DTAC Terrain Development

rockwelder

So are the trees collision models?

No. Just the textures have been changed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. I know where you got that texture from. :D Looks good.

When you know you've been modding waaay too long... :D

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

dtac2.jpg

dtacc.jpg

Link to DTAC Hires Trees with no grass textures for current tree models. This is the best I can do for now until I get some tools and assistance from ED.

Link to DTAC Ground Textures

INSTRUCTIONS : Back up the .zip files mentioned below before you do anything (if you have backed up once prior to initially modifying these files then this all that is required). Place each season texture in its proper .zip file. Located in the C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures. When asked to replace and overwrite do so.

LandTexturesSpringOther

LandTexturesSummerOther

LandTexturesWinterOther

LandTexturesAutumnOther

Just a little question: how do you get that neat bump effect in your ground textures? In my version it looks all flat. Any Idea? Thanks in advance and really nice job on those trees.

Greets

Demon

EDIT: Sorry, haven't read the whole thread. Its clear now. Tahnks anyway for the great Mod!!!

Edited by -=Demon=-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Founder of the -=VDS=-

:pilotfly:

Hi guys,looking for a little help with this please. :)

OK, from what I understand, after downloading I have to put the relevant texture into the same zip file, ie: summer/winter, etc.

I have Winrar but when I try to add the file to archive it won't let me.

I tried unpacking the archive, adding the texture and re-packing but that just let me fly around with missing texture emblazoned on the ground. :(

Is there a certain way to go about this, a certain version of Winrar?

It is only the free version I have does that matter?

I appreciate any advice, maybe the steps to take as I obviously am doing something wrong.

Just now I am right clicking the texture file and selecting "add to archive" and try to add it to the relevant zip file in,

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures

But as I say it gives me an error saying something like "cannot add to archive" or along those lines.

Cheers guys,

Mick. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Hi 3stein,

i personally do not use winrar, better 7 zip. It opens everything.

Open the archive summerothers or so and rockwelders archive just drag and paste and let overwrite the files

but dont forget to make a backup first!!!!

Hope this helps

S!

LC

OK, from what I understand, after downloading I have to put the relevant texture into the same zip file, ie: summer/winter, etc.

I tried unpacking the archive, adding the texture and re-packing but that just let me fly around with missing texture emblazoned on the ground. :(

I appreciate any advice, maybe the steps to take as I obviously am doing something wrong.

Just now I am right clicking the texture file and selecting "add to archive" and try to add it to the relevant zip file in,

But as I say it gives me an error saying something like "cannot add to archive" or along those lines.

Cheers guys,

The problem is not Winrar but Windows' UAC.

Launch Winrar in administrator mode and it will be fine.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try again,

Cheers,

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Just tried again for the bloody umpteenth time and still just get missing texture emblazoned everywhere when I fly. :(

I tried with 7zip, and winrar to no avail,

I tried opening the zip, copying/paste texture file/overwrite existing and re-zipped,still nowt.

It won't let me add to archive for some reason, pulling hair out now. :)

Think I will give this a bye for now. :(

Mick.

Lemme just say these are fantastic... CAS work feels so much more alive now, and vehicles actually seem to stick out more.

More than anything, though, the new up-close noise texture really makes everything seem more like real ground.

I have to ask about the "r_for_t" textures, though - Are those actually supposed to be alternate default tiles, with little hedgerows and things? The stock "r_for_t" is just a translucent fuzzy dark green carpet to pick out a forest at a distance, but with the new ones they're essentially blended into the rest of the terrain and the physical trees seem to materialize out of nowhere as you approach.

I switched the "r_for_t"s back to the stock, and am going to try the new ones as default ground textures just to see what happens and how it tessellates, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed or had any thoughts on this.

Anyway, fantastic work, and I can't wait to see what other pieces of soil you can transform.

Edited by Frogisis

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

works awesome I made a JSGME Version :thumbup:

how do I send it to the ED usser forum down loads? never mind its over 800mb I guess yall have to make one your self.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Cheers guys,

Hey Mick,

well I try my best to help, but the other pilots already told ya what to do. Here it works like a charm. Ok this is what I did and it worked:

1. Open the Rar or Zip File you downloaded from Rockwelder

(you should now see the the inventory of the zip file with the folders like Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter)

2. Open the corresponding file in the DCS folder which is on your machine: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures\LandTexturesAutumnOther.zip. You will see a lot of dds files inside that zip

3. Now open the Fall folder in the zipfile from Rockwelder and you will see the r_for.tga.dds

4. place the two zip windows (Rockwelders and the original one from the DCS directory) next to each other and drag and drop the dds file from Rockwelder into the DCS zip file and confirm the copy procedure.

Repeat Step 1 to 4 for each season. they are as follows:

Rockwelder / DCS:

Fall / LandTexturesAutumnOther.zip

Spring / LandTexturesSpringOther.zip

Summer / LandTexturesSummerOther.zip

Winter / LandTexturesWinterOther.zip

I hope that helps. If it still wont work...well...:huh::book: then I have no other Idea

Hope that helps and good luck

Cheers

Demon

Edited by -=Demon=-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Founder of the -=VDS=-

:pilotfly:

Are there any YouTube demo videos?

I don't think anyone has made one. Just give it a shot, it is really nice. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have to ask about the "r_for_t" textures, though - Are those actually supposed to be alternate default tiles, with little hedgerows and things? The stock "r_for_t" is just a translucent fuzzy dark green carpet to pick out a forest at a distance, but with the new ones they're essentially blended into the rest of the terrain and the physical trees seem to materialize out of nowhere as you approach.

I switched the "r_for_t"s back to the stock, and am going to try the new ones as default ground textures just to see what happens and how it tessellates, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed or had any thoughts on this.

This is one thing that sticks out bad with this mod, I can't stand losing the dark patches around forested areas it just looks wrong - otherwise this is an amazing piece of work :)

here I made a JSGME version trying to seed now

http://tinyurl.com/bttebop

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Hey Mick,

well I try my best to help, but the other pilots already told ya what to do. Here it works like a charm. Ok this is what I did and it worked:

1. Open the Rar or Zip File you downloaded from Rockwelder

(you should now see the the inventory of the zip file with the folders like Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter)

2. Open the corresponding file in the DCS folder which is on your machine: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures\LandTexturesAutumnOther.zip. You will see a lot of dds files inside that zip

3. Now open the Fall folder in the zipfile from Rockwelder and you will see the r_for.tga.dds

4. place the two zip windows (Rockwelders and the original one from the DCS directory) next to each other and drag and drop the dds file from Rockwelder into the DCS zip file and confirm the copy procedure.

Repeat Step 1 to 4 for each season. they are as follows:

Rockwelder / DCS:

Fall / LandTexturesAutumnOther.zip

Spring / LandTexturesSpringOther.zip

Summer / LandTexturesSummerOther.zip

Winter / LandTexturesWinterOther.zip

I hope that helps. If it still wont work...well...:huh::book: then I have no other Idea

Hope that helps and good luck

Cheers

Demon

Thanks very much for the explanation Demon,

This is exactly what I did and it just gave me a ground with the red/yellow "missing texture" effect.

I have tried numerous times taking my time between steps to make sure I'm doing it right but no cigar. :(

I will try the JSGME version from Mastiff and see if that works. LOL what a palaver,heh,heh.

Cheers guys,

Jeez,Well that'l be that I suppose. :(

@Mastiff,

I D/L the UTorrent thingy but it will not execute, says "it is not compatible with my version of Windows"?

I'm on Win 7 64bit.

I think all this is trying to tell me something, I'm kinda superstitious that way. :)

Mick.

Edited by 3instein

what the utorrent or the win rar?

sounds like your UAC is over-riding you?

I made this with win7 64 bit full updated.

This is one thing that sticks out bad with this mod, I can't stand losing the dark patches around forested areas it just looks wrong - otherwise this is an amazing piece of work :)

The next versions will have alternative choices. Mixing and matching terrain will be like choosing what to wear. The user always get what he wants:).

So if I darken down the forest floor a bit it might help?

I'm going to try and monkey with the mipmaps to alter the way the trees look at distance...

Edited by rockwelder

what the utorrent or the win rar?

sounds like your UAC is over-riding you?

I made this with win7 64 bit full updated.

Yeah it was the torrent that wouldn't execute, it D/L no problem but when I double clicked it to execute, no joy.?

After all t6he bloody hassle I've been having with this, no doubt it's me.