steam and ED DCS World reg key's

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Matt just recently answered that on his YouTube page (comments under the new A-10A video)

Matt Wagner 9 hours ago

If you wish to play FC3, the Steam is not an option. FC3 will not be released on Steam.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why should someone with the Black Shark 2 upgrade be forced to pay the difference? They already bought Black Shark 1 which is why they were discounted in the first place. Their end product is the same, Black Shark 2 in DCS World. The only difference is that they probably paid more money overall and have to jump through extra hoops to install their product.

It would be easier on ED's part to simply remove the upgrade version and change it to a normal Black Shark 2 version. Everyone who has a registered copy of Black Shark 1 and the upgrade gets the full version of Black Shark 2. As they are registered on ED's website to download it in the first place this should not be hard to figure out.

For owners of the Steam version of Black Shark 1 this is even simpler. On Steam if you own certain products you can automatically discount a sequel or another product. For example, owners of Red Orchestra 2 got a 25% discount to Rising Storm (addon/sequel). On Steam, owners of Black Shark 1 can get a 50% discount on the Black Shark 2 DLC for DCS World. Its simple, allows them to upgrade without any additional measures taken and is probably simpler for ED's tech support.

+1

I like Steam, and I'd like to move DCS there, but not without FC3 planes and BS2 (I have BS2 upgrade version).

Edited by empeck

Actually, Matt just recently answered that on his YouTube page (comments under the new A-10A video)

I had a feeling that would happen, I'm sure it has to do with the Ubisoft Lock-on requirement.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

ED have done the best they can, they managed to get our existing keys to work through Steam but this situation with Ubisoft is stopping them from releasing FC3. I have FC3 but I want to use Steam so Ill buy the separate modules when I can, if that means ED can move on past Ubisoft/Lock-on then it's a small price to pay

I had a feeling that would happen, I'm sure it has to do with the Ubisoft Lock-on requirement.

Of course it does, as I have posted before, it would make no sense for Steam to sell a product which requires another product which they are unable to sell. It would annoy people.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Of course it does, as I have posted before, it would make no sense for Steam to sell a product which requires another product which they are unable to sell. It would annoy people.

yeah, that and steam doesnt wanna send their people to U-Play.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ok well what about people THAT own FC3 and get the upgraded planes for free. Have access to keys in order to use them Via steam? Since we can't use FC3 because on the Pre-install Lock-on requirement? Seems logical and keeps the FC3 owners happy.

I still don't understand how to get my DCS modules transferred to Steam.. I have Steam.. I also installed the DCS on Steam, and have had Steam with other games and sims for a couple years. But how to get my FCS, A-10C and more over there. I don't want to uninstall my DCS products and DCS world until I know it will transfer over correctly. Maybe the project isn't fully ready yet, or al the instructions are not out yet.. I did see some instructions to move FC3 over, but they failed when I tried. I also would prefer not to lose my stick and control settings...

thanx..

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

i got Black Shark and the upgrade same question for me as above...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I did see some instructions to move FC3 over, but they failed when I tried.

thanx..

I don't know what instructions you saw but FC3 will not ever be available/supported on Steam so...

OK, but there are still two more question:

Q1. Why ED just gave this list to Steam? I do not believe someone from Steam just emailed ED like:

Steam: "hey folks, we'd like to have list of all serials, can you send it to us?"

ED: "yeah of course, we always like to send whatever to whoever asks for it!"

Q2. What is Steam going to do with that list? Even if it is just list of serials, they are still unique identification of customers (even if not to Steam). I do not like the idea of Steam harvesting some info and sending it back to ED like "customer with this key purchased these products on Steam" etc...

All I can say is :doh::doh::doh::doh: I think your finfoil hat is too tight..:music_whistling:

OK Guys, Stop with the Conspiracy theories.

People wanted to be able to activate their Externally Purchased Keys on Steam, that's All that was done.

Steam receives a Plain TXT List of Valid Starfoce Activation Keys that have been issued for Each Module.

its a List of Serials for Each Module,

which looks like:

XX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

So when you register your module with steam,

When you paste your Serial Code, it's in their database of valid serials.

It's a Starforce Valid Serials List, nothing in regards to Customer Info is needed.

There are Several Games that used the same/similar method.

They (Starforce or Publisher) Updates Steam's Serial Number Database when you buy a copy of ArmA II from Walmart, and When you buy a DISC copy via Amazon/Online Retailer.

All that's being done (my "theory", since Im not c0ff, I cant tell you how it's actually done)

is the list of Serial Numbers purhcased before the Agreement with Steam is exported from the Serial number Database, Saved as a specific File, Sent to Steam, Steam Takes that file, and uses their software to Import the Valid Serial Numbers into their Database.

They Dont even have to send steam any info. Steam could simply connect to the key server at Ed and check if its valid.

Does your FC3 key give you access to the individual modules on ED's site? :music_whistling:

In a way yes. If you own fc3 you get the new AFM and pits for free so why not also give the modules seperatly if your a fc3 owner?

In a way yes. If you own fc3 you get the new AFM and pits for free so why not also give the modules seperatly if your a fc3 owner?

Because that would provide owners of FC3 the ability to, essentially, use the product without having to install LockOn. This would certainly violate the spirit of their contract with Ubisoft but, quite likely, also some specific terms wherein ED cannot intentionally aid in the subversion of the Ubisoft licensed property.

I still don't understand how to get my DCS modules transferred to Steam.. I have Steam.. I also installed the DCS on Steam, and have had Steam with other games and sims for a couple years. But how to get my FCS, A-10C and more over there. I don't want to uninstall my DCS products and DCS world until I know it will transfer over correctly. Maybe the project isn't fully ready yet, or al the instructions are not out yet.. I did see some instructions to move FC3 over, but they failed when I tried. I also would prefer not to lose my stick and control settings...

thanx..

FC3 will not be available to transfer into Steam. You will have to re-purchase the individual modules as they become available. This is due to a licensing issue with Ubisoft and the Lock On series. This will never change.

The same extends to the Black Shark 2 upgrade. It is far too much work for Eagle Dynamics to try and cross check every previously purchased BS1/BS2 key pair and issue new BS2 keys to everyone who owns both. Your games work perfectly fine with the version of DCS World that will forever continue to be supported via dcs-world.com, if you want to use them with Steam you will have to re-purchase the stand-alone version of Black Shark 2 at this point in time.

UH-1H is not available via Steam yet as it is still considered a beta module. Once UH-1H is out of beta, it will show up in the Steam DLC list and the license key you are currently using should transfer over to Steam.

As for the other modules, you must open steam and go to the Games menu then select "Activate a Product on Steam". Follow the menu prompts, paste your activation key as provided by Eagle Dynamics for whichever module(s) you wish to activate, and click OK. It should automatically show up within DCS: World. You will have to repeat this process for each module you wish to transfer over to Steam.

Once you launch a mission, it will re-prompt you for these activation keys so that it can register with the Eagle Dynamics activation server and unlock your modules unless you have already registered them on your computer in which case I believe it just uses the activation data already stored on your computer.

As stated previously, FC3 will never be available to transfer into Steam due to licensing issues with Ubisoft and the Lock On series, but you can re-purchase the individual modules through Steam OR just keep around a separate install of DCS: World with just the FC3 planes installed. Personally I'll be re-purchasing the modules just for consolidation (as sending the extra $15 every few months is really not that big of a deal to me and I wish to support the developers).

Also as stated previously, UH-1H should be available for transfer into Steam once it has moved out of beta. Again, if you wish to fly the Huey, just keep a separate version of DCS: World installed that has the Huey module activated.

Edited by Psyrixx

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

Because that would provide owners of FC3 the ability to, essentially, use the product without having to install LockOn. This would certainly violate the spirit of their contract with Ubisoft but, quite likely, also some specific terms wherein ED cannot intentionally aid in the subversion of the Ubisoft licensed property.

What? It would be no different than releasing the planes alone on Steam. If Ed wants to give those that already bought fc3 the planes seperatly, like they are doing anyway, then its none of ubisofts business. Ubisoft already got theirs when I bought fc3 if Ed wants to gift me modules what business is it of theirs? Certainly if Ed can sell them they can also give them away if they want to.

It should automatically show up within DCS: World.

It should be noted that none of the modules will show up in your Steam library, since they are DLC.

Also, as with other F2P games on Steam, DCS World will only show up in your library when it is installed. If you have already registered your keys with Steam then the modules will automatically install whenever/wherever you install the Steam version of DCS World.

:megalol: I laughed so hard at this thread and the flame war that erupted... Phew....

I have to say though. I'm amazed at the amount of people that are still in an uproar of the BS2 upgrade. It states very clearly that by purchasing it, it requires BS1 to be activated. Its an extra step that you agreed to when you purchased the module for a discount, and now you want them to give you the full version instead. :doh: Perhaps ED will create a system in which you can trade in your upgrade key and pay the difference for the full version.

As up:

:doh: you had to buy ds1 to get bs2 which is just an upgrade to make it dcsw compatible. In short we already paid for it twice although we got a break on the second version. Bs1 +bs2 cost more than the game as is. Nothing free here just want to move what we've already bought at 1.5 times the cost.

What? It would be no different than releasing the planes alone on Steam. If Ed wants to give those that already bought fc3 the planes seperatly, like they are doing anyway, then its none of ubisofts business. Ubisoft already got theirs when I bought fc3 if Ed wants to gift me modules what business is it of theirs? Certainly if Ed can sell them they can also give them away if they want to.

If that were the case, then what is to stop ED from 'gifting' all FC3 owners with a chunk of code that eliminates the LockOn requirement (that is all the modules are). After all, Ubi already got theirs. Correct?

If that were the case, then what is to stop ED from 'gifting' all FC3 owners with a chunk of code that eliminates the LockOn requirement (tn the modules are). After all, Ubi already got theirs. Correct?

No flaming cliffs is the product they own the name and rights to it and as you can see Ed is selling planes without the flaming cliff name as modules. So they can indeed give them away if they wanted. They are decoupling it from fc to get away from ubisofts restrictions.

Unless we can get those modules in steam and get bs2 and h1 I won't be moving over as I would lose too much that I have already paid for. I'm a steam fan but I have no issues with my dcsw standalone install so no lose here. In fact if I were to change there would be a lose

Edited by pii

If Flaming Cliffs 3 is using assets were created while Eagle Dynamics was under contract with Ubisoft, it means Ubisoft owns those assets, not Eagle Dynamics. For every copy of Flaming Cliffs 3 that Eagle Dynamics sells, they owe Ubisoft a royalty on the assets used, unless the PC it is being installed on already owns a licensed copy of Lock On or Flaming Cliffs as the user has already paid that licensing fee for Eagle Dynamics.

The newer modules being released on Steam can be assumed to be cross-content free, since they are using the DCS World engine and have at this point replaced all content assets that were shared when Ubisoft was involved back with Lock On.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

No flaming cliffs is the product they own the name and rights to it and as you can see Ed is selling planes without the flaming cliff name as modules.

Really?

FCmodule_zps5d867b30.jpg