Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Pied, that is what I would expect to see. There is greater separation in one image than in the other but I don't see any noticeable difference in scale of the image.

Because of the greater separation there is more FOV in one image but the cockpit remains the same size.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pied, that is what I would expect to see. There is greater separation in one image than in the other but I don't see any noticeable difference in scale of the image.

Because of the greater separation there is more FOV in one image but the cockpit remains the same size.

Yep, the greater separation won't affect the size of what you see (you need a zoom for that) but will affect how you perceive the object size around you (on the second picture your brain will assume the cockpit is very small because the left eye is tucked on the left window and the right eye is tucked on the right window.

When I tried extreme scaling value in FSX I had the feeling to be in a toy aircraft cockpit I was wearing like a helmet.

So quick question....really enjoying flying with the rift in Open Beta. So when I've been recording the footage it records what on the screen. I'd like to have it record the two-eye view so I can watch it in 3d later like other oculus rift footage. How do people do that?

I currently use X-split to record footage since it lets me layer things like...but I'm open to using another application if it'll work.

Well, it does, I can confirm first hand.

I think you are confusing IPD in the rift (optics) and IPD in-game (rendering, the one I'm talking about)

Try creating a copy of Stereo.lua in your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\MonitorSetup\, rename the config "Stereo2".

The DCS graphic engine can use this value, here are the screenshots (non-open beta, values 0.02 and 0.16):

In the open-beta I can't get a view like this so I can't tell if it works (last screenshot).

There was no MonitorSetup folder in my openbeta's Saved Games folder. So I created on and stuck STEREO2.LUA file. Interestingly, I now see two "STEREO" (no #2 at the end) in my setup.

Changing the values didn't do much for me. But I will continue to test. Will try to figure out why I see two STEREO lua files.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

@hansangb- I think the changes are subtle. I can see the gauges clearer then I could before even making out what some of the digits are in the HUD of the A10C. Choosing different number must make a difference because those number aren't there for no reason. I prefer to have my ipd set in the game the same as it is in my rift config utility.

There was no MonitorSetup folder in my openbeta's Saved Games folder. So I created on and stuck STEREO2.LUA file. Interestingly, I now see two "STEREO" (no #2 at the end) in my setup.

Changing the values didn't do much for me. But I will continue to test. Will try to figure out why I see two STEREO lua files.

hsb

From memory, inside the file is the name 'stereo' that you need to set to 'stereo2'. You need to set the value there as the game GUI doesnt show you the value based on the file name.

EG, the existing stereo, you could change the file name to 'abcd' and it will still show stereo based on the value inside the file.

Just hold on a few days and we will have DCS 1.5 with improved Oculus support. Nobody knows what the improvements will be though. But fortunately they seem to be getting this VR thing quite seriously.

On the refresh rate topic, the Rift uses a technique to reduce blurriness, called 'low persistence', consisting on flashing the frames a few miliseconds instead of just presenting the frame all the time until next frame arrives, that needs high refresh rates for the flickering not to be noticeable.

That said, I'm with you. I'd accept the blurriness of 60Hz without low persistence. It may not fall on the VR definition as it's being defined nowadays, but still is just such a natural way of interacting with the computer compared to trackir or whatever else that it's still desirable.

i have recently downloaded 1.5 and upgraded to oculus 0.7, and still i get the appearance to be not smooth (juddering) as i turn my head. while on the second mnito attached it is perfectly smooth, Why?

a forum said that dcs relys on cpu not gpu for grafics.

also, please help i need to improve it. please help!!!

That makes sense. I'll play with the files to see what's going on. @crunchy, I *thought* the dials looked sharper as well. But I figured it was due to placebo effect. But I will do some more testing to see.

Also, the eye_shift is the IPD, or is that the dxview?

Thanks

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

i have recently downloaded 1.5 and upgraded to oculus 0.7, and still i get the appearance to be not smooth (juddering) as i turn my head. while on the second mnito attached it is perfectly smooth, Why?

a forum said that dcs relys on cpu not gpu for grafics.

also, please help i need to improve it. please help!!!

We don't know your HW, so it just may be that you don't have enough HW. But try the free flight first. As soon as you have AI involved, the frame rate drops to 75FPS. Also, go back one or two pages and see the settings that can help with minimizing juddering.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Anyone else, when using the dk2, not being able to see/use the kneeboard?

And the F10 map view only shows the map icons and GUI, the map itself is all grey.

It's the same for all my modules :-/

No showstopper but annoying:-P

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Also, the eye_shift is the IPD, or is that the dxview?

Thanks

hsb

That would be eye_shift, Dxview is angular difference (dxview is set to - 1, 0 and 1 in 3 screens configurations).

I suggest using Saved Games\DCS\Config\MonitorSetup\ to store the new configs

Thanks. PiedDroit. I'll fiddle around some, and report back. I'm assuming someone reported the "with AI it drops to 75FPS" issue, but thought I'd ask before searching/filing a bug report.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Would someone share with me how to display the frame rate? Thank you!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Right CTRL & Pause Break key.

TYVM :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Is it me or is there a need for seat and eyepoint adjustments? It's impossible sometimes to get the eyepoint right in some planes and no matter the head bobbing I do, it's not easy. There has to be a better way.

This beta is such an improvement over the previous version of DCS. The level of immersion is exceptional.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Is it me or is there a need for seat and eyepoint adjustments? It's impossible sometimes to get the eyepoint right in some planes and no matter the head bobbing I do, it's not easy. There has to be a better way.

This beta is such an improvement over the previous version of DCS. The level of immersion is exceptional.

You can setup where you want to be placed in a cockpit using snap views, I think this works with DK2, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't set it up or tried it myself yet in the Rift, but I plan too. For now if I want to be sat further back in the cockpit, I just lean forwards a little while in the Rift and hit key 5 on the numpad. I then just sit back again and this puts me further back in the cockpit. This works for all directions, so just experiment with it. But also read this link about snap views.

There is also a Mod called the Neck mod that can place you where you should really be in a seat, but this is a beta and I'm not sure it works with this. I'll try to find the link for it. Just make sure you know how to uninstall mods though, because this might give you problems with updates to 1.5. You can get a program that allows you to install Mods and uninstall them easily, but I cant think whats its called at the moment. I'd have to look when I'm at home.

Here it is >>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

>>>>http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Snap_views

Edited by Crunchy

You can setup where you want to be placed in a cockpit using snap views, I think this works with DK2, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't set it up or tried it myself yet in the Rift, but I plan too. For now if I want to be sat further back in the cockpit, I just lean forwards a little while in the Rift and hit key 5 on the numpad. I then just sit back again and this puts me further back in the cockpit. This works for all directions, so just experiment with it. But also read this link about snap views.

There is also a Mod called the Neck mod that can place you where you should really be in a seat, but this is a beta and I'm not sure it works with this. I'll try to find the link for it. Just make sure you know how to uninstall mods though, because this might give you problems with updates to 1.5. You can get a program that allows you to install Mods and uninstall them easily, but I cant think whats its called at the moment. I'd have to look when I'm at home.

Here it is >>http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

>>>>http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Snap_views

I seem to recall that we should not use mods if we're running open beta 1.5. Am I mistaken?

I seem to recall that we should not use mods if we're running open beta 1.5. Am I mistaken?

No you are not mistaken, but snap views are not a Mod and neither is moving your head in the Oculus Rift LoL. I'd hardly call the neck mod a mod and I did say only if you know how to uninstall mods before updates.

Edit: But I guess your are right. I haven't installed any mods while 1.5 is in beta, but it's good for future reference when you can install them.

Edited by Crunchy

No you are not mistaken, but snap views are not a Mod and neither is moving your head in the Oculus Rift LoL. I'd hardly call the neck mod a mod and I did say only if you know how to uninstall mods before updates.

OK, thanks. I wanted to double check if that directive had changed and we could now use mods. Now I know we still can't. :)

I'd hardly call the neck mod a mod

Using the neck mod would make no sense. You have a real neck and the DK2 uses absolute positional tracking.

The shoulder settings in DCS should be and probably are, completely ignored in VR mode.

Just a simple eyepoint adjustment like FSX/P3d is all that's needed.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare