Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The leap motion is so recourse demanding.. They really need to up their software

They are, hopefully.

Working with our developer community, we're now closer than ever to releasing the next generation of Leap Motion software, which will be pushed for free to all devices later this year.

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b6db0e3e157a48749e1048615&id=7bb2b9fe3c&e=7847c62253

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I got my rift last week and haven't had a ton of time to try to tweak it. I'm having issues with the head tracking.

Some axes are fine. Some of my axes are reversed. Pitch and yaw are fine.

Specifically, it's the translation axes. Lean forward and the panel retreats. Opposite of what should happen. Stand up and it's like I just squeezed myself lower in the pit.

I've seen this on other forums as an issue for some folks but to date, I have yet to see a solution offered.

Hopefully someone else here has seen this and can offer guidance on how to fix it.

If only some of the folks who post those amazing DCS/Oculus Rift videos would share how they managed to set it all up so successfully. That there are videos of it has to prove that positional tracking can work brilliantly, but I've tried just about all of the suggestions I could find in this thread and still can't get it to work at all.

For example, could it have something to do with the fact that I can't even get OVRService_x64.exe to stop automatically coming back on before I can get a chance to restart DCS? Has this happened as well to any of you? It's weird.

Here's hoping there won't have to be many more of these cries for:helpsmilie:

Edited by gtrdrt

Really good interview about the future of stereoscopic vr across entertainment platforms. Worth a watch if for nothing else than seeing a red bull air race through a rift!

I'm working in London this weekend might try and get down there to have a go myself...

Edited by smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

I have the current leap. They had better improve it about a thousand fold! in it's current form, it's next to useless for fine motion tracking.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For example, could it have something to do with the fact that I can't even get OVRService_x64.exe to stop automatically coming back on before I can get a chance to restart DCS? Has this happened as well to any of you? It's weird.

This info has been posted already. You have to stop wscript before ovrservice or else wscript will automatically restart it.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I just don't see leap working for toggle switches. I need feedback and also I don't want to ram my hand on my monitor or drink.

Edited by TAnker737

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

If only some of the folks who post those amazing DCS/Oculus Rift videos would share how they managed to set it all up so successfully. That there are videos of it has to prove that positional tracking can work brilliantly, but I've tried just about all of the suggestions I could find in this thread and still can't get it to work at all.

Here's hoping there won't have to be many more of these cries for:helpsmilie:

I went through the same frustration (received my dk2 last Wednesday the 27th). I finally have everything working, with all aircraft - with exception to multiplayer (waiting for DCS update for that one).

If you haven't got Oculus up and running with DCS, I highly recommend the following (it worked for me):

Visit the Oculus VR forums. There are excellent step-by-step instructions; specifically from a title called: RE: DCS DOES WORK AND ***IS*** AMAZING. by TomSD, on page 13 (of that title).

Several paragraphs on it, but the second paragraph is all you need. Hope this helps.

Would be cool to see DCS support for someting like this in the future. Really no need to detect complex hand movements. A "finger flick" and a "finger/hand twist" would go a long way for cockpit interaction...

Leap Motion Intro to VR

I have never tried a Leap Motion controller but it looks quite usefull with OR.

/KC

I don't think this kind of hand tracking will be suitable. I think we need tracking with some form of even basic haptic feedback. It's expected that oculus themselves will announce 'something' regarding input soon. It also raises the small issue of placing your physical yoke, throttle, cyclic etc in the correct place so your virtual and real hands match up when on the controls. It also illustrates the need for some form of common approach to vr input or we will have multiple devices all battling to be the one chosen by Devs.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Would be cool to see DCS support for someting like this in the future. Really no need to detect complex hand movements. A "finger flick" and a "finger/hand twist" would go a long way for cockpit interaction...

Leap Motion Intro to VR

I have never tried a Leap Motion controller but it looks quite usefull with OR.

/KC

That technology is simply mind blowing. No more physical cockpits at home. Only a HOTAS, Oculus VR and Leap Motion to operate any virtual cockpit...

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I'm not suggesting something like this replacing our HOTAS but a way to flick the switches in DCS nice 3D pits.

/KC

Trying to replace a HOTAS with this would be trying to solve a problem nobody is asking to solve. The HOTAS setup is necessary to transmit the touching feedback.

The doubt now I have is how to tell the Leap motion that our hands are on and off the HOTAS. Perhaps some touch sensors? A new HOTAS?

Edited by 7rooper

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

This info has been posted already. You have to stop wscript before ovrservice or else wscript will automatically restart it.
Yeah, I had already tried disabling wscript, but that didn't work either. In fact, I think it was *after* I did that that ovrservice started refusing to stay stopped. Then again, maybe I'm confused; I tried so many things. I should have taken notes. But now I remember that I followed a suggestion someone made here - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11455&p=166497&hilit=task+scheduler#p166497 - to go into the Task *Scheduler* and disable ovrservice. (I'm using Windows 8.1, by the way.) That may have done the trick, because I'm happy to say DCS and DK2 are working for me now! And I only have to jump through *a couple* of hoops any more to fly: Prior to running DCS, I just have to go into the Oculus Configuration Utility and, one, put it in Extended Mode and, two, pause the service. That's it. Plus, I can open and exit DCS multiple times after that without having to pause the service each time.

Hoping this helps others... :thumbup:

Yeah, I had already tried disabling wscript, but that didn't work either. In fact, I think it was *after* I did that that ovrservice started refusing to stay stopped. Then again, maybe I'm confused; I tried so many things. I should have taken notes. But now I remember that I followed a suggestion someone made here - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11455&p=166497&hilit=task+scheduler#p166497 - to go into the Task *Scheduler* and disable ovrservice. (I'm using Windows 8.1, by the way.) That may have done the trick, because I'm happy to say DCS and DK2 are working for me now! And I only have to jump through *a couple* of hoops any more to fly: Prior to running DCS, I just have to go into the Oculus Configuration Utility and, one, put it in Extended Mode and, two, pause the service. That's it. Plus, I can open and exit DCS multiple times after that without having to pause the service each time.

Hoping this helps others... :thumbup:

Read the post I made a page ago, or on this page, it has a link to reddit where there is some software to manage the oculus software. No need to load task manager and fiddle around with it.

Read the post I made a page ago, or on this page, it has a link to reddit where there is some software to manage the oculus software. No need to load task manager and fiddle around with it.

Like I said, I don't have to open task manager; all I have to open is the Oculus Configuration utility and do those two simple tasks. Do you have Windows 8.1? If so, try just to pause the ovrservice from within there to see if you can get by without having to use that software you mentioned.

I went through the same frustration (received my dk2 last Wednesday the 27th). I finally have everything working, with all aircraft - with exception to multiplayer (waiting for DCS update for that one).

If you haven't got Oculus up and running with DCS, I highly recommend the following (it worked for me):

Visit the Oculus VR forums. There are excellent step-by-step instructions; specifically from a title called: RE: DCS DOES WORK AND ***IS*** AMAZING. by TomSD, on page 13 (of that title).

Several paragraphs on it, but the second paragraph is all you need. Hope this helps.

Yes, that same thread is where I found the suggestion to stop the ovrservice from within Task Scheduler as opposed to Task Manager. And since I did that, I no longer have to open either of them. I just have to open the Oculus Configuration Utility to pause the service... :)