Virus Identified

froggy

Wow really? I would never hire you as a tech lol. You should never in any circumstance turning off your firewall or antivirus when and especially when installing new software... the alert my might be false/positive but at least you where alerted...

Seriously dude? The Alert is the least of your problems.

I build and repair hundreds of custom systems a year.

If you leave Real time protection on, it will block programs from installing correctly when updating windows files or other system files.

This includes but isnt limited to, Windows updates, Windows Critical Components (ie Visual C++, .Net etc), Hardware Drivers, and API updates.

if you install certain programs with RTP on, it will block windows from executing any code or file modifications that are pre-programmed by the AV Suite devs. Those pre-programmed algorithms are geared to protecting unknowing people that have no idea how to do 99% of the stuff they need too.

Which is why Windows usually always asks you if you trust the publisher before installing anything.

TBH, UAC and Real Time Protection can both cause incomplete / corrupted installs of programs. and I've seen RTP cause Setup Processes to hang, as in, the process is running, but it never comes up on the screen, because RTP is blocking it from running. Same with UAC.

Im not saying, run it off 24/7, Im saying installing applications that scan and update DirectX, Visual C++, and stuff, should have RTP Off, as it blocks processes and stuff.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Norton gave me stuff like this widen world first came out. Since then, I awaited for file to be cleared by norty but I'm sure that ED don't plant viruses. You must have something wicked on your computer.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I use the same here but no warning with dcs ever...

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Thanks again guys. Whether it makes any difference, I suspect not, I get this warning during the installation process. So I don't even get the thing installed! I stress that I'm no techy just a simple guy who likes playing games. Bearing in mind that the flag up is in the installation process, and I go no further and allow AV to do what it does, by putting the suspect in quarantine. If I then run a scan of the system on the basis that I have a bad guy somewhere in windows or wherever, it should find it, no? Or am I being too simple?

Found a new way for Avira.

So, this was my first time too, when avira said: VIRUS ALERT!

Every time i started dcs i had this alert. I wanted to stop this as it was going on my nerves. It took a little bit until i found a solution for me.

So i uninstalled Avira, installed a new copy and opend Real time scanner in the menue. (Here you can configure what has or has not to be scanned.)

Here you can open "search" and then "exceptions".

In the lower half i have put Eagle Dynamics and it works now.

Avira is on, do not have to disable it every time when playing it.

froggy, hopefully this is a solution, for me definitley it is.

S!

Edited by LcSummers

Some AV softwares also sandbox running applications in a virtual environment for realtime scanning and behaviour control. Each brand has their own fancy name for it. Basicly this overrides the OS security control and seprates the running software from the main environment. This can cause trouble with more complex software though. Like games in particular. It slows your system down too.

Yes, it's safer, but at what cost. Safety is relative, fear runs in the mind for the most part. Rent pron, don't DL or stream it = win.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Did Housecall (thanks for link), did AVIRA again, did Hitman Pro ALL clear. They all cant be wrong, can they? Decision time now. Convinces me that I have a FP. Why, is another question and opinions vary. Interesting that you have had a showing too 'S'. Did you ID the bad guy? I may try your solution if things go bad again.

TBH,

Everyone should be Turning off "REAL TIME PROTECTION" when installing any software or games.

Some Virus Scanners are set so strict by default, that any program running that tries to register a DLL will be flagged and throw up a prompt and it will say it's whatever virus closely matches the software string.

I dont see how that warrants negative rep...

Go on any major gaming website, the first thing they tell you to do to avoid corrupt installs is turn off RTP and UAC.

If you dont trust the publisher, dont install it.

Futher more, Adding the /Eagle Dynamics/ Folder to the exception list on most RTP Settings would help too.

Otherwise RTP will try and scan every file that is being Accessed by DCSW Install/Update, during mission loading and during Spooling for textures while in flight.

My entire "Games" folder is on my Exceptions list, but i still turn off RTP to install updates or new programs from trusted providers. If i dont trust them, I install them in a Windows 7 Sandbox VirtualMachine First.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I dont see how that warrants negative rep...

Go on any major gaming website, the first thing they tell you to do to avoid corrupt installs is turn off RTP and UAC.

If you dont trust the publisher, dont install it.

Futher more, Adding the /Eagle Dynamics/ Folder to the exception list on most RTP Settings would help too.

Otherwise RTP will try and scan every file that is being Accessed by DCSW Install/Update, during mission loading and during Spooling for textures while in flight.

My entire "Games" folder is on my Exceptions list, but i still turn off RTP to install updates or new programs from trusted providers. If i dont trust them, I install them in a Windows 7 Sandbox VirtualMachine First.

Sorry but whats RTP and UAC? I just jump in and I need help instaling world.

Real Time Protection (Most Virus Scanners/Malware Scanners have one now).

UAC, User Access Control (Introduced in Windows Vista, Control Application Access).

UAC isnt much of a Problem anymore, but Virus Scanners RTP are.

Only time I've encountered issues with UAC is when I was running setup for Studio Hardware, which has Many Many Drivers for different Equipment connected to a hub.

UAC wouldnt let the setup run at all, so I had to disable it. Had similar issues with a few other hardware pieces.

As for Virus Scanner's RTP, On several systems, I've seen it block files from registering (as soon as install process tried to register it, the program would pop up and say it was infected.) Or it would simply delete the file and cause setup to hang or crash, or delete the file after wards, so install finishes, but by time you use the application it's corrupted.

Shoot, the Class ID Generator APP used to Generate New Class IDs was blocked by Microsoft's own Virus Scanner once on my system with the Prompt saying it was "WIN.32/CLASS Generator", .. its like "realllly?, no kidding MS... I know what it is.."

They dont just block programs that have similar code to virus', they block programs that they (the software developers for the virus software) deem to be "unwanted" or "suspicious".

It can see a piece of code and prompt you and block the file for no reason once, and let it go every other time.

Even if the install finishes correctly, the RTP will constantly scan every file you open, preview or move into memory via file managing functions (copy/paste, etc).

So when your playing DCS, The Realtime Virus scanner Service Process scans every file in the background before it's used. So Loading times are lengthened.

Then while you're flying along, and the engine needs to load up more terrain textures or textures of objects coming into view, the virus scanner background process scans those before it goes to the VRAM.

Same with sounds, and other aspects that are read from the HDD either during loading or active spooling.

Which causes stuttering and FPS drops, and even crashes if the RTP decides to restrict access because it thinks it's a virus or unwanted program file.

95+% of Virus' are installed via internet sites, downloads or email attachments, so your "/Eagle Dynamics/" Folder and your "/Saved Games/DCS/" Folder can be added to the "Exception list" of most virus scanners, so you can freely access the data without having to wait for them to be scanned first.

When I play games competitively I disable my Virus Scanners RTP.

Then again I also Spool My entire Game folder into my Systen Ram

Edited by SkateZilla

This whole exercise has been really worthwhile from my point of view. I've learned a lot. I suppose its all in the mind and having the knowledge and confidence to switch of RTP. It does a lot in the background while playing any hard hitting game. I know from flying in FS2004 and FSX. I have to say I never turn mine off, partiularly if the game is reliant on access to the internet for some of its more eye catching and immersive elements, like for instance in FSX, real time weather. Where that comes from I don't have a clue but it works. The good news is for those interested is that I am now up and running in the DCS World with the latest software. Not in my case straightforward but after a few hours tweaking and fiddling with Avira and scanning I think, with lots of help, have cracked it, as we say. TTUA (I don't know whether I just made that up 'thanks to you all'

To prevent this.

Step 1 uninstall any Anti-Viris/Firewall programs you have other than windows firewall

Step 2 Download Firefox,Malawarebytes,AVG 2013 Free,CCCleaner

Step 3 Install all 4 mentioned above

Step 4 Have FireFox download to your DeskTop

Step 5 Go into AVG make your DeskTop a Excluded Zone

Step 6 Run Full Scans on AVG CCCleaner and Malawarebytes while your sleeping

Congrats! you are now protected for life without spending a dime, and all with minimal optimization for primitive tasks.

Now AVG wont Touch the Files But instead the Process(S) that sets off the Red Flags.Instead of Seeing " VIRIS CLICK TO DESTROY" like other scamware like Norton or Mcaffee It will say " A Viris/Trojon Process has been detected Stopped Processes (will name them) and here is the File they originated from, Remove or Ignore File and Process's?

Best things in life Are Free.

I don't even bother with anti-virus software since Windows Vista with User Access Control came out. I don't install suspicious software and haven't had any problems in YEARS!

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 2 years later...
Funny my Kaspersky Endpoint Security is also not a fan of DCS Updater, DCS need to fix this. It is not a solution to switch of the Anti-Virus protection for a legit software.

It is enough to use the crap StarForce Activation bullshit.

Can't you just whitelist the file in your virus scanner?

Also... this is a really old thread.. lol.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo