and stories regarding the fighter pilots of WWI and WWII. Trying to fly the old prop war birds was fun and easy in the old flight sims ( European air wars, mostly) I never really considered all the details that went into flying and fighting in with the "old School" stuff until now, who modeled engine torque effect on take off before now? Think of all the details we missed out on.

The jets seem so simple to get off the ground and fly, it's the avionics and weapons system that make it a chore.

Would love to see more of the old war birds, it gives me greater respect for the pilots that braved the skies and basically fought face to face and knife to knife not beyond visual range.

The P-51 is indeed a "Flying Legend" as well as the pilots who flew them gracefully.

I love it. Keep it up guy's I am sure if more people took the time to understand the words " Flying Legends" they would understand that another front to study sims and air combat is opening up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] CPIAS FOR Saitek:

Saitek Flight instrument panels and X-52 pro mfd scripts for Dcs

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94174

who modeled engine torque effect on take off before now?

IL-2 Sturmovik did, and contrary to what most people write here, I'd say the feel of the Mustang in DCS and IL-2 is comparable (if you take the age of the latter into account as well as the fact that it's not a study sim). However, IL-2 is dying and Cliffs of Dover is DOA. The King is dead, long live the King is the lore. So again, I hope DCS has a serious go at that throne.

are:

For me, all 3 statements are correct, as is typical with most polls.

I have the P-51D but I am not fartin' around with uninstalling / reinstalling each beta as the next revision comes out. I already paid for it. I will wait until the final release comes out.

I'm doing Black Shark as my main ride; and the Stallturn server's jet aircraft for FS2 and also I just purchased the Superbug for FSX. Black Shark works just fine on the Stallturn server without any need for additional patches---I HAVE carrier ops already through FC2.

They need either a FW-190 or an Me-109 to fight against the P-51D. Nobody wants to dogfight WWII, except the 1st week it came out, so I am doing something else. The P-51D here is great, but in the MMORPG Aces High, the engine has more torque.

Edited by ErichVon

They need either a FW-190 or an Me-109 to fight against the P-51D. Nobody wants to dogfight WWII, except the 1st week it came out, so I am doing something else.

this is far to true... and a damn shame to be honest. randoms visiting our server wondering why nobody else is flying it, it is quite depressing and lonely yet encouraging to have such a small knit community that actually flys it and wants to fly it.

and just so ironic because its the most immediate hands on fun DCS ever had.

its also caught between a rock and a hard place now too. so we reckon nevada is next. whats afterwards.... what ever it is it will provide discontent to one faction or the other. personally the p51 is so magnificent it needs support as a priority over any new modern jets. but that in itself is the discontent for most.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

this is far to true... and a damn shame to be honest. randoms visiting our server wondering why nobody else is flying it, it is quite depressing and lonely yet encouraging to have such a small knit community that actually flys it and wants to fly it.

and just so ironic because its the most immediate hands on fun DCS ever had.

its also caught between a rock and a hard place now too. so we reckon nevada is next. whats afterwards.... what ever it is it will provide discontent to one faction or the other. personally the p51 is so magnificent it needs support as a priority over any new modern jets. but that in itself is the discontent for most.

Im probably one of the randoms as we discussed the matter yesterday on teamspeak.

A shame it is...

(Frett)

'Frett'

Nevada will be awesome for something like air racing (Reno, baby!). But still, in a combat-sim (and DCS does have combat in it), I think we need an Axis counterpart. I vote 190 D-9 since it would be comparable. Me-109 was the workhorse but not really a match for the P-51. The late versions (G and K) are considered desperate efforts to go on the cheap side of things.

Anyone 'official' on board to at least confirm or deny if the "Flying Legends" thing was not a one-off?

:edit: Also, one argument for more WWII planes - while ED's sims are modern age focused, the main reason that is keeping some new people from DCS is the complication level. Even with the study approach, it's less for WWII birds, than modern jets. I was never able to get around Falcon, I am quite good with the Ka-50 and a noob in the A-10, but the Mustang took me about two hours to learn to fly... Something to keep in mind.

Edited by mmaruda

So, if we assume, that remaining options doesn't want WWII "flying buckets", you'll get 113.79%

But if you combine all the options that want to see some form of WWII plane in DCS (first 4 options) dont you end up with 57.78% that want WWII fighters? :)

Edited by Peyoteros
  • Like 1

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In poll like this one, there can NOT be a multiple choices. There must be a multiple polls. Poll looses sense if you get more than 100% in total.

CNN REPORTED "The person, who sustained severe 3 degree burns, which covered 93% of his body was released from hospital earlier today. Man said, it was a miracle and he is very lucky to get away with this minor injury as the remaining 1725% of body was covered with wet cloths and remained unharmed." :huh:

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i think im going to resign my thoughts to understanding that the P-51 whilst now seems not so popular, but in the future where it has complimentary effects such as other warbirds, appropriate scenery and or ww2 mission editor assets, it'll be a whole new thing.

Accepted and judged a bit differently..the poll is good imo, and not actually a problem, just usefull information about the general trends and through a transitions to other radical ideas. there are many that would like to change there vote towards the p-51 in the aftermath of release and initial contributions to the poll so all is good.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]