Smaller sun for DCS World

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made a recent adjustment for the sky.fx regarding fog rendering from high altitude, the screenshots will speak for themselves - would you like to add this to the package PeterP?

EDIT: to anyone who downloaded the attached file in the past 24 hours - please download again, there was a small problem with fog at ground level which has now been corrected.

stock

U9tsj.jpg

corrected

1q71h.jpg

Edited by Mustang

Thanks Mustang - I will incorporate it in "Realistic Sun 1.2.2"

But please give me some time - will also have look how to tone down the sun reflection at the water a little bit.

I hope you don't mind when this will take some time -as it is not "so" pressing and there are up to now not so many fast-movers in this altitude operating in DCS-World.

:)

btw:

would you like to add this to the package PeterP?

The more important question is if ED will in-cooperate these changes ?!:)

EDIT: Will not include your latest changes to the Sky.fx as it changes significant the look of the sky/behaviour of the HDR when the camera position is near sea level. I think its more important to have a coherent look near the ground as in high altitudes.

Edited by PeterP

+++New version+++

Realistic Sun 1.2.2 release candidate 1

see attachment of this post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1526362&posted=1#post1526362

Changes of 1.2.1 to 1.2.2:

Includes Mustangs Sky.fx changes and reduced water sun reflection

changes also the default DCS World theme to reflect the change:

Screen_120819_130727.png

as you can see its tagged "release candidate 1" - so please provide feedback ! :) I will try to in-cooperate your sugestions if possibile.

one notice ahead:

No - I'm not able to change the reflection parameters to be different at daytime and toned down at dusk/dawn. It's all or nothing (AFAIK).

Wanna have a try yourself?

>>> I edited in the BazarshaderswaterwaterEffect.fx

line #372:

sIn.fLightPower = 0.5; //default: 2.0 - water reflection of the sun

Edited by PeterP

Great stuff. Glad you found that reflection parameter, Peter.

Yep, big TY.

Rep+ gone. :thumbup:

ps.: original "sun on water" reflection wasn't so bad, but was too wide for your smaller diameter sun - now the new reflection is less wider but less longer also

This mod would be perfect with old "strong" reflection with old lenght but with new width (narrower) :smilewink: :idea: :sorcerer:

• Like 1

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Yep, big TY.

Rep+ gone. :thumbup:

ps.: original "sun on water" reflection wasn't so bad, but was too wide for your smaller diameter sun - now the new reflection is less wider but less longer also

This mod would be perfect with old "strong" reflection with old lenght but with new width (narrower) :smilewink: :idea: :sorcerer:

Realistic Sun 1.2.2 Release candidate 3 is up.

Download the attachment >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1526362#post1526362

change log:

+raised the "reflection trail" on water(see post above)

+added toned down sun reflection also for lakes/rivers

+ added Mustang's corrected sky.fx of post 152.

Edited by PeterP

Great work PeterP. After installing it I got the shaking when zooming all the way out. I did a short video.

I thought I saw someone else having the same problem earlier, is there a fix?

(HJ)

first:

Try to change the HDR value like I describe in my post. - this seems not to be the exact same bug Corrigan has reported - he had the flicker also when not zoomed out .

Your "bug" seems to be triggered by the HDR being in a state that it not knows if to darken or lighten the scene as the sun disks get smaller when zoomed out .

There is not much I can do about it. When I make the sun bigger the flicker disappears but than you also can revert back to the old/default sun.

as I wrote:

This mod purpose is not to take "nice pictures" in the first place -

It's to provide you the most realistic look while in cockpit and moving through the air...

preferable at a FOV between 60° to 90°

second:

If you want me to have a deeper look -

please report with a track and your in-game settings/system specs. when you experience similar behaviours.

Third:

PM'ed with Mustang - and now "Release candidate 3" is up.

>>>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1526362#post1526362

+ added Mustang's corrected sky.fx of post 152. (seems Mustang needs a air-condition :D)

Edited by PeterP

Actually, that looks exactly like the bug I and others have reported. Read the last pages for more info.

Didn't you got it also when zoomed in/in between max-min?

Up to now I know that three people have this at specific conditions when zoomed out:

BigfootMSR, AceKng1 and HiJack - and I don't have the used settings or a track of them.

I have it also myself - but I have to go beyond 140° on a Tripplehead setup.

I only know of one person that has this also "in between". - that is you - and I cant reproduce it.

- I also had a Nvidia 480 GTX for tests installed yesterday - I did run your track at all kind of settings and made also my own settings and wasn't able to reproduce it.

I'm sorry - I also want to stop it for you. But I don't know how.

Edit:

Corrigian, I gave you all info which values are responsible for the HDR/Sun zise - did you made use of this and changed them to make your own tests ?

Edited by PeterP

Sure, we may not be getting it at exactly the same interval, but I can easily modify my HDR setting so that I only get it when fully zoomed out. His interval of flickering (like in my drawing) is just right at the back. Trust me, it's the same issue. :)

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Trust me, it's the same issue. :)
Damn - I know it - I never said something different. I only added the info that it happens for you also at much less FOV.

Again and in different words:

This seems to be a limitation of the engine - and it seems to be the reason that the default sun is sooo BIG. - as on this kind of setting it is impossible to reproduce a flickering.

@ all that have a flicker that makes this mod useless for you and post this and expect a answer from me and don't only want to waste their own time: - read also what I posted below the video (besides the ReadMe):

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:there is a report about a bug that can happen when using this mod (NVidia):

please report with a track and your in-game settings/system specs. when you experience similar behaviours.

Thank you!

To get back on track:

I need also feedback about "Realistic Sun 1.2.2 release candidate 3" - especially about the reduced sun reflection on water.

Edited by PeterP

I tried all sorts of changes but have no change. Tracks supplied, I'l post my computer specs later. One track with the A-10C, two tracks with the Su-25T, one with joustick settings for zoom and one with no profile on joystick, cleared zoom assignment and just using the keyboard. Same issue on all. But remember Paul, this is not a major issue, it is only a bit anoying, the MOD is great! :D

Oh, and gone down on most of my graphics settings in game and reset GPU to "Optimal Quality".

A-10C SUN MOD Zoom shake- Warm.trk

Su-25T SUN MOD Zoom shake- Keyboard.trk

Su-25T SUN MOD Zoom shake- Warm.trk

(HJ)

EDIT: Damn, I'm sure I had my computer spec's layed out here somewhere.

EDIT2: using TrackIR of course!

Edited by HiJack

.....and reset GPU to "Optimal Quality".

Noooooooooooo..........don't do that! You're flushing your performance down the crapper :P

Your GPU must always be set to 'Application Controlled' with your settings set In-SIM to avoid potential gremlins from nibblin' at your wires.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Noooooooooooo..........don't do that! You're flushing your performance down the crapper tongue.gif

Your GPU must always be set to 'Application Controlled' with your settings set In-SIM to avoid potential gremlins from nibblin' at your wires.

Because:

"Fiddling leads to Diddling and before you know it your install's down the Crapper.'..."

Serious:

I fully agree with Viper - (I could show 100+ threads that could be solved if they let DCS decide..)

...don't let some "code-monkeys" decide what "optimizations" they have found in Battlefield/or WorldOfWarcraft to do the same on DCS.

Let by any means DCS decide what is the best use of the shaders.

Or do you really believe some of the AMD/NVidia guys did made their tests in DX9c with DCS?!

edit:

no - didn't had a look at you tracks - still need the exact monitor settings while recording ... and Paul didn't showed up till now :).

Edited by PeterP

Working good for me.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill 
" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690 MPG DDR4 || i9-14900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4080S|Game1300w|Win11| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2||MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Asus||

New video using just keyboard and TrackIR to zoom.

As you may see the shaking still exists when zooming with TrackIR (bending forward to the screen).

I also did set all GPU settings to "Application Controlled" including the Tesselation.

Here are the track:

Su-25T SUN MOD Zoom shake- Keyboard-2.trk

Please mind that the graphics settings is now completly wrong for the HD7970 so you may se some taring and stuff.

(HJ)

Please mind that the graphics settings is now completely wrong for the HD7970 so you may se some tearing and stuff.

Sorry to be so "anal" about it...

Instead using your time to load-up one video after another....

Q:

and your used in-game settings/used resolution are?! (please don't tell me I have to look it up some postings before or recalculate it depending on the You-tube video...:))

Don't get me wrong ,but:

I can replay your track at 3840x1790 all day long without getting the slightest guess why I'm doing it... - all that I will see is that you use a FOV that is disorientating for me at my end and doesn't matches witch the one I would use , aside from this I also wouldn't see the flickering at all...

Clear as clear I can get (without using any emotion-icons):

I need your display-settings to the Dot if you expect me to have a deeper look and/or even replay one of your tracks.

again: I can't see the same what you see when I don't know at least your your used res./aspect to simulate it at my end.

This is nothing personal - I'm not against you or anything that relates - I just want to make this mod as good as it can be - we are talking about numbers! :)

Clear?! -Good! :)

Edited by PeterP