Holy Cat

NRG-Vampire

i believe that if someone takes 3GO's su-27 or combatace's su-27UB and makes some renders using for example, vray2 and max 2012, you get the same visual impression, this without modeling rivets, internal engine and cutting panels. put it in another order, take Der Piper's su-27 UB and import it in DCS, you won't have a better aspect than combatace's one, just because those modeled rivets are not viewable from a normal distance of 2-3 meters. So the result is that both models have the same accuracy but different number of polys.

I doubt it.

you have no idea what you're talking about.

So the result is that both models have the same accuracy but different number of polys.

The F-14 and SU27 Renders are Detailed to the Sub 1 Inch Level, The DP, CA, 3GOs arent, And No Amount of mentalray, vray, or special rendering is gonna make up for that.

There's a huge Difference in Production Rendering Models and Game Asset Models.

You cant take a Production Render Model and stick it into a Game engine because no GFX Engine has the Rendering Power to Render in Real Time that Many Polygons w/ High Resolution Textures.. Shoot... A Single Frame Render of the F14 prolly took a few minutes.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I wish somebody like him or any other studio would bring an AI package to the DCS World, if they already have some of these birds modeled they could just make them DCSW compatible and sell a package that would overwrite the stock models, i know i would pay for the extra eye candy, the F-14 on DCSW right now doesn't look so good, same with the F-16 and many others, even those who will be flying the SU-27 on FC3 would get to fly inside this guy's model, it's impressive work.

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

I wish somebody like him or any other studio would bring an AI package to the DCS World, if they already have some of these birds modeled they could just make them DCSW compatible and sell a package that would overwrite the stock models, i know i would pay for the extra eye candy, the F-14 on DCSW right now doesn't look so good, same with the F-16 and many others, even those who will be flying the SU-27 on FC3 would get to fly inside this guy's model, it's impressive work.

Problem is, When you're building a Production Rendering Model, you dont plan on having to downsample it to a Graphics Engine's restrictions.

Trying to take a 50 Million Polygon Model down to 500-750K would make it look horrible.

it's easier to build 200K Polygons, Upsample to 500K, and fine tune the meshes than it is to build and downsample.

The F-16 and F-18 need some Texture Love in DCS, the 3d Models look Above Average, but could be better, wasn't ED Touting new F-16 Renders a few months back?.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sorry John, but I think once again you have no concept of how impressive and detailed these models are. "Same accuracy but different number of polys" is totally inaccurate.

After market products are quite amazing , like weighted wheels , brass pitot tubes , resin non seam intakes and full detail cockpits and afterburner cans , weapon sets .

The Tamiya Tomcat costs a song , and its not totally correct , all the bits to correct it can be bought from http://www.hannants.co.uk/ one of the best and oldest model supply companies in the business .

well, with all the arguments i keep my opinion and will try to demonstrate this by making some vray renders of my F-16 model. I will use a bump map, a specular map, of course a diffuse and a very high resolution render to have the best results. and vray...

to be more explicitly, i agree with somebody who said before that modeling is about accuracy and details but i think that accuracy is about talent and a good reference of the aircraft, on the other hand details are about hard working and a good reference. this is why i appreciate more the accuracy which is about talent(is like you're making a sculpture, not so many people can do) and less the details, these meaning the hard working and hard working we all can do... and to get to the point i see the same accuracy at Combatace's Su-27 with Der Peiper's, so both of them have the same appreciation from me because i strongly believe that Combatace can reach the same detail level once he has the motivation..

and to get you an idea have a look at this:

http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5196&highlight=galgot

he is as good as Der Piper(i personally consider him better) and he has a lower level of details, with the rivets bumped and so on... you must think that it's harder to keep a lower poly number on the model but to put the polys in the right place to get the best suggestion.

and please, this is my personal opinion as i said in my every post, i am not trying to make you think like me so keep the ugly words away.

Both are very talented imho. They are using different approaches to get to where they want. Though for the fine detail like the shots of the landing gear bay, the result would look best with 3d modeled rivits compared to mapped rivits (bump or normal) imho. I guess it all depends on what you want to achieve. The F-14 guy seems to go for "getting it as real as I can possibly get" and thus modeling every single rivit, hydraulic line or whatever it may be is probably the most accurate way of doing it. The mig-21 guy may also have the same goal, but not to the same extent. So for the renders he needs, normal/bump maps for the rivits will do as you wouldnt be able to tell the diference anyway. That being said, I find the F-14 more impressive due to the shear ammount of work and accuracy he has put into his model.

Surely they would be great models to make Bumpmap texutres from.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry if i bump this thread again, Im the modeler of the f-14D here.

Good to see some great 3d modelers around here. Top works, I really enjoyed seeing the progress. :thumbup:

So ill try to answer some of questions from the 1st page.

Well, this f-14 model are just for my personal portfolio works, I did it for a hobby purposes.. on and off during my free time / killing time. So its not a paid work, not even plan to sell it. If its a paid work, it probably finished less than a year (I think).

About the bump map vs modeled rivets, this f-14 wip uses modeled rivets and modeled panels are just for my own research. As you might seen my Su-27/30 wip, those were using bump mapping, in which looks fine in a small renders (800-2000 pixels big), but it start to looks quite horrible if renders something bigger lets say 8k to 10k pixels no matter how big your bump map is, it wont do much. The panel lines bump are the same issue here, especially if I rendered it on low focal length camera/wide angle. So this are the things Im trying to avoid on my F-14 wip since im planning to makes some prints for it.

About the poly counts, the total polys on this F-14 so far was about 5 million of polys, or somewhere around 3 million tris count.

and please, stop comparing between artist A, B, C etc works.. its pointless.

I believe we all modelers here are good friends, theres no point comparing works with other people.

If you want some comparison, compare your own latest works with your old ones, as I always do this all time. So I know what improvements Ive made during all these progress.

and yes, I worked with some developer, as its my first start this year. I needs to learn alot and catch up things with flight sim requirements. But so far it was fun doing it. :)

anyway heres my latest F-14D exterior renders (1920 size).

f-14d_modeling_ext_da.jpg

• Like 4

Do you work for Tamiya?

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Hey Der_Peiper , nice to see you here too!

Thanks for the explanation , let's hope it will enlighten some "smart" minds here.

there's nothing special, that it can't be done by any other 3d artist

but i think that the only special thing is the level of detail.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about , it is weird to hear this from a Mil-Mesh member ....of course we don't see you often there.

he's probably paid very very well for this and he has of course a book of the aircraft, where to find every drawing for every part,

No money , no fancy books and no factory drawings , just loads of pictures,an eye for the details and a level of skills you can't even dream about.

you only have to pay them high and you shall get the job done, at the same complexity.

So for you dedication,hard work and hundreds of hours searching for references , modeling , rendering , texturing and compositing is for money?

I bet he uses a render farm for those or he has a very beefed up PC.

Renders is one thing, a screen shot is another.

I bet I could make my piss poor models look good in a good render setup with good spec and bumo maps.

Would you believe that this beast was rendered on a 3 years old Phenom II?

If the guy did it in 1 year do you think $500.000 is what he gets? I don't think so... if it's year's work then it's year's pay. And by the way since you know 3D modeling you should show more respect for the guy's work and not make stupid comment like "nothing special". It might be your opinion... it is therefore my opinion that your opinion is crap.

Thank you !

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys thank you very much for comments. The wip of this cat still continues but in a very slow progress.

@Flycat yes thats my wip blog page where i put most of my progress in there. (just finished model Emb-312 tucano for simulation specs as well)

If theres any dcs developers here needs 3d modeler, let me know.

could reach me through PM or email siregar3d @ gmail.com

sorry if bumped a zombie thread (old thread)

Damn they are stunning. I can only dream of reaching this standard.

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• 1 month later...