Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a quote from me where I said anything remotely indicating that I believe that "everything will work 100% of the time" and I'll respond to you further.

Where did I say you said that? Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

Just as "2%" is a stretch, 100% is a stretch.

It feels wrong to get us all excited about DK2 support knowing that it only works literally 2% of the time.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Where did I say you said that? Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

Just as "2%" is a stretch, 100% is a stretch.

You asked, "You honestly believe that everything will work 100% of the time?" Why would you ask me that question? Nowhere did I claim that I expected it to work 100% of the time or anything close to that so explain what relevance that question has.

I said "literally 2%" and that's exactly what I meant which is why I added the word "literally". You said, "'2%' is a stretch". Are you claiming that you know that the success rate of getting the DK2 to work on my PC with DCS 1.5 is much greater than 2%? Please explain how you know this.

Edited by JaySmizzle

Nope, they only do that for ease of your youtube viewing. In game it's 1st person be default (although you can go to outside views if you want to).

I just finished a KA50 mission. It's incredible how the hide and seek aspect comes to life when you can lean in your cockpit and try and look past buildings.

The res isn't enough at the moment to spot properly, and the 0.7 SDK brightness problem causes some issues, but wow when it comes together it's simply incredible!

Thanks, I'm glad that wasn't normal view

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Hi guys, Now I see that the issue with the DK2 crashing in 1.5 has been mostly solved by a workaround found by Hellking,

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2507760&postcount=58

Can I ask if people are reducing their normal graphic settings when using the Rift or are they keeping them the same as if they were using the monitor.

I know going in and changing all settings isn't that hard, but it would get rather annoying after a few times. Currently away on hols, so can't test this myself.

Also what sort of frame rates are people seeing in 1.5, is it as much as an improvement as we are seeing when using a monitor.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

You asked, "You honestly believe that everything will work 100% of the time?" Why would you ask me that question? Nowhere did I claim that I expected it to work 100% of the time or anything close to that so explain what relevance that question has.

I said "literally 2%" and that's exactly what I meant which is why I added the word "literally". You said, "'2%' is a stretch". Are you claiming that you know that the success rate of getting the DK2 to work on my PC with DCS 1.5 is much greater than 2%? Please explain how you know this.

Yes, I think you are full of it. Go ahead and post a live stream of you trying 100 times with it succeeding only twice.

Yes, I think you are full of it. Go ahead and post a live stream of you trying 100 times with it succeeding only twice.

Ah yes, so you don't actually know what you're talking about then. Your irrelevant question has now been proven to be based on an assumption that you made and a really bad assumption considering lots of other people in here and other forums were talking about it failing "9/10" times or higher. It's probably different for different people based on their systems but in my case it was literally about a 2% success rate. Now, with the Vista compatibility fix that someone figured out, it's a success rate of about 80%.

Ah yes, so you don't actually know what you're talking about then. Your irrelevant question has now been proven to be based on an assumption that you made and a really bad assumption considering lots of other people in here and other forums were talking about it failing "9/10" times or higher. It's probably different for different people based on their systems but in my case it was literally about a 2% success rate. Now, with the Vista compatibility fix that someone figured out, it's a success rate of about 80%.

Full of it, nope - enjoying pushing your buttons due to your attitude, yep!

All, there is a workaround to the crashing problem. See

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2507760&postcount=79

Yep I saw that, thanks for posting it. I was actually going to get around to mentioning it to the OP but he had to drop the attitude first - which he hasn't.

Full of it, nope - enjoying pushing your buttons due to your attitude, yep!

Yep I saw that, thanks for posting it. I was actually going to get around to mentioning it to the OP but he had to drop the attitude first - which he hasn't.

I imagine most people who attack another person and are then proven wrong would have nothing left but to criticize the other person's "attitude".

Great news! The colour saturation issue has been solved and will be released in a future patch.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I imagine most people who attack another person and are then proven wrong would have nothing left but to criticize the other person's "attitude".

How did you prove me wrong? Your comment has as much validity as mine, this is the internet after all.

And YES, your attitude is why I pushed your buttons and you made it very easy.

Cmon guys ... keep the signal to noise under control.

Carabassa and jamison1982 ... I know DCS reports 75fps but I think that just means that the Rift is using Timewarp to add frames using interpolation. You ACTUALLY need to have MORE than 75fps most of the time for VR to be perfectly smooth. I really think you guys should run everything set to LOW and Shadows OFF to see how smooth it should look. Then you can try and make it look pretty. I suspect you are going to need more than GTX970 if you want turn everything to HIGH.

Also try Combined Arms in VR if you own it. It is way less demanding than the aircraft cockpits and you don't notice the lack of resolution in the DK2 as much. The VR effect when driving a tank like the T-90 or M1A1 is really impressive.

Edited by vicx

Carabassa and jamison1982 ... I know DCS reports 75fps but I think that just means that the Rift is using Timewarp to add frames using interpolation. You ACTUALLY need to have MORE than 75fps most of the time for VR to be perfectly smooth. I really think you guys should run everything set to LOW and Shadows OFF to see how smooth it should look. Then you can try and make it look pretty. I suspect you are going to need more than GTX970 if you want turn everything to HIGH.

Also try Combined Arms in VR if you own it. It is way less demanding than the aircraft cockpits and you don't notice the lack of resolution in the DK2 as much. The VR effect when driving a tank like the T-90 or M1A1 is really impressive.

every game and demo has 75fps limit unless im missing something, as far as low settings for smoothness, i run med settings on my msi 970 without any problems or judder.

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

every game and demo has 75fps limit unless im missing something, as far as low settings for smoothness, i run med settings on my msi 970 without any problems or judder.

Nope, I can get in excess of 150 fps over the water with max settings. I get 75 when flying over 3D objects and occasionally it will dip to 68 when there is fighting.

I do notice a difference when I see it dip below 72 fps. At this time it doesn't warrant a reduction in graphics settings.

Anything below 150 causes judder for me. It seems the FPS counter is counting each frame rendered which is 2x the rift refresh rate. (Right Ctrl - Pause)

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Direct mode forces vsync no matter what is configured in the graphic card settings. It is absolutely fine to have 75 Hz.

am I losing out tho but having 75fps instead of 150

I'm really interested now how I can increase so I can access the difference.

:) how did you manage it ( if you don't mind me asking )

:)

I press Right Ctrl and Pause to measure frame rate and it shows in the rift. How are you measuring it? If it's via a 3rd party app it might be showing the FPS of the image on your monitor and giving 75 instead of 150.

I press Right Ctrl and Pause to measure frame rate and it shows in the rift. How are you measuring it? If it's via a 3rd party app it might be showing the FPS of the image on your monitor and giving 75 instead of 150.

Right i have measured using the DCS FPS Counter, Fraps, Nvidia Shadow Play and the results are:

DCS 150fps

Fraps & Shadow 75fps

its strange how dcs is the only game i have come across that measures at 150fps.

at least i know im not losing out on anything :)

Thanks

Oculus CV 1 too low res for dogfighting

DK2 great flying experience.

Resolution too low for aircraft spotting.

CV1 resolution will be too low for spotting as well.

Your opinion?

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS