DCS F-35A

Wags

Cool, a place to charge my phone! :P

Next thing you know, you go to shoot a target and end up dialing your Mom instead. Whoops.

Either that, or *somehow* it ends up programming your mother in-law from your phones contact list, into the targeting system ;)

DCS F-35A Follow us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DCSF35

DCS F-35A Kickstarter:

DCS F-35A Website:

http://www.kinneyinteractive.com/#!dcs-f-35-lightning-ii/c1bom

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either that, or *somehow* it ends up programming your mother in-law from your phones contact list, into the targeting system ;)

Now thats GOT to be worth $150-$200 million!!!!! :thumbup:

-Sharpe

Edited by Sharpe_95

Yes, it is more complex. But not because it's a touch screen, more so as the functionality is way more complex as such. But I don't see any engine/platform specific issues here - from that perspective it is just another MFD. All the 3d math is already done elsewhere - thats just a basic feature of our 6dof cockpits.

Not quite that simple, IMHO. Current MFDs are not clickable and their content cannot be repositioned. Here you have one big screen where you can click anywhere and the function of those clicks depends on what's on screen and where. So, it's more like having several touch "MFD"s which can be resized and repositioned all over one big screen area. I guess you can reuse some very basic MFD code, but have to code the whole layer above it and add many new functions.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

All that big coding intensive screen issue aside, maybe that huge touch screen (even compartmentalized) brings us one step closer to 3d dynamic interfaces everyone can see in sci-fi movies/games. Personally though, I'm not too fond of such an advanced fighter handled with an Iphone [harmless sarcasm]. I certainly dig the good old overwhelming switches and buttons everywhere whose functions are accessible at a 'finger's tip' rather than in MFD's sub-menus [Harmless skepticism]. Of course that's an uneducated opinion given how little I know about the actual in-flight handling of the F-35.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sorry but i dont know how kickstarter works exactly, so is it means all the backers will get back their pledge and KI will start this DCS project without any pre-support anyway ?

No money will be charged. They will find another mean of funding. But people who pledge for OPEVAL will still be in OPEVAL.

Acer Predator 17X | i7 7820HK | 32GB DDR4-2400 | GTX1080 | 2x LiteOn 256GB SSD (RAID0) | HGST 1TB@7200RPM HDD | Creative SBX G5 | Win10 x64 FCU | VKB Gladiator Mk.2+Gametrix ECS, TM Cougar FCC3/VKB Fat King Cobra Mk.4/VKB GF Mk.2 w/ MCG Pro (coming)+Warthog Throttle | MFD Cougar Pack | TM TFRP, Saitek Combat, BRD MS3/F3(coming) | Logitech G13 | CST L-TRAC 2545W Trackball | TIR5+TCP, PS3Eye+Trackhat Clip Plus/UTC Mk.2 | HyperX Cloud Alpha | Playseat Flight Simulator/Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog

As they said, they will cheat and pledge their own money.

That is not what they said at all.

Acer Predator 17X | i7 7820HK | 32GB DDR4-2400 | GTX1080 | 2x LiteOn 256GB SSD (RAID0) | HGST 1TB@7200RPM HDD | Creative SBX G5 | Win10 x64 FCU | VKB Gladiator Mk.2+Gametrix ECS, TM Cougar FCC3/VKB Fat King Cobra Mk.4/VKB GF Mk.2 w/ MCG Pro (coming)+Warthog Throttle | MFD Cougar Pack | TM TFRP, Saitek Combat, BRD MS3/F3(coming) | Logitech G13 | CST L-TRAC 2545W Trackball | TIR5+TCP, PS3Eye+Trackhat Clip Plus/UTC Mk.2 | HyperX Cloud Alpha | Playseat Flight Simulator/Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog

Not quite that simple, IMHO. Current MFDs are not clickable and their content cannot be repositioned. Here you have one big screen where you can click anywhere and the function of those clicks depends on what's on screen and where. So, it's more like having several touch "MFD"s which can be resized and repositioned all over one big screen area. I guess you can reuse some very basic MFD code, but have to code the whole layer above it and add many new functions.

It is technically no big difference if you click on a "mfd button" or a "pressure sensitive area on the screen". It is all the same: just an area on your monitor, located somewhere in the 3d space of the virtual cockpit.

The F-35 system is as such much more complex as it is more flexible and deals with much more information than the average A-10C MFD. Correct. That is where the complexity lies, but not the "physical" difference between a touch screen and a MFD (as they are both only virtual anyways).

All that big coding intensive screen issue aside, maybe that huge touch screen (even compartmentalized) brings us one step closer to 3d dynamic interfaces everyone can see in sci-fi movies/games. Personally though, I'm not too fond of such an advanced fighter handled with an Iphone [harmless sarcasm]. I certainly dig the good old overwhelming switches and buttons everywhere whose functions are accessible at a 'finger's tip' rather than in MFD's sub-menus [Harmless skepticism]. Of course that's an uneducated opinion given how little I know about the actual in-flight handling of the F-35.

I wonder, how feasible such a touch screen system is in reality - especially in a jet.

I hate using my smartphone. I do not use it because touch screens are great, I use it because there seems to be nothing better out there ... I would prefer a hardware keyboard (of decent size) always over a touch screen. The tactile feedback of a touch screen is just underwhelming/non-existant. It is okay for tapping on an icon, but for more complex things, it lacks the physical feedback.

So what about F-35 pilots? They always have to look at the screen to be able to use it. They can not just feel the position of a switch, not to mention doing complex system manipulations "blindly" ...

That is not what they said at all.

Hi to all - just wanted to comment on the budget. We are adding R & D money from my company to make the F-35 goal. The Kickstarter funds get us to where we need to be and also allows me to bring into the project, in the early stages and for flight test, a dedicated group of Simulation Pilots. Great things can be done with enough people working together on a single goal!

That is exactly what they said.

DCS Wishlist: Ka 26

As they said, they will cheat and pledge their own money.

Don't spread false informations, if the project won't be funded (and it seems clear that it won't be at this point), bakers will not be charged and the Kickstarter project will be cancelled (the KS project, not the project itself).

When they said they would their own money, they means that they would add their money at the top of those $75k IF the Kickstarter project will reach the goal. If not they will use their own money + they will find alternate method of investment.

as i understand KI can add their money - fill up/complete - at final minutes of founding period into their KS project to reach their goal as well

they need only a few simpit pledger/backers and they will reach the goal

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

Does it even matter what they do?

End result will be the same. The F-35 will be made.

If the KS goal does not succeed no money will be taken.

If the KS goal succeed, money will be drawn and you will get your rewards when it's done.

If they top up the KS them self to reach the goal, nothing changes if they reached the target. Money will be drawn and people will get their rewards when it's done.

I don't see the problem here.

Relax and hope for a successful campaign :)

If they top up the KS them self to reach the goal, nothing changes if they reached the target. Money will be drawn and people will get their rewards when it's done.

Well, if they inject money into the KS and then, during development, run out of money (I'm not saying they are going to) and can't deliver the rewards they would be in pretty big trouble.

Well, if they inject money into the KS and then, during development, run out of money (I'm not saying they are going to) and can't deliver the rewards they would be in pretty big trouble.

Experience

With over twenty-five years of designing, building and integrating simulation hardware and software - Kinney Interactive is a company you can trust - on time on budget

Stop being such a pessimist :)

as i understand KI can add their money

Absolutely NOT! When you launch a project on KS, you say: "we need that amount to do this thing", in other words the goal is a sort of assurance for the baker.

The pledger cannot inject his own money for the sole purpose of reaching the goal, because this would circumvent the meaning of Kickstarter.

Wouldn't you think that if it was only a matter of "total", the project wouldn't be cancelled, even if it wouldn't reach the target?

But it's not: the bakers are baking knowing that there's a certain number of external investors giving their own money, funding a REAL (KS) BUDGET, inject your own money is faking the kickstarter budget.

I would avoid any company prepared to do such thing with the purpose of grab bakers money, and I would invite anyone to report such situations to Kickstarter (I don't mean this project, I mean in general).

Does it even matter what they do?

End result will be the same. The F-35 will be made.

If the KS goal does not succeed no money will be taken.

If the KS goal succeed, money will be drawn and you will get your rewards when it's done.

Relax and hope for a successful campaign :)

What the hell you talking about? Yes it matters! There's other methods to collect variable funds (donations), Kickstarter is a platform PER project, you cannot scam ppl saying: "we need $75k" .. but after 20 days saying: "...but maybe the half are enough" .. it's not against the rule, it's even "amateurish" .. and I wouldn't trust any person or company having a such [NOT] plan.

• Like 1

I find people in this thread are understanding simple wordings in the weirdest ways! Or maybe it is I who just misunderstand. From what I gathered, their statement about funding the F-35 with their own money is NOT to inject it in the KS project. It is only a response to the growing concern that one can't possibly develop such an F-35 project with only $75K. Hence their clarification on saying that the $75K are ONLY to hire more coders/devs, finish the project quicker and work on the multiple variants right on, explaining that the base funding is already covered by his company. If the KS is unsuccessful they never said (afaik) they'd inject money to cheat KS, that'd be wrong in many ways. Should it fail, it'll still be done, only at a much slower pace.

Now If it is I who misunderstood or missed official statement from KI stating they indeed would inject money to cheat Kickstarter, that would for sure earn my disrespect, to enunciate it in a polite manner.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

as i see the problem on KS they can start only an "all or nothing" project

so if they will not reach $75K - with or without their own money top/filled up - then they will "lose" (at that time) $30-40-50K which probably would be enough for a good start

so in that way they will able to start only from $zero instead of start from $30-40-50K + their money :(

(and i dont know KS rules)

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

Stop being such a pessimist :)

I'm pretty optimistic for a pessimist. :huh:

Now If it is I who misunderstood or missed official statement from KI stating they indeed would inject money to cheat Kickstarter, that would for sure earn my disrespect, to enunciate it in a polite manner.

I don't think anybody knows exactly what they mean.

It's very unclear wether they mean adding money from their company to the KS goal or to the overall goal to develop the F-35.

We are adding R & D money from my company to make the F-35 goal.