To little smoke?

The smoke effects have been updated and improved with the explosions. Different units produce different amounts of smoke for varying lengths of time.

Hopefully the old Hollywood thick, black, one size fits all smoke won't be coming back, ever, and the current effects will continue to improve.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

The smoke effects have been updated and improved with the explosions. Different units produce different amounts of smoke for varying lengths of time.

Hopefully the old Hollywood thick, black, one size fits all smoke won't be coming back, ever, and the current effects will continue to improve.

Uh, of course I want the current ones to improve. while it's good that different units produce different amount of smoke I am saying that it's producing way too little. Right now in game a truck burns for about one minute, it is put out before you are able to do another run at a column. When the difference between a burning vehicle in game can be measured in how many hours it has been on fire then we can begin talking about setting different burn lengths. Right now it's just a game limitation.

Also stop accusing everything that has to do with effects of being "hollywood", the old effects where not too far off from a burning vehicle and looked way better than what we have now.

Hopefully the old Hollywood thick, black, one size fits all smoke won't be coming back, ever,

?

2strykers1burning.jpg pict43.jpg

burning-vehicle-2_789354i.jpg _51757020_011576275-1.jpg

It's always thick, black smoke.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Also stop accusing everything that has to do with effects of being "hollywood", the old effects where not too far off from a burning vehicle and looked way better than what we have now.

I tell ya what, when we reach a time where not every vehicle explodes and some produce lots of smoke, some very little and others don't burn at all I will do. Until then it's exactly what we have, every single vehicle burning with thick black smoke for as long as they did in previous versions is not realistic in any way shape or form, what we have now is much closer to reality, but we still have a way to go.

It's always thick, black smoke.

See above. The colour of smoke is not the issue, although it isn't always black, as with everything it depends WHAT is burning, but varied colours is not something I think we'll see for a very long time (maybe in a decade when today's gaming rigs are as powerful as smartphones ;)). The main issue is that not everything burns all the time as in the sim. When we reach the point that you often can't tell is a ground unit is dead or not, I'll be happy.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I tell ya what, when we reach a time where not every vehicle explodes and some produce lots of smoke, some very little and others don't burn at all I will do. Until then it's exactly what we have, every single vehicle burning with thick black smoke for as long as they did in previous versions is not realistic in any way shape or form, what we have now is much closer to reality, but we still have a way to go.

Fire should look like fire, that is what this thread is about.

I welcome any change towards, tracking gauges targeting dead things/not everything is set on fire but that is not what this thread is about. There is absolutely nothing improved by having bad fire effects with what you are trying to argue for so I suggest you make a different thread.

Fire should look like fire, that is what this thread is about.

I welcome any change towards, tracking gauges targeting dead things/not everything is set on fire but that is not what this thread is about. There is absolutely nothing improved by having bad fire effects with what you are trying to argue for so I suggest you make a different thread.

But the point is, the fire effects are better than they were previously.

1.1.1.1 - old style flames & smoke

dcs2012-05-1214-55-52-36.jpg

1.1.2.1 - new flames & smoke

dcs2012-05-1214-58-29-10.jpg

Spoiler

I tell ya what, when we reach a time where not every vehicle explodes and some produce lots of smoke, some very little and others don't burn at all I will do.

*snip*

The main issue is that not everything burns all the time as in the sim. When we reach the point that you often can't tell is a ground unit is dead or not, I'll be happy.

I totally agree. The unit damage modeling needs to be redone at some point. It's very generic as of yet.

maybe in a decade when today's gaming rigs are as powerful as smartphones ;)
I assume you meant to say "smartphones being as powerful as todays gaming rigs" ;)

Not gonna lie, this particular issue is pretty low on my list of cares. All the same, I like the new effects in the sim. It would be cool if vehicles didn't always explode and instead just burned or if there were a series of additional explosions after a vehicle was attacked (rounds cooking off). In general I agree with the black smoke though. Oil burns black, and it burns for awhile before it goes out. If anything it should burn for a longer period of time, but to be honest, I'm happy with the sim's damage/explosions/burning as is.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actualy, you can enlarge your smoke and burning time as you wish at \DCS World\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\FireVehicle.lua

That's awesome, didn't know that. :thumbup:

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For what it's worth, I also think smoke doesn't last long enough, or go high enough. Much prefer the way it is now in A-10c.

It is a beta though so hopefully it will change - A10 went through lots of smoke variations during the beta. (actually even after the beta, I think).

The new explosions don't look right at all; they make it look like a whole lot of thick black smoke was there before the explosion; and all the smoke that the explosion pushes outwards is just as thick as the rest; which looks wrong.

some people edit in windows notepad , but its best to edit it in http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Actually AFAIK there's a risk you'll brake a config file editing it using a regular notepad instead of "a proper" text editor like Npp (UTF compliance?).

ZMEY-HS-'s Smoke Mod:

Before:

87e6e033.png

e959787a.png

After:

2979bb05.png

bc03f425.png

ec05a002.png

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

now if we could get some of that smoke to drift over the landscape would be great as well.

Like this?

2d6a3912.jpg

df37d8cb.jpg

Add Wind :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A bit more visible smoke would do for the current beta version of World. In A10C and BS2 we sometimes mark target groups for eachother. "Targets are marked by black smoke" - if you know what I mean.

The current effects aren't visible at all. In fact, the black smoke cloud is smaller than a smoke marker. That can't be realistic right?

'Frett'

Actualy, you can enlarge your smoke and burning time as you wish at \DCS World\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\FireVehicle.lua

Awesome smoke mod! By the way which Su-25T cockpit mod do you use? I really like that russian HD version, definietly not ricardo's.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65869&d=1336849082

"Fighters make movies, bombers make history."

Awesome smoke mod! By the way which Su-25T cockpit mod do you use? I really like that russian HD version, definietly not ricardo's.

Interesting, looks like a hybrid of RICARDO's pit (the US pilot reflection in the shkval is a dead giveaway) and someone elses work.