NAVAL DIVISION someone ?

toni

Hey guys, some third party group could be interested in developing accurate fully controlable 3D vessels and start a proper Naval design for DCS world?

Now that Soviet navy will stay permanently on the Mediterranean,this would be cool in conjunction with the 6th Fleet.

How many players will it take to control a DCS level military vessel? ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Perhaps a PT boat, to go with the Mustang, would be doable.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Is what I mean. Building detailed naval units with some 3D stations available like Bridge,CIC,Decks,hangars, and concerning its systems if exact data is unknown,to approach them as much as posible and make it beleivable.

About a Carrier,the last Improved Nimitz class CVN + its scorts,thus a full CBG (Carrier Battle Group) would be really cool,implementing ressuply capability(weapons+aviation fuel),mooring, etc.

I would kill to get naval units. Any level of detail is ok, but something comparable to the excellent sim "Dangerous Waters" would be awesome.

If i had any 3D/code knowledge i would already work on it, however the only thing i'm good with, is a wrench. Sorry !

• 3 weeks later...

Naval? If ED is going to branch out GROUND combat would be a much better direction to go in my opinion (more sophisticated than CA I mean). It would most certainly have a larger customer base.. Ship to ship combat would take a lot of water physics and a sophisticated damage model.

To me it would make much more sense to design a stand alone naval sim that interfaces with DCS World. You would not need to model the whole DCS world to the naval sim. Just the sea and a few miles inland. Locations could be solved using a 6 axis plotter (this would give approximate locations and behaviors but would not burden the cross title with physics calculations). Models could be complex in one sim and swapped for a simplified model in the other (DCS would use simple ship models and Naval would use simple aircraft and land vehicle models).

Example for DCS to Naval

DCS Aircraft ID Su25t (external model)

Damage Model

Physics Calculations

(6axis) X Y Z P (pitch) Y(yaw) R (roll)

Naval Aircraft ID Simplified Su25T (external model)

No Damage Model

(6axis) X Y Z P Y R

Example Naval to DCS

Naval Ship ID Nikolai Kuznetsov (external model)

Damage Model

Physics Calculations

(6axis) X Y Z P Y R

DCSl Ship ID Simplified Nikolai Kuznetsov (external model)

No Damage Model(

6axis) X Y Z P Y R

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

a DCS Naval has part in the future (near or far) of World, No a external standalone product, the World theat explaing them:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1480510&postcount=1

DCS is a world simulation engine permitting the user to operate or direct a growing number of combat and civilian aircraft, ground vehicles and ships, from different historical eras and in different geographical locations.

A naval module need a implemented multi-post feature (first steeps on UH-1H, and Hawk) and a sensor, weapon and physics improved to the naval environment (very complex). The ground unit has damage model improved, but for now, we don't see a example on DCS:W. A example we expected on a DCS Naval was the old Dangerous Waters naval simulator, not only a improve to ships and subs, also the naval maritime air-planes and helos.

A simplified model can be "useful" on a early develop stage (integrated on World, no a stand-alone), but not usseful if a 3rd Party can be make a "harcore" naval module (sonar, ECM, countermeasures, landing craft landing docks, carrier hangars, data-links, sonar propagation, antisubmarine warfare, and a long etc), we need the future EDGE / World can be improve that features to move them.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon I have seen your work. I know you are working on naval units for DCS. I respect your opinion. That being said I believe plugging naval units into DCS can not provide the immersion of a stand alone product. The water physics alone would make the stand alone worth it. I honestly believe a cross compatible stand alone product to Silent Hunter standards would be a better solution. I hope you make me eat my words.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the actual water physics has a problem of the old Lomac engine, no applicable to a ship or other naval unit (no submarine water environment), but when I say before, EDGE can be a branch of new capability on the future, if We can be a similar SH or DW style water / submarine physics has only a time question (similar a Dynamic Campaign discussion, expected appears some "professional project" and push them), that can be take some years to develop them, but sure we can see them.

Edit: I found a ground damage model improved example, the ammunition warehouse explosion animation.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Yeah, I agree with Darkwolf. Water physics not good enough in DCS World for a naval sim? Upgrade the water physics. ED has the source code, so they can change anything they want.

The only reason they are so bad is because there has never been a good enough reason to make them good, so resources get dedicated elsewhere. It would only need to calculate better water physics when you actually make contact with the water, using an AFM (Advanced Fluid Model), so it wouldn't lag up DCS for anyone not playing a ship, and all the AI ships can just use an SFM.

For everyone asking for a standalone sim linked to DCS, that is against the spirit of DCS, which is a modular and very robust structure that could be used to simulate almost anything vehicle related (possibly even beyond). It would take more effort to develop an entirely new standalone platform and then synchronize it with the existing one than to just upgrade what we already have.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How many players will it take to control a DCS level military vessel? ;)

Depends... Are we simulating hot bunking? :cry:

:smilewink:

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

imho, the fluid simulation is not the more needed. I wouldn't care if it stays as it.

It's the sound propagation in water that is important to simulate. :)

How many players will it take to control a DCS level military vessel?

Hmmmm. Me! Problem is how many player will we need to handle a DCS level military vessel if it hasn't a large level of automation... :)

I think a good start would be to have a Fleet Command level of control, then afterward, get closer of Dangerous Waters. Then why not, more serious stuff.

I spent quite some playing Dangerous Waters in Multiplayer games with some French players (including real ASW people), it's ....long... but fun games. Never though spending hours in a virtual SSN could be fun.