Air-to-Air Missile Discussion

Shein

Guidance is part of it, but it's really nowhere near as simple as you may believe it is :)

You're also answering the wrong question I think :)

PS: You realize you're actually showing that there's a problem with the guidance in F4 right? IMHO anyway. Look at those flight trajectories - do they remind you of anything from DCS?

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, the missile is not adequately modeled.

Boy, nice job taking a statement regarding the interaction of decoys versus sensing and turning it into a bad remark regarding loft programming.

PG is still in effect during a lofted profile; the weapon's logic is processing range and aspect information as required to turn a known energy constant into enough kinetic-plus-potential energy to render a valid intercept. It is not two separate stages, but one long calculation- the missile maintains the constant lateral LOS required. This is reinforced by performance at short range: an AIM-120 doesn't need to loft with a shot taken at 5 miles. Instead, the equation is performed, energy is noted as sufficient to get downrange, and the logic is followed.

Loft, in relation to missile performance and guidance, is a known issue. It is not simply known issue, it's also an excessively difficult one to solve based on the grade of data that is available on the "white" side of the fence, not the least of which are the constants that have to go in. Although, if you'd like to provide exact engineering data as to the ARs of the fins of various weapons, the specific energy total of their solid fuel boost and sustainer stages, along with their full drag profiles, they might be able to get back to you far more quickly than they currently are.

Instead, they're having to work backwards, from oftentimes wildly inaccurate sales data, and flight data for singular regimes. And honestly- that doesn't tell you a quarter of what you need to know as to how the weapon got there from the physics side, because those inputs can be fiddled with any number of ways to get the range up.

One has to have that grade of intimate data to be able to effectively feed a lofted PG equation. Otherwise, you're dealing with even worse performance than we already have.

So frankly- as the man said, it *is*, as currently constructed, adequate. They are working on it in a near-constant fashion, but it is a painful process.

But, like I said- if you've got a hard line on state secrets that you're willing to spend a couple decades in a maximum security facility for releasing to the developers of a consumer-grade flight simulator, be our guest. Otherwise, don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 1

Guidance is part of it, but it's really nowhere near as simple as you may believe it is :)

You're also answering the wrong question I think :)

PS: You realize you're actually showing that there's a problem with the guidance in F4 right? IMHO anyway. Look at those flight trajectories - do they remind you of anything from DCS?

I'm sorry about answering the wrong question, but given the truth that the BMS has already worked out an adequately accurate model of these missiles both in the terms of aerodynamics and guidance, it dose not seem that it is hard for you to accomplish such a task. If they can be modeled like that in the BMS, I believe almost all of FC3 players will give you pretty high prise of them. :)

Edited by flankerted

If they can be modeled like that in the BMS, I believe almost all of FC3 players will give you pretty high prise of them. :)

Absolutely not, for a start DCS missiles have progressed to AFM which is a step in the right direction, but more importantly BMS missiles are just as useless against human opponents.

Yes they kill AI with ease because BMS AI once in the parameters are weak but against human opponents where so much of the opinion of DCS missiles comes from they are just as avoidable if not more so. DCS issue with the stupid AI is that countermeasures are too effective

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I'm sorry about answering the wrong question, but given the truth that the BMS has already worked out an adequately accurate model of these missiles both in the terms of aerodynamics and guidance,

Their model sucks. It achieves what it needs to do, but as a model it in fact sucks. It's effectively the equivalent of missile SFM AND the guidance is ... I don't know what, but it ain't right, looks like they're just going pure to me which is er ... wrong. Wrongwrongwroooooong.

As for missile range, it's like that because they're not letting those missiles turn much. Which results in intercept issues and the stuff you saw on those ACMIs. DCS missiles are 'front-loaded', they pay for FM accuracy straight at the beginning because the guidance does not do anything to maintain energy.

The BMS missiles are 'end loaded' ... the guidance and FM are so bad that these missiles keep a lot of energy, but aren't able to use it for an intercept against a fighter performing a robust dive. :)

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Their model sucks. It achieves what it needs to do, but as a model it in fact sucks. It's effectively the equivalent of missile SFM AND the guidance is ... I don't know what, but it ain't right, looks like they're just going pure to me which is er ... wrong. Wrongwrongwroooooong.

As for missile range, it's like that because they're not letting those missiles turn much. Which results in intercept issues and the stuff you saw on those ACMIs. DCS missiles are 'front-loaded', they pay for FM accuracy straight at the beginning because the guidance does not do anything to maintain energy.

The BMS missiles are 'end loaded' ... the guidance and FM are so bad that these missiles keep a lot of energy, but aren't able to use it for an intercept against a fighter performing a robust dive. :)

Actually what I mean is not to ask you to make the missile's AFM 100% same as that in BMS, because from the video we can find the FM is absolutely wrong in the terminal guidance stage. As mentioned above, the guidance is not two separated stages, but I think these missiles should be close to pure pursuit at long distance from the target, and at short distance from the target, they should obey proportioal guidance law. The key to simulate the progress could be making the guidance more than one stage , such as three or more stages, to instead the complex function of realistic one. In a word, the AFM of these missiles is adequately accurate in aerodynamics, and the model in BMS is too simple but has something for reference to use to enhance the guidance of AFM missiles in DCS.:)

Interesting article on this whole AIM120c being "nerfed". According to this article it probably is pretty well modeled in DCS (personal conclusion). I don't claim to be an expert however probably neither are those who claim that the aim120 has been nerfed "in game" to appease the red team

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Rus-BVR-AAM.html

There is certainly a difference between the missiles however the aircraft are sufficiently equipped to fit in the performance doctrine of the said designers.

I guess you can't follow the same BVR tactics in an F15 as you do in a Sukhoi

Edited by Jamovich

Interesting article on this whole AIM120c being "nerfed". According to this article it probably is pretty well modeled in DCS (personal conclusion). I don't claim to be an expert however probably neither are those who claim that the aim120 has been nerfed "in game" to appease the red team

There is certainly a difference between the missiles however the aircraft are sufficiently equipped to fit in the performance doctrine of the said designers.

I think people aren't really concerned about the "PK" of the AMRAAM, but they are concerned with it's inflight use of bleeding speed when it doesn't need to be. It's already been explained by GG, the missile seekers aren't working well with the AFM (is what i got from his posts).

AMRAAM real life PK data is irrelevant anyways.

Edited by wilky510

An interesting read, but there are a lot of assumptions about missile technology which would be very hard if not impossible to check or verify. Also some of the ranges set for the BVR missiles stated in the article are two to three times to what we have in DCS.

Edited by OnlyforDCS
  • Like 1

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

APA is not a useful source of information. Yes, the 120 is 'nerfed'. It's not the only thing that's nerfed, the nerfing's pretty fair all around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
APA is not a useful source of information. Yes, the 120 is 'nerfed'. It's not the only thing that's nerfed, the nerfing's pretty fair all around.

OK so it's maybe fair in a multiplayer server with loads of different skilled players but have you played any singleplayer mission lately? There is almost no way 4 * F-15C with full load off 120's can win over 2 * MiG-23's. Take the "FC3-F-15C-Clean Sweep.miz" for a run will you? And please post the finnished track where you beat all aircrafts and arrive safely at homebase :thumbup:

OK so it's maybe fair in a multiplayer server with loads of different skilled players but have you played any singleplayer mission lately? There is almost no way 4 * F-15C with full load off 120's can win over 2 * MiG-23's. Take the "FC3-F-15C-Clean Sweep.miz" for a run will you? And please post the finnished track where you beat all aircrafts and arrive safely at homebase :thumbup:

I play a bit of single player and I think the missiles are perfectly workable there. The AI is another issue though. They are not very good at using missiles and horrendous at listening to orders. They will not lead their shots and they will not account for future actions on behalf of the target.

For fun I decided to try the Clean Sweep mission. It's my first time doing any DCS mission that came with the sim. I've also got a track I use for training, 2 F-15 vs 4 MiG-29. I don't know if Clean Sweep recorded properly, but I had 100% AMRAAM accuracy. I was killed by the MiG-31/MiG-29 groups though as my wingman weren't very effective. I know my 2v4 track is correct until the landing.

Clean_Sweep_1st try.trk

2 F-15C vs 4 MiG-29S 1.2.16 with good landing.trk

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Yes the AI does not help the situation. I have tried to just command the wingmen on the first attack resulting in them all dying against 2 MiG-23's. Have you tried that? To complete all 6 objectives in the mission you are reliant on the wingmen and they have no chance against the superior MiG-23 :P

Edited by HiJack

Yes the AI does not help the situation. I have tried to just command the wingmen on the first attack resulting in them all dying against 2 MiG-23's. Have you tried that? To complete all 6 objectives in the mission you are reliant on the wingmen and they have no chance against the superior MiG-23 :P

This was the only time I've flown the mission, but in my own missions I've seen strange behavior. Many times, the plane with the range/first shot advantage loses.

Su-25T beats MiG-29 in 2v2 (who would win between MiG-23 and Su-25? Battle of titans)

F-15C loses to SARH fighters

F/A-18C's on defensive defeat R-77 MiG's

Generally, the first salvo by the AI is too early to kill fighters. After that it was usually a mess because of the missile launch bug, but even with that fixed I've seen weird stuff.

Also interesting is that the AI ignoring enemies can be more effective than defending against them. I have a mission where 4 AI F-15's start attacking 4 MiG-29's. The F-15's have a larger aggression radius, but they end up shooting the MiG's as they turn to follow their waypoints, resulting in AMRAAM's being trashed. Then the F-15's get close enough for the MiG's to engage. You'd think the F-15's would have an advantage but I've seen them get utterly destroyed in this situation.

While I think boosted missile performance would be good for SP, I think AI missile tactics are the bigger problem right now.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Since there is renewed interest in testing missiles and understanding why they are so poor. I'm re-posting my ER testing.

Old testing methodology and results for posterity:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=243

Overview of performance in 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 Ptrack improves .22 to .42

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=266

Unfortunately I havent mentioned the patch number but its likely an early one since Ptrack is .25

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=381

Same again. Likely early version of the game.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=412

Same again

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=522

Patch 1.2.5 Ptrack still abysmally low at .22

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=560

Wags concedes that there has been a chaff bug. It is formally addressed in the next patch. Update 1.2.5.15865 increases Ptrack to 0.42 in my testing. Was previously .22

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... tcount=720

Kuky testing. Changing the RCS of the planes improves tracking.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1 ... count=1137

Patch 1.2.7 Ptrack improves to .53. I haven't tested it formally since then.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1992715&postcount=1138

Exorcet testing ranges.

Note that in all of the above testing I am testing tracking of the missiles only. Not kills. Kinetic range is not the issue. As long as it tracked well I considered that a success. Also In all situations this was a head on engagement with the shooter below the target and the target is not notching.

I now realize that that ground clutter and look down shooting also has a disastrous effect on ER tracking. I just haven't quantified it yet. This will be my next avenue of testing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

...ground clutter

We have also a problem if the target is taller and run down quickly. ER go ahead ballistic and not try to go for it. Looks like target escaped from visual field of missiles and the only explanation for that is poor mobility of missile. In addition to bad guidance the problem is and speed too. If the missile was fast enough target should be invest much more effort in avoidance maneuver. Currently small target movements make missiles to miss.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Id love if ED would say whether they intend to work on seeker logic at some point.

I'm sure they intend to work on it, it's just a question of when.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I leave again an appeal that missile sensor and flight models (aircraft ones as well) are in urgent need of fixing/tuning. It's been a looooong wait without flying. :(

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Can U say "Beta"?

I don't see how anyone can have an issue with this.

I still have and use 1.2.7 the one I have the least objections to. Allowing me to use the "Beta" at my discretion. This was and is the intent of releasing a Beta and a allowing other ver. to be used. Well I guess it is?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Yes, easily caused by network issues. Packet loss to the server means important messages sent from that client do not make it to you, and missile trajectory and other processing is done on the computer that 'launched' the missile, ie. your opponent's computer.

It's perfectly possible for a network issue to make things look strange.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]