The situation with the servers is just ridiculous

The following screenshot was taken Today at 9:00 p.m. (CET) and was edited, because servers listing takes two screens with my screen resolution:

N33wx.png

Pic. 1: As you can see there are 30 servers online, 25 of them are passworded (83%) and 5 are not (17%). All of those 5 servers have a ping greater than 200 ms.

I was wanted to play a MP game, and found that there was absolutely zero servers were available with ping less than 200ms and password OFF. Seriously ED? I really like this sim and it's really great. I also like to play with people over the Internet, but such things like this shows us how how much is it needed to have a free dedicated server software, which is allows players to freely setup their own server without buying the game license and having a computer with a video card and monitor (non-GUI).

Situation will change when MP becomes stable.

What exactly do you mean ..... not trying to be smart , but I dont understand your comment .

:)

I noticed that a lot of squads keep their server private , but are often on every other server too , when their up ..... maybe a little unfair .

You can always check in with the squadrons TS and ask for their server password, the 74th for example have their pw displayed as welcome message when you join their TS.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The server pings depend on who puts them up.

One thing that could help is if people shared mission files. At least the one's they aren't using any more. That would allow more people with good connections to post a server. Creating missions isn't something that everyone is good at.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I was wanted to play a MP game, and found that there was absolutely zero servers were available with ping less than 200ms and password OFF. Seriously ED? I really like this sim and it's really great. I also like to play with people over the Internet, but such things like this shows us how how much is it needed to have a free dedicated server software, which is allows players to freely setup their own server without buying the game license and having a computer with a video card and monitor (non-GUI).

ED does not govern the passwording of servers. That is the server admins' responsibility. I would personally agree with you: There is no good reason for passwording a server that cannot also be attended to by other means and still keep the server public. Be that as it may, again, it's got nothing to do with ED - Your beef lies with the server admins.

You can also set up your own server if and when you want via the Multiplayer interface - a seperate licence is not required.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Also, its quite playable up to 350ms of ping. The worst problem here is that there is not enought populated servers around anymore.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

What exactly do you mean ..... not trying to be smart , but I dont understand your comment .

:)

I noticed that a lot of squads keep their server private , but are often on every other server too , when their up ..... maybe a little unfair .

We had three 24/7 servers online in january. 2 are offline now and 1 is still running but not with DCS.

Too many server and client crashes.

It's funny...I keep hearing about all these server crashes but our DedicatedServer in the 476th has been up and stable for well over a week.

The other thing is looking through that list as always many servers drop off the list after time, haven't figured why on that one either.

First question would be where are you in the world? My best guess is you are European and the only public servers seem to be hosted either in the US or Australia.

But yeah, the 3Sqn server was online at the time of your screenshots, but due to that lovely bug the server will simply disappear from the list. Although it is still visible when you click history and if you've joined it in the past... still kinda annoying though.

Edited by Grimes

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

It's funny...I keep hearing about all these server crashes but our DedicatedServer in the 476th has been up and stable for well over a week.
With no map change then.

What exactly do you mean ..... not trying to be smart , but I dont understand your comment.
MP serveres can easely crash if open and players can drop whatewer bombs and stuff. That make an enourmous admin task to be filled to ceep the server up running. When the MP is more stable more serveres will be open for all users I guess. At least mine will :D

(HJ)

Don't take offense...I didn't say it isn't happening, I said I haven't seen it...we've had upwards of 10 people on a server flying both the 50 and 10 and no crash. The mission reloads every 16 hours, have disabled selecting other missions because we know this causes crashes....

Some people I consider friends have seen it on their servers, I just haven't seen it on our DS.

Good to see the AEF is in the list!

Only crashes I have seen so far have been AAA related ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] AEF Flesh | 161 SQN

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

Don't get too hung up on ping times. We regularly have people with pings in the 300-500ms range and there's no issues. I think the weirdness is more dependent on the reliability of the path between the client and the server; I watched some warping all over the place despite having a very constant and relatively low ping. Personally, I don't think the ping time is a useful metric. It might matter more if you're doing PvP, of course.

Stability definitely seems to be mission-related. I think there's certain events that can cause a server crash if they occur in a particular way; but trying to pin down the exact circumstances is difficult. The most recent crash I had didn't even produce a .crash logfile; as far as I could tell, it occurred after a tank exploded on a bridge (it was stuck there with several other units due to the pathfinding 'issues' :D). The bridge then exploded and immediately it happened - no more server. Actually reproducing this one is difficult, since obviously the game doesn't crash every time you blow something up that happens to be on a bridge. And of course there's the possibility that the crash was caused by something else happening elsewhere and had nothing at all to do with the events I happened to be watching!

Generally I just try to avoid running complex missions - although it's hard to define what 'complex' is. 'The Playground' which is usually active on the AEF's server has triggers to set the ROE of various groups and to spawn additional tankers, but it's pretty much rock solid (at least on the server). I've seen it running for over 8 hours without issue. It automatically restarts the mission if all the clients leave, so that was 8 hours of continuous use by a variety of clients that were coming and going, using both aircraft, without any problems (aside from the scenario not really having 8 hours' worth of content...).

Earlier today i noticed the 76th had their server up for a little while :D

That is one mission that have run, no map changes. Awesome uptime :thumbup:

I will test reloading the same mission as paulrkiii does and see if server then is more stable.

(HJ)

Well it seems the server stays up if you use the mission editor “load” feature to reload the same mission. But that does not fix the error with disappearing from the server list. A server that is not in the server list will not bring many new players to the server. The server appears if browsing the recent server list.

(HJ)

Server keeps disappearing from the server master list still :( Anyone solved this or any confirmation that this is a bug?

(HJ)

It's a hard one to pin down thats for sure, i've reported this to the ED devs so it remains to be seen if this is something that could be fixed on their end.

Thing is though, yesterday i saw one server on the main list that had been up for over 50 hours and it hadn't been relegated to the history page, i wondered what settings that server used?

edit: just checked a moment ago and the "Crimsonflag" server has been on for nearly a day without disappearing....might be either some setting in the router or the ISP thats the key to this?

bDzuN.jpg

Edited by Mustang