Advanced Flight Model - (AFM). What actually is it?

There is really no need to define AFM by technical definition for a player asking like the OP since it's not very meaningful to interpret the technical details.

All the ED AFM's i've flown feel smooth, they appear to 'float' and react to angle of attack and speed correctly. As stated previously the SFM's feels tight and on rails. The noticeable parts are dealing with high speed and low speed and how each feels - example in point if you turn in a car at 10kph and 50 kph. But the consumer should take away with them that AFM as provided so far by ED is better to play, even for non hard-core players, it's more enjoyable and gives a better feeling of flight, regardless of how it was done, which will always be over my head.

And it is VERY noticeable and personally when I want revenge on a multiplayer server and hop into an F-15c, I last 5 minutes before I hate it so much to the point I'd rather dogfight in the A-10. It would be better with a half decent controller though, not the XBOX 360 controller some dude was using the other night on the WAR multiplayer server :)

I hope that answers the question for the OP, the SU-25T isn't the ballerina of the skies so its AFM's isn't the best example, but hell, if the Su-27 wasn't the most interesting proposition for an AFM since the dawn of time...

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm not with you, you call a successful landing without wings, AFM?

You only see wingtips from the Su25A cockpit, so most likely only section of wings broke off. The remaining section of wings provided enough lift to keep the plane in the air. And if they had the same portion missing then they both generated the same amount of lift, not causing severe roll tendency, which you experience when you damage only one wing.

You only see wingtips from the Su25A cockpit, so most likely only section of wings broke off. The remaining section of wings provided enough lift to keep the plane in the air. And if they had the same portion missing then they both generated the same amount of lift, not causing severe roll tendency, which you experience when you damage only one wing.

Could be 'likely', but we don't really know, If the ailerons still worked, it would be possible to land, but I doubt ailerons would work if outer parts of wings is missing too.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

You dont "need" ailerons to land. They are preferred though. You can still keep roll authority, especially on swept wing, through using rudder. (On straight wing you can too, but your rudders roll authority is smaller.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'm not with you, you call a successful landing without wings, AFM?

No... I call AFM the fact that instead of a game popping the message "game over" when something bad happened to my plane it continued to calculate a "model" of flight dynamics of my stricken plane. That's why is called advanced... is not called final and ultimate either ;).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

That's why is called advanced... is not called final and ultimate either ;).

What about xxxxxxxtreme flight model? :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Welll hopefully, SFM won't exist in DCS World by the time it hits 2.0. Choppers already have a very nice flight model in comparison to the aircraft. Can't wait for that day when every FC3 aircraft has AFM.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

What about xxxxxxxtreme flight model? :)

What about YOLOFM, Cuz alot of people will be crashing and only living once.. hahaha

Welll hopefully, SFM won't exist in DCS World by the time it hits 2.0. Choppers already have a very nice flight model in comparison to the aircraft. Can't wait for that day when every FC3 aircraft has AFM.

At least for the Player Flyables... putting in an AFM for all of the AI will be a pretty serious effort.

When will we get AFM's for the Hummers and Tanks! ( j/k)

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Another example what AFM is in DCS:

(this is very often a problem in other simulations)

My joystick throttle axis is mapped to the P51's elevator trim wheel and it generally works correctly. However, when I move the physical wheel, the virtual trim wheel moves at a constant speed and thus lags behind my input.

Why doesn't the trim wheel move at the same speed as my control inputs? Imagine if the stick and rudder controls behaved the same, we would never be able to fly. huh.gif As it is, I have to make several attempts to set the trim as I want it.

Here is the punchline: The stick and rudders behave the same ! But you hardly notice it in a light aircraft like the P-51D.

All control surfaces in DCS simulate a mechanical friction that is representing the time you will need to move it for a 'average' human.

One example are the rudders in the Ka-50 - you are not able to move them from left to right in a fraction of a second. The mechanical hinges and hydraulics are taken into account.

And now about the trim-wheels: The real one are connected to pulleys that makes it impossible to move them as quick as your input device can without braking your fingers .

It's a sacrifice to have a AdvancedFlightModel instead putting your inputs 1:1 into the sim.

If this wouldn't be the case - you would be able to do with the plane what would never happen in RL.

One solution would be to add a great friction and/or a gears transmission to your Trim input , so you also wouldn't be able to move it all the way within a second.

And that's a very good thing in DCS - I only can shook my head when I see a heavy plane in X-plane (for instance) that is able to move the control-surfaces within a second from one max to the other - and the developers claim that they nailed the flight-model down as good as it can be .

Have a look how I modified my rudders to not 'over-react' :

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1745115#post1745115

And another one example:

high attention is paid to the FFB behaviour - things that non-FFB users will never notice - but it helps so massive to fly the plane "with your butt" - FFB is not only for helicopters.

...and it is absolutely brilliant made in the P-51D, but it is so subtle sometimes that you can't show it with a video - you have to feel it . But it helps so massive to ride it on the 'edge' without stalling.

Edited by PeterP