F/A-18D cockpit.

jrsteensen

Started work on the design of my F/A-18D Cockpit. Going to build the two cockpits separately, but able to roll to a tandem configuration. My 5yo son has the same enthusiasm for aviation I do, and he will make an awesome WSO. I do plan on keeping an override switch in the front cockpit though. :-P

First I'll do the front cockpit, and it is based off Hawkeye's wonderful Sketchup models.

Working on the CP. Simplified it slightly to use three LCD displays versus discrete displays.

Almost all parts will be .5 birch, .25 birch or 3D Printed ABS, with the exception of the panel faces, which will be 1/16" engravable acrylic.

The seat and the center tub are going to be split into two pieces, so each portion of the pit can easily be maneuvered through a standard interior door easily. (Don't want to build the proverbial boat in the basement.)

My first question, is how far is the face of the UFC from the face of the left and right eyebrow caution panels?

Now for the screen grabs:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Ah cool. I know a bit of Solidworks but that was back in 2007. I was mostly trained in CATIA V5. I was thinking on going back and taking a few courses to freshen up my skills a bit. I remember Solidworks being fun to use.

Edited by BHawthorne

Looks like a good start. I plan on using my 24" or 26" monitor for my front panel, I don't feel like having multi screens right now. I will also use this when I fly BMS, so it has to be versatile. How are you getting the panels and MFD's? You making them yourself or buying them somewhere?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Looks like a good start. I plan on using my 24" or 26" monitor for my front panel, I don't feel like having multi screens right now. I will also use this when I fly BMS, so it has to be versatile. How are you getting the panels and MFD's? You making them yourself or buying them somewhere?

Making them myself. I'll use a 3D Printed base and buttons, with a layer of 1/16th engravable acrylic for the legends.

Very nice! Can't wait to see rest of it :joystick:

See this manual: http://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-ABCD-000.pdf

Everything you need is at the end ;)

That is what I've been using, however it doesn't show a side view - the UFC projects farther forward than the rest of the MIP panels.

Been teaching myself Altium...should have learned it years ago. It's leaps and bounds better eCAD program than Eagle. It even lets me export my PCB model from SolidWorks, and use it as the base of the PCB with all the keep out areas, mounting holes, etc already defined.

This is freaking cool.

Look at these beauties. Canopy Jettison lever and Seat Arming lever from a Marine F/A-18C.

Was going to do the exterior in a Navy paint scheme, but guess I have to paint her in Marine markings from the VMFA-235. Got these from a maintainer who worked on the bird and had them kicking around his shed.

IMG_20130305_091819.thumb.jpg.6076c5c5b36ee293f4308beca5d7fa02.jpg

IMG_20130305_091840.thumb.jpg.30a8fb334693d609720511ae30c94df0.jpg

Nice effort!

I realise there is a way to isolate the instruments in the configs (not sure exactly, but I can see the MFCDs and gauges on a mini LCD).

Can this be done with the HUD, so to project from a horizontally mounted LCD to reflect of a HUD combiner? I mean, can the HUD display information be isolated to project onto combiner glass?

Rectum non bustus

The only one i have seen in on the sim store and the only thing for sale is a copy but the price is about what i would expect no ware near the cost of an F-16 LGP Drat late again

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Nice effort!

I realise there is a way to isolate the instruments in the configs (not sure exactly, but I can see the MFCDs and gauges on a mini LCD).

Can this be done with the HUD, so to project from a horizontally mounted LCD to reflect of a HUD combiner? I mean, can the HUD display information be isolated to project onto combiner glass?

Yes. Planning on using an LCD with teleprompter glass.

Some absolutely amazing experience here. I'm impressed. I think I might have found a way to mount a 9" USB touchscreen directly in the DDI and MFCD, right behind the button bezel with the proper extension from the face of the MIP. The only downside is it will stick out the top corners of the DDI/MFCDs, but I think I found a way to at least make it unobtrusive. Is it mm for mm accurate to the real thing? No. Is it functional, with COTS displays and therefore a couple hundred dollars each instead of thousands? Yes.

I guess it all depends on how you hide it I have reworked the A-10 M.I.P to hold two TFTs for the MFCDS and they will be totally hidden once the glare shield is in place. I have tried to do the same for the RWR but it is just nit going to work so I will see if i can get a real one to work as Mike Powell did

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

In your drawings the standby instrument holes seem a bit too close to each other. You have to leave some room for the bezels. :)

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

In your drawings the standby instrument holes seem a bit too close to each other. You have to leave some room for the bezels. :)

That is an artifact from when I was going to place a 12" LCD behind each side of the MIP. Now that I am going to 5X USB 9" monitors in the MIP, it will get shifted as necessary when I get to that point.