What is the best Joystick for this awesome simulation

Guys,

I feel guilty playing this game with my gampad. I am really want to play with joystick, i wanty to ask you guys what's the different between gamepad and joystick specially in this game. I mean I know it's a big different but, I didn't try the joystick on any other simulation, so what do u think? what's the best and not-so-much-expensive joystick in the market? :)

something to think about....

the TM warthog is only a 90% sollution

Why is it missing twist-rudder funktion??

Why doesn´t it have force-feedback??

(i know that many modern aircraft don´t have a feeback in the stick, but in the real aircraft you have you butt in the seat that compensates that...)

So maybe the throttle unit of the TM warthog in combination with a force feeback joystick with rudder and many hat-switches....

I personally are using a microsoft forcefeedback 2 joystick an a modified gamepad for my 90% sollution... Link

To not compromise the quality of the stick as well as the thought of anyone buying such an expensive piece of sim kit will probably have a set of pedals anyway.

+1

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K | NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler |  MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151 | Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU | EVGA GTX 1070 | EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx) | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200 | 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk) | 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk) |  64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case | 1 x ViewSonic VG2439m-LED 24" [MAIN] (GTX 1070) | 2 x ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24" [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)

something to think about....

the TM warthog is only a 90% sollution

Why is it missing twist-rudder funktion??

Why doesn´t it have force-feedback??

(i know that many modern aircraft don´t have a feeback in the stick, but in the real aircraft you have you butt in the seat that compensates that...)

So maybe the throttle unit of the TM warthog in combination with a force feeback joystick with rudder and many hat-switches....

I personally are using a microsoft forcefeedback 2 joystick an a modified gamepad for my 90% sollution... Link

1. Twist rudder is unrealistic. Most realistic are rudder pedals. I would not have bought the WH if it had incorporated a twist rudder, IMO that feature should be restricted to the lower end HOTAS products as it is now.

2. FFB. Who needs a stick that shakes if you have an iVibe seat that does it instead. Much higher quality and more elaborate effects then a FFB Joystick can and will ever produce. As you point out yourself it is much more like having your "butt in the seat" of the real thing.

There you have it, the TMWH is now a 100% solution......done! :D

Out

Edited by PoleCat

Couldn't resist!

Not sure what you mean... :huh: Are you not using that, too? :joystick:

;)

Regards,

=170= Sven ☠ 2157

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel 7th Gen. i7-7700K | NZXT Kraken 41 Liquid CPU Cooler |  MSI Z270 M3 Gaming LGA 1151 | Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold PSU | EVGA GTX 1070 | EVGA GTX 1060 (Dedicated Physx) | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB PC4-19200 | 128GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 SSD NVMe M.2 (System Disk) | 2TB RAID 10 (4 x Seagate ST1000DX002 FireCuda SSHD) (Files Disk) |  64GB Intel Cache Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | 48GB Page Disk (1280GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD RAID 0) | NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case | 1 x ViewSonic VG2439m-LED 24" [MAIN] (GTX 1070) | 2 x ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24" [LEFT/RIGHT] (GTX 1060)

Hi!

If you can spend it: Thrustmaster Warthog. Easy choice. If the cost of that is too steep (understandable, retail at 400$ or so I think...) go for a Saitek X52 or X52-pro. My first serious stick was the X52.

I recommend the X52 (Pro, if you can afford a few more $$). Why?

1. It is about 1/4 the price of the HOTAS Warthog (which I would LOVE to have if I could afford it)

2. Works for any other flying games

3. Has been around long enough that there are plenty of good profiles available in these forums that you can use to program it to work with A-10C (and probably most of the other aircraft too), so lots of support.. and plenty of Youtube videos showing how to fix / repair / mod / improve the X52 (making it more responsive, etc... I've seen some videos myself but haven't looked too hard)

4. Lots and lots of programmable buttons

5. Use the money you save to buy Natural Point Track IR 5 (can get it on Amazon

) with pro-clip (this takes the game from ... oh... nice... a pretty awesome flight sim... to ... OMG this is flipping amazing!!! :pilotfly: )

6. Rudder pedals are nice, but non-essential... I do just fine using "z" and "x" keys... and frankly... in a jet you generally won't use rudder that much

7. For the A-10C get the Cougar MFDs... inexpensive... really enhances the realism / fun of the A-10C

So... to answer your question... why did you get a flight sim and not just another XBox (PS2/3) game??? I presume... that like the rest of us you were looking for a more realistic experience. Flying a Fighter (or any airplane for that matter) with a gamepad takes away (detracts) from that realism and fun. Get a joystick like the X52 if you're on a budget... it makes a huge difference... They don't call it "yanking and banking" for nothing! :) And do yourself a favor and get TrackIR 5 with the pro-clip as well... tracks your head movements so you can effectively look around. TrackIR takes the game from really neat to that next step you've probably never experienced before in any other game / sim. "It'll blow yer hat in the creek!" :joystick:

IMO... FWIW

"Snipe"

"Snipe"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS => Win7 64-bit Ultimate | MOBO => ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | RAM => 8GB | VIDEO CARD => XFX ATI 4850 | CONTROLLER => Saitek X52 | DISPLAY => ASUS 25.5" 1600x1280 | HDD => 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)

... what's the best and not-so-much-expensive joystick in the market? :)

X52 pro without competition in "not-so-much-expensive" category!

However, if you can stretch the budget, go for TM Warthog/CH products with pedals - in the long run it's cheaper because you don't have to upgrade, like ever! CH products are indisputable when talking reliability. TM Warthog all the way if you are A-10c fan.

Edited by danilop

I recommend the X52 (Pro, if you can afford a few more $$). Why?

1. It is about 1/4 the price of the HOTAS Warthog (which I would LOVE to have if I could afford it)

2. Works for any other flying games

"Snipe"

That's twice in a week here i have seen the suggestion the hog is not good in other games. It has just as many buttons to map, just as precise and just as programmable to use in any other game as it is in dcs.

Where does this line of reasoning keep coming from?

G940 is not the best but workable if you got a good one and can remove a screw in the throttle. Someday tighten some wire connections in the pedals. WOOPPPPPTEEE DOOOOO HAHA couldn't resist!

Not the best solution but works for many.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

6. Rudder pedals are nice, but non-essential... I do just fine using "z" and "x" keys... and frankly... in a jet you generally won't use rudder that much

How come you "won't use rudder that much"? I use rudder all the time to make minute adjustments when using the GAU-8 and establishing crab angle during crosswind landings. Granted, I use X52 Pro handle twist, as I haven't yet invested in new pedals. (I've got a 15 year old Thrustmaster RCS with broken spring lying in the attic but meh, I don't think it's worth fixing)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

That's twice in a week here i have seen the suggestion the hog is not good in other games. It has just as many buttons to map, just as precise and just as programmable to use in any other game as it is in dcs.

Where does this line of reasoning keep coming from?

Well, just guessing, but it could be that the capabilities of the Warthog are not known to the persons suggesting it's a "1 sim HOTAS". Or they just don't like TM products. Let me add that they are entitled to their opinion. I'm not crazy about the CH HOTAS products. I'm not saying it is a bad HOTAS, just that I have some issues with it and prefer something else, it's a personal thing. I'm sure that those that would never get a TM Warthog prefer something else for various reasons, and that's fine, we are all individuals, with different tastes and needs.

Yes, the TM Warthog is a very good and realistic HOTAS for DCS A-10C, IMHO. That's what it is modeled after. But, with button programing it can certainly be used for other sims also.

:pilotfly:

Edited by CubPilot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

It's the XXI century, bro :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=75719&d=1357787750

LOL...... how do you remember what everything does? Better use heavy gloves with this joystick, it's backbone looks like a porcupine. :lol:

Edited by CubPilot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

How come you "won't use rudder that much"? I use rudder all the time to make minute adjustments when using the GAU-8 and establishing crab angle during crosswind landings. Granted, I use X52 Pro handle twist, as I haven't yet invested in new pedals. (I've got a 15 year old Thrustmaster RCS with broken spring lying in the attic but meh, I don't think it's worth fixing)

I have springs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so, the gamepad is bad choice for this sim? I mean does it deliver the same experience if I am using a joystick?

i want to say having a HOTAS set up is worth having just for the realism. since its more like the aircraft, plus you have more buttons to setup more controls.