Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what's the screen resolution..

I think it's the same.

I haven't seen it specifically pointed out, so I would guess it is the same as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think it's the same.

Well, maybe not. Here's a quote from PC World reviewer "According to Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe's keynote, the step from the newly-released DK2 to Crescent Bay is as big as the step between the first-gen (DK1) and second-gen (DK2) developer's kit models.... Crescent Bay increases the resolution yet again (rumors say it's probably the 1440p screen used in the Note 4, though Oculus was for some reason hesitant to let me crack open one of their few Crescent Bay models just to look at the screen)"

I think adding 3D Audio is a winner, and they should think about adding a microphone for the folks who play multiplayer.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Its an OLED display, probably 1440, and Oculus is not saying who manufactured it. A Samsung display would be the obvious first guess. We probably won't see a 4K screen until the second or third consumer generation.

It does have new Optics, with no word on what range of IPD's will work best with them. It doesn't appear that this prototypes lenses have a physical IPD adjustment. A feature that will be a must, atleast from my personal experience with the DK2.

A few people that used it said it's definitely not the same resolution. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 4k screen in CV1. If we're already at 1440p @ 90hz on todays hardware? What's holding them back? Keep in mind, Carmack got 1440p at a reasonable Hz to run on a Note 4. If he can do that with cellphone hardware, I don't see why a GTX 980 with "VR Direct" built into the hardware couldn't do it.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

EDIT: Why would you need physical IPD adjustment when you can just adjust the IPD on the screen itself? It's just the separation of the images displayed right?

EDIT 2: The optics/lenses I guess is what you mean?

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

A few people that used it said it's definitely not the same resolution. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 4k screen in CV1. If we're already at 1440p @ 90hz on todays hardware? What's holding them back? Keep in mind, Carmack got 1440p at a reasonable Hz to run on a Note 4. If he can do that with cellphone hardware, I don't see why a GTX 980 with "VR Direct" built into the hardware couldn't do it.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

EDIT: Why would you need physical IPD adjustment when you can just adjust the IPD on the screen itself? It's just the separation of the images displayed right?

EDIT 2: The optics/lenses I guess is what you mean?

I'm pretty sure that the Screen is from the Note 4 now, after Skyping with some people and scouring the articles.

4k is prolly the target. Samsung has 4K Screens in mass production now.

Displaying an Image at 1440p at 90Hz versus having a GPU Powerful enough to render 3D scenes at 1440p at 90Hz is 2 different things.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Displaying an Image at 1440p at 90Hz versus having a GPU Powerful enough to render 3D scenes at 1440p at 90Hz is 2 different things.

True, but that's not to say that it can't be in part handled by software. Especially if Nvidia (which they have) builds in features that specifically support VR. It's not just raw horsepower that's going to get us to 4k @ 60 - 90 Hz.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

In one of Carmacks keynotes, he's asked a question about using the Rift for normal desktop activities, and he said that won't be possible, atleast comfortable until the Rift has a 4K resolution. It sounded like the Rift consumer versions won't have a 4K display for awhile.

The DK2 doesn't have a physical IPD adjustment and it appears the Cresent Bay doesn't either. People have mentioned they lose the sweet spot thru the Cresent Bay prototype lenses if the the headset isn't securely fastened.

The first consumer version will probably have a custom 1440 display with a few software, and optics tricks to make it appear even higher.

True, but that's not to say that it can't be in part handled by software. Especially if Nvidia (which they have) builds in features that specifically support VR. It's not just raw horsepower that's going to get us to 4k @ 60 - 90 Hz.

4K Rendering of Graphics at 120 Hz is already being done on 2 GPUs in XFire/SLI.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

4K Rendering of Graphics at 120 Hz is already being done on 2 GPUs in XFire/SLI.

Well there you go. Guess it's not that different after all if we've done it already.

WHERE DO I GET THE OPEN BETA??????!!!!!!

EDIT: Found it. Tried it in MP. EPIC.

Hmm, nothing there about clickable mouse when Rift is used. (last update broke it). Can you click inside the rift monitor now?

thnks

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Update 2 solved no mouse clicking problem.

The oculus rift must be primary display.

Yeahhh.

Depends on your rig. For me, rift as primary breaks everything. I need to uncheck fullscreen in options and then I am OK. Some say you need a 75Hz main monitor though to prevent the rift running at 60Hz though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR