Virtual Aerobatics Website Launched

VH-Rock

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible to sometimes mix up the map with a night/evening version and a stormy/rainy version for a few hours per day or something?

Would be cool with some diversity. Also, formation flying with shiny position lights on ;)

Landing on the carriers with the huey during a thunderstorm?

Just throwing ideas out there :)

Edited by EchoMasterMind

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would it be possible to sometimes mix up the map with a night/evening version and a stormy/rainy version for a few hours per day or something?

Would be coolt with some diversity. Also, formation flying with shiny position lights on ;)

Landing on the carriers with the huey during a thunderstorm?

Just throwing ideas out there :)

We experimented with some clouds on the server and a number of people said that they suffered with some FPS drop with them and it was unplayable with so many aircraft in the area.

We had to make the decision to leave the server to be a day and clear weather mission so that as many people can fly as possible.

Where we can we want every one who wants to be involved to be able to fly with us and have a good time learning and spending time with the other pilots

Pikey, Glad that you like the server, we are so very pleased that people are enjoying coming to fly with us :)

See you in the skies

Pman

Edited by Pman

In addition to what Pman has just said, We're really very glad to see that our the time and effort put into the server is well justified - the response from many people has been very positive :)

Echo, I personally would love to a server with dynamic weather running through different seasons. Whilst that would be very, very cool to do, it's just not practical for us as many people would log on and find they couldn't fly. We do try to incorporate everybody, but the primary focus of the server is formation flying / aerobatics - which, of course, require good weather.

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Been having a blast flying in the server lately. Had some laughs while learning to fly the Huey the other night, good times. It's a challenging machine to fly well but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it now. :joystick: Thanks for all your work in keeping the server running!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Cooler Master HAF X Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W PSU | EVGA Z270 Classified K |

Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz | 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD |

16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 @ 3200 MHZ | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | WD 6TB 7200 RPM |

Oculus Rift | TM HOTAS Warthog | 27" ASUS VG278H 3D monitor | Windows 10 64 bit |

Been fun flying with you so far too Ray!

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Thanks for hosting this server, me, and i'm sure many others really appreciate you guys running it. I've had many nice screenshots while I've been playing here, and practiced some of my formation skills too :D

b29848d17ecb41fdb1fb45651dbc14f1.png

3d44b1bfdf39ad5bab3b0bdee1b0a3b9.png

0d07173dac00b1ca5ddf4ab37bb37d2f.png

9034d973c5038ee56dc64dd640fa025b.png

Thank you for the best free flight server on DCS! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great Screenshots there mate!

Was some great flying happening this weekend, I know I can speak for Rock in saying that we are both so happy with the reception our server has had from community and we look forward to many more mad formations!

Pman

it's nice to see so many pilots that enjoy just flying without combat even though with flying mashines made for war. ;)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Hi guys,

As the title says, the server will be down from tomorrow (Monday 13th May) and will be back up by the weekend. Whilst this may be an inconvenience for many people, we have become victims of our own success and so some updates are necessary for the server. Pman & Max have already spent a considerable amount of time and money updating the server machine, now we are needing to upgrade the connection itself (Again). We've provided some stats below to show the sheer volume of traffic using the server:

• As of Wednesday, over 540 unique pilots from 14 countries have used the server.
  • Almost 25 GB of data is uploaded every single day.
  • During week days, there are an average of 17 players on at all times.
  • And SDSL line has been installed, but the entire network that the server uses now needs to be recabled.
  • The new SDSL line costs £125 + VAT, per calender month.
  • The server machine, built from scratch since we started this project, has cost over £650 to date.
  • Over the last 2 months, we have had a 97% Up time.

As you can see, running the server is not cheap. We've recently had a few people ask about contributing to the running costs of the server and so, a paypal account has been set up for those who wish to help. All donations received are greatly appreciated by all of the admin team here.

Details here: http://www.virtual-aerobatics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=214

Rock, Pman, MaxKhaos, Shadhoh

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

It's a shame it will be down all week... but at least it's for a good cause. Thanks to all of you for putting the money, time and effort into running the server.

Yeh :(

We have tried doing it on the fly so to speak but there really isnt any more we can do without taking the whole network offline.

We thought it was best to take off during some week days then over a weekend when people want to fly

Add on top of that we also have to work our day jobs so its only something we can work on in our spare time

Not an easy decision but there isnt alot we can do about it, As Rock says victims of our own success, but have no fear when its back it will be better then ever :)

Pman

Was great flying the Huey with Pat, Ray and the guys this past week.

Once the server is back up ill offer some formation instruction sessions on pre-arranged dates.

That sounds really good Chris, we very much appreciate your support :thumbup:

Was a lot of fun last evening! Though my carrier landing skills in the Huey have room for improvement, I managed a nice "pilot pick-up"...:D

Nice to see these kind of free community server. Looking forward to join again for the occasional session.

Spongy deck onboard the Carl Vinson:

attachment.php?attachmentid=81459&stc=1&d=1368375682

Pilot aboard:

attachment.php?attachmentid=81460&stc=1&d=1368375682

Carrier_landing.thumb.jpg.a836bed79ea57071a76eadb5955f5fe9.jpg

Pilot_aboard.thumb.jpg.2699d4b728df7b1ee0ce6aea0bd67772.jpg

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Once the server is back up ill offer some formation instruction sessions on pre-arranged dates.

wow, I'm seriously interested!

that's really cool to spend time helping other pilots ! :thumbup:

with such sessions you will attract even more people on the server and as we get more skilled why not organize air shows? ok, let's see first sessions results :D